THE BEST (value) KLIPSCH SPEAKER OF ALL TIME (drum roll.......)

dkalsi

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucking the consensus, as far as best bang for the buck, I'd take Fortes over Cornwalls. Corns are "larger sounding" than Fortes, but I prefer both the Forte I and Forte IIs' midrange to the Corns' mids, and to my ears the Fortes provide a more balanced sound than Corns. And yes, I've owned both.

Of course, YMMV and I can see the opposite point of view...........

Carl.

Islander,

Your absolutely right. I guess when I meant "BEST" - I actualy meant "best value".

I really enjoy my Khorns as they sound spectacular with the upgrades I have made. However, I will add that

my Cornwalls are not far behind and cost me less than 1/7th the amount I have invested in my Khorns.

Value? Well, that's a different equation. Considering how many people rate the Cornwall so highly (I've never heard a pair), along with their relatively low second-hand price, by Heritage standards, you may well be right.

I have both the Hot rod Khorns with ALK ES...blah blah....and Cornies BC Networks ect.... and yes if you consider that the cornies cost me 1/5 of Khorns it's one hell of a value....But I find that i use the cornies to listen to my poorer source material. To me that means that the Cornwalls don't reproduce the music as accurately by either adding or taking away what is in the source to make it tolerable.

Then you come to the Khorns and it's a different experience altogether!!! They are so good that I find my self listening to well recorded music types that I normally do not listen to, because the subtle detail and nuancing sends chills up and down my spine...example: I never was one for Nora Jones. Actually would turn her off on the radio. Now that I have the Khorns I can actually sit and listen to the whole LP, 2-3 time through because the "music" is so engaging.....the Cornwalls could never do that for me.

One of the best values around...Used Cornies without a doubt......The best speakers (exept for jubs perhaps) regardless of price tag Klipshorns.....

The Best value and Best Speaker has to be for me and my opinion is the Jubilee. I meant it gives great music, soundstage of absolute, and perfect playback of how the music was recorded all for around 7k when systems that cost double or even 10 or 15 that (yes we are bringing wilson audio X2 into the equation).

For best value for a certain price range I would have to say it depends: used or new as I believe the RF-83 give great bang for buck but then you can add the heritage but that is not really my flavor.

I happen to have Forte II's with Chris Munson's k-stack xovers and a NOS Valves 299 in my vintage system, I like the sound of the forte's alot huge bass hard to beat. Now I have heard Corns a long time ago, if memory serves me right the corns sounded bigger or more vast if you will. I happened across my forte's and could not pass up the deal, I would not mind trying the corns if I came across the same deal.

The difference in my main 2 channel system with k-horns and the vintage system is not compairable, alot more money in the main system and it would be unfair to try and compair the two. The k-horns are in another league period, and at the same time the vintage system has a tonal quality that I just cannot get away from that is why I keep it; plus it was my first tube set up. This is just my opinion on my systems others will be different as we all hear a little different. As far as value we all have difference of opinion there too as well, what you think is cheap may be expesive to someone else and vice versea, so the best value is going to be what ever you decide is right for you.

Jay

Can I just say something here?

Best bang for the $ has to be the Fort'e line. I have Corns, F2s, Quartets, H1s and H2s. I have heard several NICE Khorns and for the $, the Fort'e takes it. I love my Corns on tubes and that is my main 2ch setup but with the smaller footprint, big sound and low $ on the used market. Fort'es have it.

Hi Cal! Seems I've not seen you in a while? Hope things are well.

I'm staying out of this conversation since there's no real answer. We all like what we like & value what we value. Just to throw a twist into it, I think my Promedia 2.1's are an incredible value as well as my Custom 3's !!

These questions always insight quite a bit of debate. I have owned most floorstanders produced by Klipsch and can say in my opinion the best Klipsch for the money is the original Forte. Deeper bass than the Cornwall, take up less space than a Cornwall, better tweeter than a Cornwall, much smoother response than a Cornwall. Klipsch really went all out on those. I would very much like to see a Forte III added to the Heritage line.

The Cornwall is a great speaker, heck I have three pairs of them. However the Forte is the only Klipsch I like with all types of music and amplification. They sing with SS and tube.

Islander,

Your absolutely right. I guess when I meant "BEST" - I actualy meant "best value".

I really enjoy my Khorns as they sound spectacular with the upgrades I have made. However, I will add that

my Cornwalls are not far behind and cost me less than 1/7th the amount I have invested in my Khorns.

Ah, yes, the law of diminishing returns, returns! I would probably give it to the Jubilees, or my setup with the MWMS. Cornwalls are known for "slam" but nothing outslams the MWMS with 4 K33's sorry. If I had to, though, I could live with Cornwalls just fine. Used to have a few pairs over the years, but I prefer ALL horns, with subs below 50 hz.

I think the Cornwall does a better job on voices than the K-horns. Even if you pump the crap out of it, it just hangs in there. This is around the 98 db spl point.

JJK

Well I got sucked into this thread after all. Just couldn't stand it.

JJ,

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more.

I bought my first CW's in 1973 and then another pair in '75. Only to say that I have spent some time with Cornwall. The K600 horn design was simple. Fit the box. IMHO, the K600 is a relative nasty little thing. The more "you pump the crap out of it" the worse it gets. At SPL's exceeding 110db, the mids start to chew your legs off. A K400/401 (or other larger mid horns) is infinitely better for vocals. One can tame much of the so called floppy LF in the CW with a tight room, but the little K600 is always there. I don't believe that it "hangs in there" at volume. It breaks down big time.

All said, we do agree on one thing, along with Colter. If I had to chose one speaker from the original Heritage line, plug and play, best bang for the buck, it would be Cornwall.

tc

I'm with you guys on the chew your leg off. I find the old Marantz gear actually sounds alot better on the more analytical Chorus II's than it does on the colored Cornwalls.Marantz has a nice warm flavor already and doesn't appear to need the extra colorations from the speaker.I haven't heard it yet but I would bet my pocket change that the Cornwalls do indeed sound much better on tubes than ss. They are a great speaker at low to moderate volumes.