Hurricane Irma 2017

Travis In Austin

13 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Can you still see the remnants of the Flagler railroad buttresses beside the road south of Key Largo?

If you go down there you should at least be cognizant of that storm about a hundred years ago.

Never been below Marathon but, think there are remnants of the old road to the keys and some railroad presence from awhile ago in history.

A tourist would know maybe for sure or a south Florida native.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

Right now most models predict this storm will go right up the Eastern Seaboard or over land and not in the Gulf of Mexico. 

models.jpg

I think it's safe to say that Florida if Fk'ed, she'll be a Cat 10 by the time she reaches FL.  I feel an IBC wind code change in the not to distant future.

• Moderators

185 Mph winds

Pressure 916 mb.

The only "good" outcome.for.S. Fla is ot hits Cuba, or South of Cuba and then it het sucked into Gulf where it can regroup and slam into us somewheres else.

I agree with @Gilbert, I think they are going to have to reconfigure the Saffir-Simpson scale.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Can you still see the remnants of the Flagler railroad buttresses beside the road south of Key Largo?

If you go down there you should at least be cognizant of that storm about a hundred years ago.

Yes, there are many sections left and they are incorporating those into the Flordia Overseas Heritage.Trail.

I think that Huricane that wiped  out a lot of Flagler's Folly was.the Labor Day Hurricane.

When did they start naming them? 

• Sad 1

• Moderators

I thinknthey are going to run out of names soon 

Alphabetical List of Retired Atlantic Names

Agnes    1972
Alicia    1983
Allen    1980
Allison    2001
Andrew    1992
Anita    1977
Audrey    1957
Betsy    1965
Beulah    1967
Bob    1991
Camille    1969
Carla    1961
Carmen    1974
Carol    1954
Celia    1970
Cesar    1996
Charley    2004
Cleo    1964
Connie    1955
David    1979
Dean    2007
Dennis    2005
Diana    1990
Diane    1955
Donna    1960
Dora    1964
Edna    1968
Elena    1985
Eloise    1975
Erika    2015
Fabian    2003
Felix    2007
Fifi    1974
Flora    1963
Floyd    1999
Fran    1996
Frances    2004
Frederic    1979
Georges    1998
Gilbert    1988
Gloria    1985
Gustav    2008
Hattie    1961
Hazel    1954
Hilda    1964
Hortense    1996
Hugo    1989
Igor    2010
Ike    2008
Inez    1966
Ingrid    2013
Ione    1955
Irene    2011
Iris    2001
Isabel    2003
Isidore    2002
Ivan    2004
Janet    1955
Jeanne    2004
Joan    1988
Joaquin    2015
Juan    2003
Katrina    2005
Keith    2000
Klaus    1990
Lenny    1999
Lili    2002
Luis    1995
Marilyn    1995
Matthew    2016
Michelle    2001
Mitch    1998
Noel    2007
Opal    1995
Otto    2016
Paloma    2008
Rita    2005
Roxanne    1995
Sandy    2012
Stan    2005
Tomas    2010
Wilma    2005

To my Florida friends: stay safe! IF you find yourself needing a place to retreat to I can offer my unoccupied home in Dallas, GA (Atlanta area) sans furniture but has appliances. This house is on the market but if you need a safe haven for a bit it can be made available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fellows, none of these things coming our way are good and should not be taken lightly.  These storms of 2017 are monsters and Jose is right behind Irma.  This will be a devastating hurricane season.  I was in Puerto Rico 6 months ago and that Island paradise will not be the same experience for a longtime.  The upcoming devastation marks an historic hurricane seans that has a later half to it.  Stay safe my friends and get out of harms ways.  No second guesting mother nature, she does not loose!

• Like 1

When I was working in Greenland in 1973 we had a storm of 168 knots (not mph, that's when the anemometer blew away which was documented on the recorder) that blew the metal roof off the steel/concrete reinforced building including the radar antenna and the 60 ft. fiberglass/plywood  radome. The wind would pick up small stones and hurl them at the building and sandblast the metal shell. The windows were triple pane, each pane 1/4" thick with wire reinforcement and the stones would just bounce off. I don't know what the glass was made of.  I did take 16mm films of it but the furious nature of the storm was not apparent on the film.

JJK

I don't know. This thing is so big, the only way it's going miss anything is by taking a hard right back out to the Atlantic - which isn't likely to happen. I think Florida is screwed - hopefully the thing loses some steam before it gets there. 

20 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

I don't like the green line to the right.  That's Wilmington, NC.

My son is in Law Enforcement in N Myrtle Beach.  LE has already let everybody know it's all hands on deck starting this week.  If you follow that green line it goes right through Baltimore/DC area.  Not good.

Speaking personally there is a red line that reaches into southern West Virginia!  We've had rain from dissipated hurricanes but never hurricane level wind and rain, at least not that I can remember,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I think that Huricane that wiped  out a lot of Flagler's Folly was.the Labor Day Hurricane.

I have relatives who live there and as a kid I spent a summer in Key Largo.  They still talk about that hurricane.  It literally scraped the topsoil off the coral.  Many bad decisions were made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_Labor_Day_hurricane

375px-Train_derailed_by_the_1935_hurrica

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Deang said:

I don't know. This thing is so big, the only way it's going miss anything is by taking a hard right back out to the Atlantic - which isn't likely to happen. I think Florida is screwed - hopefully the thing loses some steam before it gets there. 

It IS big but the farther you are away from the eye, the less damage you'll see.  I know that sounds obvious but 50 miles can make a huge difference in what type of conditions you'll see and eye predictions aren't that accurate at this point.