2023 Subfest (A Bonehead Class) Reports, Photos, Etc.

34 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Naming contest? I saw somewhere that someone suggested the Deep Roy, so that could be:

Deep Roy 1/I 2/II . . . 4/IV, or KDR-1, KDR-2

Or, hmmmm, names of Organs that go to C(-1), that’s 8 Hz one in Atlantic City, one in Australia for the two largest subs, there are several that go to C(0), someone said that at one time PWK was aware of every organ in Europe that could hit a 16 Hz tone/note. An Octobass can play 16Hz. 

Or singers with a bass voice, the Barry White, IP/clearance problems. 

Being Heritage, they should definitely have names, not letter/number designations.  I like the idea of naming them for famous organs.  The line of subs can be called Deep Roy Subwoofers.  🙂 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Travis In Austin said:

here might be some stuff that’s close, but all four are patented so technically nothing is going to be precisely in the ball park in terms of design and performance is there?

Well the 1802 and 1502 are also patented and when tuned can go as deep, but you have to realize that even the 1502 is roughly the size of 2 of the largest of the new subs. So your right the previous designs take up MUCH more space which rule them out for most people/rooms so these designs are special with the performance VS size differences.

1 hour ago, Travis In Austin said:

I really don’t know, but am guessing based on people who got the 1802 and the limited run of 1502’s, that there isn’t a lot out there in the horn-loaded bass dept, with that footprint. 

1502 here and performance yes but at a steep tradeoff of double the size compared to what will come out, so this will be a big deal, anyone can fit one of these 4 new subs.

But room size is no problem so I really love my sub, I but could easily see where many would consider the new designs with a size for any room and still keep the performance.

They will be a big hit and go down as a true Heritage product in years to come.

• Like 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, MMurg said:

Being Heritage, they should definitely have names, not letter/number designations.  I like the idea of naming them for famous organs.  The line of subs can be called Deep Roy Subwoofers.  🙂 

I told Roy it would be cool if they could come up with names that PWK would think of, but who knows really.

• Like 1

the  subs  designation can correlate with  klipsch Heritage Vented sub 1 through 4

KHVS1  - small / klipsch Heritage  vented sub no 1

KHVS2 - medium /  no 2

KHVS3 - large     /   no 3

KHVS4 - Xlarge  /   no 4

Here is a group of max output response curves for the new subwoofers.  However, it requires some interpretation.  They were run in 1/2 space and at 2 meters (I'm glad I wasn't Jesse that day!).  You should add 6 db for a 1m rating to compare to most other speakers and another 3 to 6 dB for indoor use, depending on placement and room size/shape. 

You can see the small one can cover any common music note, even Ao, 2 steps below the open B on an 5-string bass. 

New Klipsch Subs Curves.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no experience with a subwoofer, and now I'm wondering two things. If I only listen to music on my AL-5, mainly jazz, acoustic music, and occasionally some light pop – but no electronic music with deep bass, movies, etc. – would a horn sub still add enough to the music to justify purchasing it? And what will the horn sub add, only the lower tones that the LaScala cannot reproduce, or will the entire low range sound more full?

Like the idea of the Little Big Horn. Frequency range given should overlap the LS bottom end well enough for some folk. Adjustable.

The medium seems also awe-inspired given the physics. Doing so without taking up much real estate seems incredible.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Flevoman said:

I have no experience with a subwoofer, and now I'm wondering two things. If I only listen to music on my AL-5, mainly jazz, acoustic music, and occasionally some light pop – but no electronic music with deep bass, movies, etc. – would a horn sub still add enough to the music to justify purchasing it? And what will the horn sub add, only the lower tones that the LaScala cannot reproduce, or will the entire low range sound more full?

I use to wonder the same things especially with my UG Jubs but after I added the KPT-1502-HLS prototype to the system I was amazed at the amount of realism it added to many recordings that you would never expect. For example I love a lot of the older acoustic blues recordings and when the sub was added I was shocked at the increased sense of the acoustical space of the recordings with an increased spaciousness/envelopment with the musicians clearly more defined/realistic within that space. There is also a perception of increased clarity in the rest of the spectrum with an improved overall tonal balance which is especially and easily audible when you turn the sub off and on.

After experiencing this sub with my La Scala AL5s and my UG Jubs I really don’t consider it an option but actually an essential part of the systems which brings the systems to another level that IMHO isn’t possible with any electronic improvements someone could add to their system if they already have descent equipment.

IMHO Roy’s vented horn loaded subs are the absolute cutting edge designs with shocking clarity that makes someone feel as if you can actually count the frequency cycles being reproduced which I have never experienced with any other sub design types. The clarity/definition is incredible with Roy’s horn/vent sub design.

IMHO Subs of these qualities when added to your systems will connect you with the musical performance in such vital ways to realism that until you have experienced it most listeners simply can’t imagine. 

miketn 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, Flevoman said:

The practical lower limit of a La Scala is about 60 Hz.  A, D, C, G is an extremely common bass line sequence in music including acoustic genres like folk, jazz and Bluegrass.  That A is about 55 Hz, D is 73, C is 65 and G is 49.  E (41 Hz) and F (44 Hz, "Angel Of Harlem") are a!so quite common.  "Beseme Mucho" has a 37 Hz D in it. 

Properly calibrated, a subwoofer will only add the low notes a La Scala cannot reproduce and you will not be able to detect its presence.  I would not be satisfied without subwoofers and I am not a bass head.  If I can hear a sub, it's 10 dB too loud. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 11/17/2023 at 12:38 AM, Travis In Austin said:

Here is a link to the featured Reference Track for the SubFest Bonehead Class.

Roy was in a quandary, he couldn’t find anything music wise that had a true fundamental in the 15 to 16hZ range. What to do?

You call your resident Renaissance Man if you are lucky enough to have one, and KGI/PAC does in fact have one, Matt Sommers.

Link to the two cuts which Matt collectively named “Deep Roy” with a description of the musical keys, and lowest fundamental frequency.

Enjoy on your favorite system/headphones. 

If you are wondering why Matt has such a long silent intro on track 2 . . . well I will let those who were there explain it and what the intro does to the listening room couch.

Enjoy, courtesy of a true Renaissance Man (in the highest Quattro cento sense of that moniker)

https://www.mattsommers.net/deep-roy/

Below I have listed the rest of the songs I played for subfest

Bonnie Raitt. Good man, good woman

bela fleck and the flecktones. Flight of the cosmic hippo

bass mekanik. Bring the bass back

the refused. Bruitist pome #5

Tool. Invincible 

roger waters. Amused to death

stevie ray vaughan. Little wing

yello. Umbria

boz scaggs. Thanks to you. 

and Matt’s two songs that Travis listed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4