Your First Three Cars

Ceptorman

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

It's still a work in progress. Its for on of our customers car. It has the all aluminum LS1 engine in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the heads have stellite seats and the block cast iron liners? Are the studs on the heads hellicoiled and also the mains on the block?

JJK

It has all the goodies The base engine was around 26,000
It's a bear to get parts for. As for the inside of the engine that's a need to know basis. Lol
Top Secret stuff. The owner is very hush hush on what's been done to the inside of it. I'll post the dyno pulls when it's ready
We have a I ground floor dyno here in the shop and dyno most of the cars that we do work on so the customer has facts to back up his claims about his car

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I apologize if I'm opening an old wound, but your post prompts me to ask two questions.  Are the Camaros listed in reverse order of ownership?  Whatever possessed you to go from  a Z/28 to a K-car; a very nice K-car, but still a fwd K-car?

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

They are listed in order of ownership. I was young and the dealer approved me (first credit loan)and the gasoline / repairs were killing my wallet with the Z-28. 

Plus, hindsight is 20/20 :(

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

I'll take that POS off your hands. Lol

Long gone....Living in California now it probably would be fun to have but trying to keep it running in Michigan which is where I was then was PITA.

• Like 1

1973 Ford Galaxie 500. Powder blue. Hand-me-down from my parents. Got me through college. Everyone laughed at it until they got too drunk at a party to drive themselves home (I don't drink, so I was the perpetual designated driver).

1983 Ford F150 4x4. Loved that truck.

1991 Ford Explorer. My boss told me that I needed to drive something more "dignified" than a pickup truck. Should have stayed with a pickup truck.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I have had several SS and Z-28 Camaros from 302 to 427 c.i.

always, even to this day, wish I had one of those.  my GF has an '01 Z-28, V-8 6 sp, 90k on it.  still runs pretty good but nothing like those cars

fwiw, mine were:

'70 Chevelle Malibu 2 dr, 307, 3 on a tree

80-something Olds Starfire V-6 auto hatchback.  a fun little car

the one I liked the best:

'70 Cutlass Supreme, 2 dr, 350 4 bbl console auto

my buddies called that one the Lead Sled.  I guess that was true.  of all the ones I had, that is the one I still wish I had.

• Like 1

I have a quiz for you guys and girls.

Please pm me your answers and I will post who, if any got the right answer

On a Chevy with a 302 engine.

What power accessories could you have with the 302 engine

One. Power brakes

Two. A/C

Three. Power steering

Four. Automatic transmission

Five. All of the above

Six. None of the above

Remember please PM me your answer and I will post the results of who got the answers correct

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

That was a favorite vehicle to slap a Chevy small block into.

Carl,

It might be easier to list the vehicles into which no one ever slapped a Chevy small block.  If one can be shoehorned between 2 wheels, what vehicles are excluded?

download.jpg

• Like 2

Ok ok guys.  I'm getting some crazy answers here

this is the answer to my question 

#6. None of the above 

Reason for this is the Chevrolet 302 which only used for a few years in a very  select few  cars

it was designed for the quarter mile track

it was a high rpm motor 7000+ RPMs with very very little   it had such little Horsepower and  torqueat 600 to 900 rpm idle, so little that you could not even have an automatic transmission on it because if you put  your foot on the pedal with it in drive the motor would stall, these motors did not develop horsepower and or torque until they reach the 5000 RPM range and above I have built several that have reached up to 10,000 RPM and where reliable for at least 20 to 25 quarter-mile laps before we had to rebuild them again

if anyone is questioning this please do some research on the history of Chevrolet small blocks

the 302 was in no way shape or fourm a 327,350 or 400 sb 

so if you see a  Camaro claiming to have a 302 in it and saying that it's original and if you see power brakes ,power steering ,air-conditioning or an automatic transmission this was not an original 302 car.  If memory serves me right that motor only came in the Camaro ,but I am sure that I'm wrong on that so please correct me if I am because I'd like to know what other models it was in 

History of Chevrolet from a Ford man 🛠

• Like 1

There's a story behind the "61 Beetle mentioned in my 1st cars post.  The car was driven by my friend's mother, and by her two teenage sons, until someone blew the 36hp four banger.

My 17-yo friend's father sent him and his 19-yo  brother to the local Chevy dealer in Grand Haven, MI to get a replacement.  In that small community the dealer knew the father, and there was no problem regarding credit or payment.  The boys selected a car that looked exactly like the attached photo.  It was 350hp, 4-speed, posi w/o power steering or brakes.  Parallel parking it was an exercise.

Not surprisingly, the mother never drove it.  Shortly thereafter it was totaled in a head on collision in the driveway.  The driveway was really a private road shared by several neighbors with lakefront property on Spring Lake.   When the vegetation was in full bloom, it was difficult to see oncoming cars.  The collision was with a neighbor.  My friend broke his nose, but was more devastated by the loss of the SS396.

His father was not to be fooled again.  He ordered the replacement, which was an Impala with 327 automatic and power everything.

Later I purchased the Beetle, installed a Corvair engine and had it painted Mustang Poppy Red (orange).

sucs_0732_02_z+1966_chevy_chevelle_ss396+front_passenger_side_view.jpg

The 1968 and '69 DZ 302 Z/28 Camaros were rated by factor at 290 hp but dyno'd near 400 hp. They had to be under 305 c.i. for CanAm. No a/c and no automatics. '69 added 4 wheel disc brakes. Optional headers and traction bars were delivered in trunk. Cross ram 2x4 intake was a dealer installed item.

Very rare in 1967 year.

• Like 2