Chief Bonehead Class Spring 2024 - New Iterations of the La Scala and Klipschorn Coming

2 hours ago, pnort said:

Will I be able to upgrade a pair of 1972 Khorns?

Very unlikely.  Any upgrade kit for these coming La Scala and Khorn changes will likely be limited to AL5/AK6 owners, because the horn for current Celestion tweeter (which is being carried over from the AL5/AK6) would require cabinet changes to accommodate it.  I don't know if Klipsch would sell the kit plus the current tweeter assembly to those with older models who are willing to do the cabinet changes themselves.

1 hour ago, MMurg said:

These prototypes are using standard AL5 cabinets.  That bottom hole is just for the wire from the bass bin to come through to go to the crossover, which is in the top cabinet on the AL5.  The terminal cup on top of the bass bin is right below that hole.  The round hole in the back is there because with the old, really long K-401 horn, the midrange driver does not fit within the top hat.  The driver sticks into that hole.  I imagine that the rear hole will be eliminated in the new version.

Thanks Michael! I didn't think Roy would be channeling Dennis... at least not so overtly.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 5:28 PM, MMurg said:

The subject of this class was to introduce the changes coming in the next iterations of the La Scala and Klipschorn (presumably the AL6 and AK7 respectively).  We got a tease of the changes at SubFest last fall, but during this class Roy finally revealed the details.  Just remember that all of this information is preliminary and subject to change.

The first change is the replacement of the K-401 midrange horn...

Thanks for sharing the info and the pictures.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 1:25 PM, MMurg said:

Perhaps @Chief bonehead can comment on your questions.

No, he can't. PWK left us 22 years ago. Fred sold the company 12 years ago.W need to get real about this.

emos are one thing, but posting the recipe for a fine dish is a NONO for the finest chefs in the world. I just want his recipe for broiled bass with lemon butter (if he has one).

• Klipsch Employees
On 3/17/2024 at 11:30 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

No, he can't. PWK left us 22 years ago. Fred sold the company 12 years ago.W need to get real about this.

emos are one thing, but posting the recipe for a fine dish is a NONO for the finest chefs in the world. I just want his recipe for broiled bass with lemon butter (if he has one).

Why not?  Just curious as to why you know me so well….🤔

and I don’t eat bass….

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/11/2024 at 7:55 PM, jjptkd said:

All you need is 6 channels of amplification, I don't see why you couldn't accomplish this with a single 6 or 7 channel amplifier. 

And to save yourself additional trouble of adjusting levels it's better to use 6 identical channels or all same amplifiers (3 stereo).

• Like 3

To the people asking about multiple amp channels:

There are so many great multi-channel pro audio amps that slap all of that bougie "hi-fi" stuff around in terms of bang fer buck. I personally am using Crown Drivecore CDi 4|300 (1 unit, 4 channels) on my KPT904s for -home- listening and they are delightful. Cost faaaaar less than subsidising the venture capital purchase of McIntosh. I've heard so many snazzy amps and so many pro amps and I swear it's just wallet bias that makes people of a certain persuasion (that meaning: easily persuaded to part with their $$) think there is an audible difference. 

This upgrade to the La Scala is a huge vibe. I just wish you could apply it to my 1984 model year LS. 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vivi said:

This upgrade to the La Scala is a huge vibe. I just wish you could apply it to my 1984 model year LS.

Would a simple wooden stand for the new horn and driver, allow it to sit right on top of the LS cabinet? I think it would look pretty cool, if it's feasible...

3 hours ago, Speed said:

Would a simple wooden stand for the new horn and driver, allow it to sit right on top of the LS cabinet? I think it would look pretty cool, if it's feasible...

the horns  and PEQ settings are optimized to work with a baffle, so I suspect the results would be less than optimal.

On 3/21/2024 at 1:43 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Why not?  Just curious as to why you know me so well….🤔

and I don’t eat bass….

From an intellectual perspective, you are not that hard to figure out.

• Haha 2

It's spring time and love is in the air!    I'm not a big bass eater myself but I do like a lil bass.  Lake Erie perch though?  That's another story!  😂 

Now @billybob just for the record that smoked striper bass you speak of?  I might just have to stop in some day and pull up a chair w/ya.  Smoked is great!  I'll bring the Heineken.  Can't be that bad.  Never thought I'd eat catfish either til I hit the Army.  The old cook said the small ones were great and he was right!  :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

It's spring time and love is in the air!    I'm not a big bass eater myself but I do like a lil bass.  Lake Erie perch though?  That's another story!  😂 

Now @billybob just for the record that smoked striper bass you speak of?  I might just have to stop in some day and pull up a chair w/ya.  Smoked is great!  I'll bring the Heineken.  Can't be that bad.  Never thought I'd eat catfish either til I hit the Army.  The old cook said the small ones were great and he was right!  :)

Lol, yes would have to travel to Ocklawaha to catch the stripers.

Catfish are generally fried not smoked but...

Have had different smoked, all good some better, salt water fish.

Smoked black mullet is very good and available locally at times.

Dang, even a ___ likely good smoked. 

Smoking abit of an art to come out to my taste, done and not undersmoked and too mushy.

Klipsch, just right...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Flevoman said:

I'm curious about so much that's coming up. I can't wait until some more official information about the new subs and La Scala upgrade finally comes out.

Roy has made respectable performance in the "Below 80 Hz. world" of Horns with HORNS. Physics is Physics. Large, heavy lumber is not for high volume products.................a Market Reality!