What I Got Today!

Brac

Marantz welcome to the forum.

I picked up these today at an estate sale. No tags but I think they are Heresy I. They need to be refoamed but the cabinets are in decent shape

Yes those appear to be Heresies, look at the back of the edge and see what there is for a serial number.  I bet those would sound great on a Marantz 1040.

• Like 1

so do you like them in the vertical or the horizontal position?

Ok glad you brought this up.  Tonight I will be playing around with them, last night I did program the recommended eq settings.  Which brings up a quick question, will the factory recommended settings make a difference if they are vertical or horizontal?  I know my ears will be the ones to decide, but I am just curious as I don't quite know how to read polar responses to get an idea how they would react horizontally.  I will say running the factory recommended eq settings, did make a difference in sound.  Aesthetically I think horizontally looks cooler, kind of like the K402 but with a diffraction slot.

which way you position the horn will only impact the dispersion of the horn your EQ will be the same either way. With the slot vertical you will have wider horizontal dispersion than vertical and the reverse will be true when you rotate the horn. Which you like will depend upon your room and your own taste so do try both. If you get some open cell foam to insert into the throat up to the end of the diffraction slot then you only need to paint the horns up to that point since you won't be seeing any farther than that with the foam installed. Good luck happy listening.

Edited by moray james

Currently in vertical, I will say the sweet spot is very large which is nice for moving about the room.  After some listening in this position I will rotate them.

if you get some open cell foam to insert into the throat up to the end of the diffraction slot

Wouldn't that clog the sound in the throat?

Are you saying some very thin stuff?

Edited by duder1982

Went to a yard sale just because it was just around the corner from me. This was in the free box because the remote was lost. I took it, I thought to myself it's free, what have I got to lose, and I need a new player on my deck? Turns out it's quite a good find....post-18926-0-18580000-1434926484_thumb.j

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 2

My pair of Othorns have arrived can't wait to fire them up.

How was the shipping on those? I just read through the whole thread on the designing and building of those. I've never used a sub with anything, but this has piqued my interest.

Bruce

• Like 1

nW Florida

My Dad's part time home is in NW Florida.

Good for him; it is a nice place. Plan to Retire there, or Cuba.

Cuba is getting a lot of exposure, looks like it has a lot of nice places.

My Dad has a home about 20 miles northeast of Panama City, we built it about 25 years ago. It's on Compass Lake, pretty secluded. The good part is we can drive there from Indy in about 11 hours. Leave early in the morning, be at the beach that night.

• Like 1

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!