Daughter heading into surgery tomorrow

dkp

My youngest daughter, Sophia, is heading into her third open-heart surgery tomorrow. I'm sure that many of you will recall that Sophia, who turned three on August 12, was born with a series of congenital heart defects generally referred to as, "Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome." Her specific diagnosis is actually, "Hypoplastic Left Ventricle with unbalanced A/V canal," for those of you in the know, but HLHS is practically the same. She had her first surgery at eleven days of age and the second just before reaching six months.

Sophia has essentially one-half of a working heart with a single-ventricle (right) providing all of her circulatory function. These three surgeries are geared at reducing the load on that ventricle, the least efficient of the two, and maximizing the oxygen levels in her bloodstream. After this surgery there will no longer be any blood that is pumped into her lungs. Rather, it is what they call a passive flow or pressure that drains the blood into the lungs to pick up the oxygen. Sounds incredible, doesn't it?

One other key ingredient often included with this series of defects is a single upper chamber, rather than two. This creates a problem with the mixing of the highly oxygenated (red) blood with the oxygen-depleted blood (blue) which reduces the overall level of oxygen in the bloodstream. This surgery will finally separate the two which will result in a higher overall oxygen level. Again, for those of you "in the know," Sophia's O2 sat level after the first surgery was in the low 70's, quite common post Norwood. After the second surgery it gained around 10 points and is often in the 81-83 range. She should gain another 10 points or so after this third surgery.

What does this mean to Sophia? First of all, she will appear pink, instead of the blueish/gray current coloring. Additionally, she should have increased digestion times (something that has been a major struggle with her) and basically all of her major organs will benefit from the increased oxygen levels.

She will also be having a pacemaker "installed" during this surgery.

My remark earlier in the post about this being incredible should not be taken as the flip comment of a wide-eyed youngster. There are certainly many inherent risks not only in this surgery, but living with a single ventricle in general. I am constantly amazed at the technology available to us today and feel oh so blessed to have had her born to us when she was. This, by the Grace of God, is the only reason I have my daughter here with me today. Her days will likely be decades fewer than will mine and will be frought with complications, but I am so grateful for every precious moment that I have with her. I have not a drop of anger, hostility, nor indignation within me towards her Creator for burdening her with this and have already seen her life impact others in a positive way. I am saddened by her condition, no doubt about it but try to treat every day as a gift with this beautiful child.

If you are interested in reading more:

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/heart/diagnose/hlhs.htm (The "Flash Movie" gives the best graphical representation I have seen)

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/heart-encyclopedia/anomalies/sv.htm#Fontan

David--May God continually provide you with exceeding grace as you live with this health issue of your daughter. You & I (and hopefully many others here) know that she is in God's hands and there is no better place to be. If she has half the character and wisdom that you displayed in your post--she will undoubtedly be a blessing to many lives and a great ambassador of God's Kingdom.

I pray for a successful surgery with results that simply amaze everyone. Please provide updates.

God Bless You my friend,

Steve

Steve,

Wonderful sentiments. I am always amazed at the Love, Grace, and Mercy that just seem to pour out and overflow our lives with an event like this. Of course, it isn't what we want, but it draws us ever closer to the heart of God, when we surrrender everything and everyone dear to us into His care. Our science is only an extension and small fraction of what He does to take care of us.

David, you and your family, the doctors and whole team of medical professionals will be in my prayers for this.

Bruce

David, i think all wish you and your family the best and will pray for the blessings of the Good Lord be upon your entire family as you journey thru this venture. It was at times like this that my inability to control the situation and fix it challenged my feelings as a father and supposed protector of my children, but i was never the one in control anyway; it is all up to Him and His plan . . . . but i often wish He would give us a little more insight into His "big picture" for all of us.

Sophia and her sisters look very sweet; you are already thrice blessed. My family will have yours in our prayers.

I feel so very blessed that our 2 girls were both born in good health. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and Sophia's medical team that the surgery may be a success and that she may continue to bless your family and friends for decades to come.