BOSE

Bose has done a masterful job of propagandizing the uninformed segment of the Β market, a brilliant strategy really . Most Bose owners Β are quite satisfied with their underperforming speakers . They Β assume that their Bose speakers are a high end product , and they aren’t likely to second guess their decision to purchase . Bose Β buyers Β are not audio enthusiasts or critical listeners, they are just buyers of a perceived high end brand , and that’s important to them . Darn good marketing sells Bose . πŸ€“

• Like 4

Years ago I bought a Thorens turntable from a guy in an upscale neighborhood. He was selling his entire system, McIntosh electronics and Magnepan speakers. I asked what he replaced all that with and he showed me a Bose Lifestyle system. He alluded that his wife was instrumental in this mind boggling decision...πŸ™„

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, the real Duke Spinner said:

What does BOSE stand for ??

Dr. Anwar Bose, MIT educated audio engineer...based his design on proportional reflected vs. direct sound waves.

Β 

I visited the Bose headquarters in Massachusetts with an engineer friend of mine back in the late 70's.

Β 

All I remember is they had one huge, amazing anechoic test chamber.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Years ago I bought a Thorens turntable from a guy in an upscale neighborhood. He was selling his entire system, McIntosh electronics and Magnepan speakers. I asked what he replaced all that with and he showed me a Bose Lifestyle system. He alluded that his wife was instrumental in this mind boggling decision...πŸ™„

He should have gotten rid of the wife. A woman with so little understanding, is not worth having.Β 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 9/7/2023 at 2:08 PM, Tom05 said:

Bose has done a masterful job of propagandizing the uninformed segment of the Β market, a brilliant strategy really . Most Bose owners Β are quite satisfied with their underperforming speakers . They Β assume that their Bose speakers are a high end product , and they aren’t likely to second guess their decision to purchase . Bose Β buyers Β are not audio enthusiasts or critical listeners, they are just buyers of a perceived high end brand , and that’s important to them . Darn good marketing sells Bose . πŸ€“

My ex biz partner is incredibly proud of his Wave RadioΒ 

Perhaps

That is why we are ex biz partners. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ™ƒ

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Back in the early 80's I took my cousin, who was shopping for a system. with me to a shop.Β  I don't know what I needed but it wasn't much.Β  Maybe album sleeves or something.Β  I saw him talkin to some guy and figured he was pickin the guy's brain.Β 

Β 

I had the big Marantz receiver, a Dual 1229 w/a Shure V-15 on it running into a pair of ESS AMT-1.Β  He'd heard it and liked it but man was i suprised.Β  I paid for my stuff and he was still talkin.Β 

Β 

The dude went somewhere to do something so I asked if he was just about ready to go.Β  He said no he just bought a pair of 901's, the Bose amp and was waiting on the dude to get some other dude cause he was payin cash for it all.Β  I flipped out.Β  Yup, he did and loaded it up in the car to bring it home.Β 

Β 

Soooo they sent him home w/no speaker wire.Β  There it sat w/no wire.Β  I let it sit there and came home.Β  He called a week later and wanted me to hear it.Β  Sad.Β  ALL that money for nuttin.Β  He's still got those things hangin and is still playin em.Β  He said they're fine and his wife loves 'em.Β  Yup, I'm shakin my head just like you are.

Β 

Then about 5 years ago Steve Ferrone show'd up @ Sweetwater in FT. Wayne, IN.Β  It'd been a couple years since we'd talked so I slipped out to shoot the crap.Β  Then another friend Justin Johnson (the guy who plays the spade shovel guitar) was gonna be reppin for someone.Β  Killed two birds w/one stone.Β  Β Perfect!

Β 

Headed outside and there was a big Bose tent w/people going in and out so I figured I'd go in for a laff.Β  Two guys stopped me at the door of the tent and told me I wasn't allowed to come in.Β  I said wtf, WHY is that?Β  One guy pointed to my 75th Anniversary Klipsch hat and said "that's a no no."Β  Β I laffed in their faces and said it's a shame you're reppin bullshit and walked away.Β  Not a word outta 'em.Β  roflΒ  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They have been creative and successful in the lifestyle product market.Β For many that is all they want.

Their penetration of the commercial market ( pubs and restaurants) with their 301s is huge. You see them everywhere, including our local pub across the street.

Would be interesting to see them attempt proper speakers at some point.

• Like 4

For small bars and lower volume venues. I heard a three piece group with one of the other Bose products and it was ok... the group was excellent, in spite of the p.a. system.

Β 

I also heard a couple of singers using backing tracks in a gymnasium with a Bose system... they were beautiful, the sound was absolutely terrible.

Β 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/F1Pack--bose-f1-model-812-and-powered-subwoofer-pair

• Haha 1

I stood outside that tent looking in and there were about 20 "Bose guys" w/preppy red sport shirts on w/the Bose insignia on them one-on-one selling their garbage.Β  When I saw that I HAD to go in just to listen to the "Bullshit."Β  I saw 'em eyeballin me and when they pointed to my hat I ALMOST took it off just to go in.Β  Then I had a PWK moment.Β Β πŸ˜‚πŸ’ͺπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What really kills me is when someone refers to a quality brand of gear and asks, "Is it as good as Bose?"

Β 

In the Bose Lifestyle system, the low frequency speaker is called a "bass module", not a subwoofer. Β Is this because a government agency found out they don't go nearly deep enough to be called subwoofers, or did they apply that name without being required to?

• Like 2