Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

Nothing like politicizing a public health issue.  Don't forget to deflect blame by finger pointing.  There, now you have all the talking points you need.  Remember, its us vs. them!  Basically it is the only sport left to the masses.  Enjoy!

There are four contributors to the site, John H. Hinderaker, Scott W. Johnson, Paul Mirengoff, and Steven Hayward, all of which are attorneys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

@tigerwoodKhorns

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cruise-ship-data-helps-reveal-coronavirus-death-rate-researchers

CORRECTION:  Shouldn't have tried to post numbers from memory.  Looked at the article again, and it says that the death rate is 0.5% and that is still way higher than the flu. 

Data from Princess Cruises says Diamond Princess is on a 14-day round trip itinerary, which departed from Yokohama (Tokyo) on January 20 and is scheduled to return on February 4. There are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew onboard.

So, 3,711 were onboard.  According to the article, 697 tested positive. So, what's that ... around 18% tested positive. 

7 died -- .01%

45 are either still in critical condition or were once in critical condition -- .06% 

Average passenger age was 58, with 33% being 70 or older.

OK, if 697 were positive and 7 die, that is a morality rate of 1%.  It is 0.1% if you include those that are not infected on the ship. 

You can go by whatever numbers you wish, but my concern is what are my chances if I get it. 

5 hours ago, Pete H said:

In the end, the world needs to hold China accountable first and foremost.  It's long overdue to stop being dependent on a communist country and "cheap" being the driving force.  Decades of letting manufacturing and technology leave the country, unbalanced trade, ridiculous spending and the general population wanting to argue over politics like pigs being led to the slaughter.  Time to put personal views of individuals aside and figure out a way to hold these idiots accountable.  They just passed a bill that one of the "no votes" claimed they didn't even have an opportunity to read and that's supposed to be their job.  I have yet to be able to find the actual "Corona relief bill" that was passed so i can read it for myself, so if any of you have, please post the link.

We need an actual plan to hold China accountable for trade practices, etc.  We are in a very difficult situation with China.  WHat happens if they stop buying our debt in retaliation?  

Unfortunately, in this situation, they are the wealthy family and we are the drunken, gambling uncle who always has to borrow money. 

3 hours ago, Greg_M said:

The wife is and has been doing research on protective attitudes.

She found an article that states the 70% alcohol is more effective than higher percentages.

I have some 99.9% alcohol for cleaning of camera filters which I probably will not use now.

The last time we took the 80 mile trip to Socorro she bought a bottle of cheap 180 proof vodka to make hand sanitizer from. It's far cheaper and much more available than commercial hand sanitizer now. Add aloe and maybe essential oils and you have hand sanitizer. She paid $18 for a container of (Smirnoff) vodka which equaled 2 fifths.

I applaud researching, but please dig deeper.  What you posted is accurate for bacteria.  It has something to do with killing the bacteria too quickly and essentially sealing the cells with the bad stuff still active inside.  I likely have made a mess of what actually happens, but this is what I remember. 

For viruses, anything over 60% is supposed to do the trick.  I guess Bacardi 151 is OK, but regular 80 proof will need to be drank. 

Please correct me if I am wrong.  Knowledge is power and I want to know. 

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Old magazines and papers if you have it. Crumble pages up and such can make some more accommodating ...in a pinch...

LOL.  I actually know this, not from using it but when I was a kid and bored in school I remember crumbling paper until it turned into a tissue.  I told jokingly my wife that is we ran out of TP we had this as a backup plan.  I just got a dirty look in response.

• Haha 1

Not to touch the earth, not to see the sun
Nothing left to do but
Run, run, run
Let's run, let's run

House upon the hill, moon is lying still
Shadows of the trees
Witnessing the wild breeze
C'mon baby run with me let's run

Run with me
Run with me
Run with me
Let's run

The mansion is warm, at the top of the hill
Rich are the rooms and the comforts there
Red are the arms of luxuriant chairs
And you won't know a thing till you get inside

Dead President's corpse in the driver's car
The engine runs on glue and tar
Come on along, not goin' very far
To the East to meet the Czar

Run with me
Run with me
Run with me
Let's run, whoa!

Some outlaws lived by the side of a lake
The minister's daughter's in love with the snake
Who lives in a well by the side of the road
Wake up girl, we're almost home, ya come

We should see the gates by mornin'
We should be inside the evenin'
Sun, sun, sun
Burn, burn, burn
Soon, soon, soon
Moon, moon, moon

I will get you, soon, soon, soon
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything

•  

• Like 1

OK, some perspective.  It has been about 18 days since the CDC said "your lives may be disturbed"  in a public announcement.  Since then, we have quarantine, major events cancelled, schools shut down and a TP shortage in the USA. 

Let's not freak out, but this is a great example of exponential growth and a good model of what to expect in the next weeks. 

Hopefully the drastic measures will have some effect to slow the spread to keep the load 'manageable' on our hospitals.  Italy is using triage, there is not much to stop us from going the same route.  Minimal testing, denying there is a problem, etc.  So it is up to each of us to take this seriously, take precautions and respect others.  I was pleasantly surprised to see everyone in the store trying to respect others space. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

my concern is what are my chances if I get it.

exactly.  I've come to the conclusion that we just can't isolate ourselves from the outside world.  Despite being cautious when I was grocery shopping yesterday, sanitized by hands, the cart, etc... I grab a bottle of vitamin water that I purchased and realize that the cashier handled EVERYTHING that I purchased, and she had touched everything that every customer ahead of me had handled. Are we supposed to rinse everything off when we get home -- would that even be effective?  there is a point where we just have to pray that whoever handled things before us was clear. 

So, I get to the point where the cross my fingers method is the only thing left to do.

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

exactly.  I've come to the conclusion that we just can't isolate ourselves from the outside world.  Despite being cautious when I was grocery shopping yesterday, sanitized by hands, the cart, etc... I grab a bottle of vitamin water that I purchased and realize that the cashier handled EVERYTHING that I purchased, and she had touched everything that every customer ahead of me had handled. Are we supposed to rinse everything off when we get home -- would that even be effective?  there is a point where we just have to pray that whoever handled things before us was clear. 

So, I get to the point where the cross my fingers method is the only thing left to do.

Hocus pocus (not the song).

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The founding fathers are all crying like the actor native American in the litter commercial (ooh, fake!  he wasn't really native American)

maybe they weren't even real tears ... did anyone ever test the tears?