Klipschorn AK6 75th Anniversary Heritage Speakers on Audiogon

michaelwjones

I may be becoming a grumpy old guy.

I lived for many years with a previous version of Klipschorns (1982s). They sounded good and I enjoyed them. 

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the sound from the new vs older versions is probably fairly similar (in spite of the marketing that "new" equals "improved"). 

The veneer looks nice, but other veneers also look nice and in neither case it will it affect the sound quality. Also, I am indifferent to the possible merits of the units being an "anniversary edition".

So where does that leave us. A pair of (slightly used) Klipschorns for nearly $15K. That seems like a good deal of money and for what? I periodically see Klipschorns  for sale in New England for far less money ($3K to $6K).

I guess I am grumpy, but there are much better deals out there.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
12 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I lived for many years with a previous version of Klipschorns (1982s). They sounded good and I enjoyed them. 

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the sound from the new vs older versions is probably fairly similar (in spite of the marketing that "new" equals "improved"). 

The veneer looks nice, but other veneers also look nice and in neither case it will it affect the sound quality. Also, I am indifferent to the possible merits of the units being an "anniversary edition".

So where does that leave us. A pair of (slightly used) Klipschorns for nearly $15K. That seems like a good deal of money and for what? I periodically see Klipschorns  for sale in New England for far less money ($3K to $6K).

Hearing is believing. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

yes and no, these are the newer versions with enclosed backs, only 75 made, diamond inlays on the emblem, used only as demo and don't forget

• 1 pair of T5II Gunmetal headphones engraved with the 75th logo and numbered to reflect the number of the speakers……example 65/75, etc.
    3 minutes ago, RandyH said:
    17 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I periodically see Klipschorns  for sale in New England for far less money ($3K to $6K)

Please post  the links to these $3K to $6K  khorns in New England on the Alerts , tx

Even at $3k how old are they?  are they 9.5 out of 10, only used in demo settings, ETC..  I think there's more to understand when it comes to pricing.   

39 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Yes, there are better deals out there. Several pair on ebay right now and there's no telling how many deals on FBMP. I'm guessing that you already know that the leg humper isn't really going to buy any so there no need posing them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Not grumpy, just real.  Leg humper?  That’s a new one…..

I have heard the AK6 khorns are a dealer several times with various amps. I have vintage khorns with recapped crossovers and I feel like the AK6 khorns sound significantly better than mine while using some of the same amps that I brought home for a demo. My wife keeps saying she wants to replace ours with new khorns. I'm still trying to hold out for jubes. 

• Like 2