Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

40 degrees and rain for the second day, been busy making signs for the wife and cooking, smoking some smoked sausage for red beans last night and some pork loin and chicken for my (somewhat diet). I chickened out on doing some pork butts considering the time it takes, maby this weekend ?

• Like 4

Good afternoon my friends... I am on the road with the boss and company pres. Since the pipe organ topic seems a bit interesting to some, I figured I would share a few photos.... This was my 'office' yesterday... ;0)image.jpg1_89.jpg

• Like 3

.......and my office only moments ago, a lovely restored 'Swell' division with an addition built to the original specs by our shop...

Sure does shine in here ;0)) ...oh, and coffee was Starbuck's French Roast made right at my work bench this morning before hitting the road....image.jpg1_90.jpg

• Like 2

.......last one, here, a restored triangular shaped, wooden rank of pipes sounding very much like a flute....

The low pitches I mentioned come from those zinc pipes against the chamber wall behind these flutes..

Thanks for viewing, back to tuning now :0)image.jpg2_19.jpg

Edited by Tigerman
  • Like 2

Tigerman, I take it you are in the biz.  We need to talk...  :cool:

To start, these are either additions to or a totally different instrument than the image you posted earlier.  I asked who the builder was on it.  Of course, there were a lot of 19th builders but that one looks a lot like a Hook or Hook & Hastings.

Big reeds are AWESOME.

At Easter, my little parish will dedicate our 1941 Schantz.  Only 8 ranks, but voiced by the late Daniel Maye, one of the best and at 5.5 inches of water, quite authoritative for it's size.  So looking forward to it as I really believed when I joined that parish I'd never see pipes in it.  Somebody obviously had other plans...

Dave

• Like 3

This was my volunteer service up to a few years ago when they hired a real azzhole to run the place.

My work was the "Electrics" im in the pressure box, only been uptop in the Pit twice in 23 years.

They had a great standing program some years back when anyone could come and play, management changed, these days they do not allow anyone to touch anything, if no one is playing it does NOT need maint, like i said, real azzholes.

http://www.sierrachapteratos.org/estey.html#

• Like 4

Wow... drool indeed! Biggest Estey I've ever seen.  8' harp stop!!!   I've only heard a few recordings of these.  The are extraordinary sounding and very, very rare.  They have pipes, but the pipes are only resonators and the sound is made by a marimba sort of device.  The sound is quite harp-like and very beautiful. 

That thing is a treasure.  Put Sacramento on my stop list (as it were) next wander out through CA.

I have six 19th century Estey wood flutes hanging in my entry hall.

Dave

• Like 2

• Moderators

I guess it would be double, I do it mostly to add more flavor and to get some of the grease out of it, instead of going in the pot.Thought about it and took a couple of pork shoulders (butts) out the freezer to do this weekend, I haven't done any in a while being it takes about 12 hours.

Knowing nothing about pipe organs just looking at those pictures posted sure make it interesting, I probably need to go the Cathedral in N.O. and hear one, although it looks small for the size of the church ?

http://www.neworleanschurches.com/stlouiscath/stlouiscath.htm

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

, I haven't done any in a while being it takes about 12 hours.

I just did one on Sunday, it took 17 hours.  It was so cold out side I had to transfer it my electric roaster towards the end of the night.  It did finish until 5 am the next morning.  

• Like 5

I guess it would be double, I do it mostly to add more flavor and to get some of the grease out of it, instead of going in the pot.Thought about it and took a couple of pork shoulders (butts) out the freezer to do this weekend, I haven't done any in a while being it takes about 12 hours.

Knowing nothing about pipe organs just looking at those pictures posted sure make it interesting, I probably need to go the Cathedral in N.O. and hear one, although it looks small for the size of the church ?

http://www.neworleanschurches.com/stlouiscath/stlouiscath.htm

Bud, New Orleans is one of the finest places in the US for an organ crawl.  That link will provide you more pomp and pipes than you can handle.  Some of them date to the early 19th century.  St. Louis organ "small?"  118 ranks, 7621 pipes.  100 years in the making.  It's adequate. 

Dave

• Like 3

Morning guys,

1st cup down, getting the 2nd cup on deck.

The pipe organs look really cool, never herd any of the big ones like those. There is a pipe organ built into rocks at Luray Caverns in Luray Virginia. It's very cool.......it's called a stalacpipe organ, thinking of it I might take a trip there this year.

Well we missed the snow again. We getting about an inch or so, schools closed. I'm in nothern MD and we do get a good bit of snow sometimes, but not this year. Southern MD. Is getting more than us.....Joe you got your shovel??

Ok guys I'm rolling out, a good day to all.....

MKP

• Like 4

No shovels allowed for me anymore, I sweep or push or simply wait for the sun to do its work :D , It is not near as bad as the last one. I am getting tired of the sub freezing temps though adds to the pain and makes every task more difficult  :angry:

Morning Guys Boys are out of school here as well......................Breakfast is done now wheres my BROOM

• Like 5

Nothing remarkable happening here which is how I normally like it.  Upper 30's again this morning, stupid groundhog.  On the bright side, today is my Friday as I'm only working 4 days this week.  Coffee was good this morning.  My daughter decided not to have any so I got extra :emotion-44: .  Good way to start the day.

• Like 3

, I haven't done any in a while being it takes about 12 hours.

I just did one on Sunday, it took 17 hours.  It was so cold out side I had to transfer it my electric roaster towards the end of the night.  It did finish until 5 am the next morning.  

That's what's scared me off of smoking a pork butt .... 12 hours, 17 hours, etc. ... and I do a fair amount of smoking with ribs, chicken, etc. Have you ever done a quicker job of maybe 5 or 6 hours and then transferred to the oven? I guess the results would not be as good.

• Like 4