Great Demo Song for Imaging---Ride Across the River

willland

First, a thanks to Jeff Hoak for playing the "The Best of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler" CD's on his tube amp and LaScala rig during my first visit to his pad a few years ago. :D  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  That reintroduced me to them and I was stunned how I had ignored their music for so long. :(

Whether you are a fan of Dire Straits or Mark Knopfler(which I am), they have some fantastic demo songs to test imaging/soundstage.

The more I listen to my SACD and CD layer of Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" 20th Anniversary Edition, the more I have grown to appreciate great recordings by incredible musicians.  Many great recordings on this album but the one that keeps drawing me back when demo time is upon me, is "Ride Across the River".  You want spot on imaging and a truly three dimensional soundstage, this is the one.  I really want bore you with all the typical reviewer lingo so just go listen to it whether in disc form, download, or any of the streaming services, and then get back with me.

5190RZSS8PL.jpg

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 7

A known audiophile favorite.

I did a search a little while ago and can't believe how often this song is mentioned when imaging/soundstage is spoken about.

I know the album is often considered a "reference" recording but it seems to sound even better the more I listen to it on any of my rigs.

Bill

We need more topics like this. Maybe even a "Song of the Week" type of thread. I especially enjoy when someone throws a song out there that is under the radar and not mainstream. There are a ton of songs/bands that deserve some recognition dating back from the old days to even the best known songs. Gotta admit, never really listened to Ride Across the River but will check it out. 

• Like 2

We need more topics like this. Maybe even a "Song of the Week" type of thread. I especially enjoy when someone throws a song out there that is under the radar and not mainstream. There are a ton of songs/bands that deserve some recognition dating back from the old days to even the best known songs. Gotta admit, never really listened to Ride Across the River but will check it out. 

yeah.. we need a thread, where like.. you can see what people are playing at the moment and even do group synchronized listening.  :rolleyes:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147549-right-this-minute/

• Like 4

Recorded on digital and mixed through an analog desk... then re-digitzed for the CD release. I have one of the earlier LPs and it sounds terrific.

I wish all groups would have pages like this to tell you how they recorded their tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_in_Arms_%28Dire_Straits_album%29

Bruce

• Like 1

My favorite of the Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler collection and is my #1 test song is off of the album "Best of Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler: Private Investigations" Disc 2 - track 4 - The Long Road.

Willand, You and I played with this track on CD and SACD at your house one afternoon. Specifically listening for glass breaking towards the end of the song. As I recall the SACD has it and the CD does not.

Ride Across the River sounds great on vinyl, too.  I used my original LP a couple of months ago to demonstrate the concept of the sound stage to a couple of relatives who were not familiar with it.

They were suitably impressed. 

• Like 1

I believe that my local FM-HD station plays that song all the time. With all the nomenclature that you view on the screen during playback you would think they would refer to which type of media the song was taken from.

JJK

Many great recordings on this album but the one that keeps drawing me back when demo time is upon me, is "Ride Across the River".

I agree 100%, and it may be the best demo of sacd I ever heard. I bought it when released way back when, I've demoed that song/album just about every time I've sold any gear. At the minimum it's one of the best recordings in multi channel ever .