Heresy IV

McBlueMeter

• Moderators
Just now, whitebird said:

They played the Heresy's (at my request) but they were going back and forth since they had two identical systems, one each for the Heresy and one for the Cornwall.  On the other question, guys with glasses and goatee....

That's @Chief bonehead, he is the Engineer that did the revision from the Mk. 2 to Mk. 3, and the very latest Mk 3 to Mk. 4 you saw and heard, along with updating the CW this year and the Khorn and La Scala last year.

He worked with Paul Klipsch on his last speaker design and published an article with Paul about it.

He is one cool cat

Actually you can trust and believe both of them.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, whitebird said:

They played the Heresy's (at my request) but they were going back and forth since they had two identical systems, one each for the Heresy and one for the Cornwall.  On the other question, guys with glasses and goatee....

Welcome to the Forum by the way.

And those Heresy's are just great speakers.

17 hours ago, whitebird said:

They played the Heresy's (at my request) but they were going back and forth since they had two identical systems, one for the Heresy and one for the Cornwall.  On the other question, guy with glasses and goatee....

Since Chief Bonehead actually has a "Van Dyke" beard, and NOT a "goatee"...was it really Him? 

Either way, I can just see Roy's mind working and him thinking:  "Now I have yet another option for another clandestine forum moniker:  Guy with glasses and goatee...lemme see if the forum will take that for a moniker...hmmmm...maybe goatee and glasses guy?....or maybe...."

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

The "limiting factor" which caused the Heresy to be a three-way "CLOSED BOX" design (AKA "sealed cabinet" design) was directly due to the use of a short excursion woofer in it.  With the short-excursion woofer, a sealed cabinet was a necessity to keep the voice coil from being damaged from "slamming" at high-output levels.  .........

This issue can be somewhat nullified with the use of a longer excursion woofer...thus allowing for tuned porting of the speaker....it is what it is.  ..........

Hi Andy!

While this is mostly true, there are so many more important parameters that determine whether a woofer should be in a sealed or ported cabinet and none of them is Xmax.  A sealed cabinet ALLOWS a short Xmax woofer to play louder at lower frequencies without damage and, most important to me, its LF roll-off is a 6 dB/octave slope where a ported design is 12 dB/octave.  And while a long Xmax woofer performs better at LF in  ported box that does not make it suitable for one.  A K-33-E has a relatively large Xmax at 8.2 mm, but is used in mostly sealed cabinets.  The Cornwall exception results in an enormous cabinet, because of the K-33-Es mechanical and electrical properties, not its Xmax. 

I suspect a sealed cabinet was chosen to make the cabinet smaller with a woofer Mr. Paul liked or found acceptable.  His concern about cabinet volume was indeed to protect the selected woofer.  After all, Frampton, Heart, Thin Lizzy and Skynyrd were popular then and we all loved shaking the walls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rivernuggets said:

Gene.gif

Quit whining!  Just remember you heard it from me first!  You're in for a big surprise...the little runt of the ORIGINAL Heritage line has finally gotten past puberty, grown bigger in every way, and it's voice is clearer and deeper!!  Due to its approximately one-inch-taller-in-height interior dimensions being necessary for its move to allow for its  rear TRAKTRIX PORTING, there follows suit that new box panel sets had to be arranged for its increase in side panel height, along with most likely a longer shipping carton to accomodate its new outside dimensions height...which will therefore logically mean a bit longer of a wait for it to reach full production...and be ready for shipping.  But, I figure that has been in the works enough time that sometime around the End of November they will begin showing up at dealers....taking a bit longer to do so than the Cornwall IV.  Thanksgiving time-frame may actually be a good idea for its "official" introduction, especially for Heresy fans...because they have good reason to be thankful to Klipsch for what they will be hearing from the little guy of the original Heritage line-up!...IMHO!  I'm quite sure that PWK is somewhere grinning from ear to ear over his heretical baby's improvements!😉

• Like 1