Lesson learned...."Audio" magazines....

jimjimbo

Got my first issues of Stereophile and The Absolute Sound last week, and, I won't be renewing my subscriptions.  IMHO, the only content worth reading were the reviews of recently released music, or re-releases.  The remainder of the issues seemed to be nothing more than showcases ("Come on down!!") for manufacturers of "high end" equipment.  $200,000 turntable (really), $90,000 pre-amp, $2,000 headphone amp....and on, and on, and on..........I honestly didn't know what to expect when I ordered the subscriptions, so now I know I guess....

• Like 1

We have a chemistry professor at school that is a total audio buff. He passed along those audiophile magazines to me all the time - I eventually just got into the habit of smiling and then leaving them behind. Was never much worth reading in them.

• Like 1

IMHO, the only content worth reading were the reviews of recently released music, or re-releases.

Kind of like flipping through Time Magazine looking for the "people in the news" section and the "obit's."  Not much else worth reading.

Edited by Boxx

Stereophile readers have at times questioned their frequent reviews of equipment which no normal person could possibly afford.  In response, other readers have asked if those complaining ever read Car and Driver which, of course, reviews some fairly costly machinery.  They then ask why they consider it acceptable to read reviews of cars which normal folks can't afford, but not audio equipment.  The Stereophile editors' response is that it gives audiophiles something to aspire to (guess it's like looking at those $20 million houses on Home and Garden which someone buys as a weekend place).  I like the magazine solely for Atkinson's technical measurements of the reviewed equipment.  And I must say that he doesn't gloss over what he measures.  If it's awful, he says so quite plainly (and it amazes me just how often what he measures is truly awful!).  When we had a Border's store in the area I used to go over there and read TAS for free.  It certainly wasn't worth paying for imo.

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic

All you need to do is sale one product and retire in Florida. I mean really silly. Even if had had the loot, I may not would buy one to impress myself.

That sell just one strategy is spilling over into other market/products by the looks of it. Would ask for a discount to save a few thousand but hey, wouldn't want it to get out.

Thanks for the reviews.

It was quite disappointing to say the least.  I certainly don't begrudge anyone who can afford to acquire many of the items I briefly looked at, but come on, there are many, many, many items at the other end of the spectrum that deserve a look, a listen, a review.  Perhaps it was just those two particular issues, and I hope so, but I'll be interested to see what shows up in my mailbox in the next couple of months....

• Like 1

It's happening all the time now

Journalists and reviewers just cut and paste a company press release and if they feel creative - just add some words of your own

Definition of a press release is an advertisement that reads and sounds like an everyday conversation

Nothing wrong with reading about the ultra fi. I can't afford it, but sometimes the benefits trickle down to lesser gear.

Do you think most people buy Car and Driver to read the Prius reviews or the exotic car reviews?

Shakey

You have a point here. :)

Bill

I've always read the reviews - especially the gushing, over-the-top ones - with a great suspicion that the item "reviewed" was going to remain in the reviewer's personal system gratis. That said, and assuming I'm right in some cases,  I guess I'm not surprised at the companies for taking advantage, but I just don't trust the integrity of some reviewers.