Important message about one of our own

Amy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dean,

Although we do not know each other I feel your pain. I am a 29 year survivor of malignant melonoma for which there was no real treatment for back then. My treatment was to have fragmented melonoma cells injected into my body to teach my antibodies to fight those cells. My best advice is to keep your stress level as low as possible as stress affects the ability for your antibodies to work properly. I am not a doctor but after doing this treatment for 3 years at M.D. Anderson hospital in Houston,Texas I am one of the few that survived in my study group but I never tried to take it to seriously. Chemo can be very hard on the body so do everything you can to keep your spirits up and feeling as good as you can !

I pray for a full recovery. Don

Fear not Dean, the fix is in. I've arranged to have The Twins appointed by their uncle (does anyone know why they have so many uncles, I'm suspicious), el popo something-or-other (sorry lost track of the various successors about the time of Pope Paul Twoski) as Special Nuncios Delectable to the Court of The DeanG. They should be arriving shortly. They weren't wearing much when I saw them leave so who knows where they've sequestered their credentials.

I'm sure they will be greeted with proper pomp and circumstance. I'm also dispatching special agents far and wide to acquire rare speed metal recordings for your entertainment. After proper de-lousing by bathing them in a acidic bath of the finest rap, they will be forwarded to your kingdom.

In any event, a good friend always closes his missives with "Be Well"

Be well my friend.

Well, I didn't really want to say anything, but Colter and Amy kind of twisted my arm a bit. I suppose if one (or several of you) were going through something like this, I would want to know. I don't like pity, and besides, why should one be pitied who chose to smoke for thirty years? You reap what you sow, and the wages of sin is death.

Thank you very much for the kind words, well wishes, and especially the prayers. Yes, please pray. Like I told Amy, the prayers work. Now, even if The Lord decides my time here is through and I don't pull out of this, the prayers will still help.

I went through what I called my "end life crisis" over the course of the first two weeks, and that is pretty much behind me now. Crossing the river Jordan has its own appeal, and I no longer fear it.

Though the information in Jordan's post was accurate at the time I wrote him, the PET Scan I submitted to later did reveal some uptake in my larynx and right lymph node (the left one had already been surgically removed). So, what was previously an unknown primary because they couldn't find it during the surgery, became cancer of the larynx and metastatic because of the movement into the lymph nodes -- this earns you a nice Stage III diagnosis.

I have one Oncologist who acts like I'm going to be around forever, and another who says I have a 50% chance of beating this. Of course, statistics deal with groups, not individuals, so I'm going with the good cop prognosis. :)

I'm half way through my chemo and have another 20 sessions of radiation. I've lost all taste and food goes down like gravel. My goal right now is to avoid a feeding tube. I've somehow managed to stay at 195 lbs since my surgery in January, where they yanked out the mass along with my left tonsil. I'm holding my own.

I don't really post anymore, but I'm out here everyday watching you loons do your thing.

Sorry about the emails. I was bad before, and I'm worse now. Hey, at least I have a good excuse now! :)

Dean what ever the outcome you know that you are doing what you are supposed to do. I lost a good froemd last summer after a four year fight. Watching him and how hedealt with it all made me feel proud and privlidged to know him. I was sitting with him for a couple of hours mostly holding his hand and talking just the day before he went home. I had a heart attack in December myself and am just starting to get things sort of working. I have had tfour incidents where I went out and and one in particular I know that I was leaving the building as it were. I can tell you my experience then was one of incridble peace and calm and a sencde of joy. I have no fears of going home when the time comes. Stay positive and know of the community out here who support you in your fight. While we only spoke on the phone a few times I very much appreciate your help and your interest. Prayers arwe comming your way. Very best regards to you and to your family. Thanks you to Amy for posting and giving the community a chance to respond. Moray James.

I wondered why one of our resident gurus had stopped posting. Obviously there's things that are much more important than hanging out with us bums on here!

Keep fighting the fight and I hope you're able to make it through your radiation/chemo without too much difficulty.

praying for you and your family dean. I don't think odds of 50-50 scare God at all. He created you and He can fix you--let's hope that is His plan. Sounds like you've got a good attitude and that always helps...and helps your loved ones too! Regards, Steve

Crossing the river Jordan has its own appeal, and I no longer fear it.

Absolutely.

Besides, any guy toting a pink pillow through a hotel lobby ain't scared of nothing.

God, please take care of Dean, Debbie and the kids.

Luv ya Dean.

I've lost all taste and food goes down like gravel.

This will make it much easier to keep your weight at the right place... [;)]

I have one Oncologist who acts like I'm going to be around forever, and another who says I have a 50% chance of beating this.

It's been my experience that these guys don't say those things if they're not true. This is a good prognosis, heck, you could walk out in front of a moving truck tomorrow. Believing in a good life ahead of you is probably the best healing advice that you can get, IMHO.

Take care, and do something that you love to do each day.

Chris