Things from the past that are gone and you dont know why because they were great?

Max2

I live next to an old air base Richards Gebaur and when I was little always had sonic booms. Loved that now no one gets to hear those....SAD. Rick

Funny you mention sonic booms. I was thinking of that earlier, was another reason I miss TheSpaceShuttle....When I lived in Clearwater, FL we were on the glide path for a landing.....I swear to you I though a tree hit the house. Sounded like someone had a battering ram and hit the side of the house with it...I didn't know it was coming, nor what it was for a few minutes :blink2: ....I've only heard it that one time, and it was the strongest single thunder punch I've ever been blessed to hear..... :D.....My Grandfather worked for Bell aircraft in the 40's and 50's. My Dad says spending a few years near Edwards Air Force base they would always hear sonic booms....Those damn hotrodders. B):emotion-21:

• Like 1

Anybody remember the sound of those Chrysler 8 cylinder engines as they started and before the air raid sirens sounded?  Whole thing, engine and all turned.  Even when you knew it was a test it was bone chilling.

How many of you believed the odds were very high your death would occur in WWIII?  Many of my generation simply assumed it.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Rabbit ears.

Still use them for FM.  Most cost effective.  However, I do with the foil we thought improved TV reception back in the day.

Don't put cotton on our screen door to keep out flies either.  Well...actually don't have a screen door.  There's another memory! 

Dave

We still use rabbit ears.  We put the money we would have spent on cable into rental & (and occasional purchase) of Blu-rays.

As to things past, I second the Dust Bug, and add the Discwasher, the Zero Stat, and tape head demagnetizers.  Supermarket tube testers.  Good quality classical, pop, jazz, soundtrack Lps for sale in the same supermarkets.  Mom & Pop grocery stores where you could smell the food, the balsam, the sloped hardwood floors, with one naked lightbulb hanging in the center of the store.  Used book stores.  Todd-AO in its original deeply curving screen format, as well as other super clear, big, 70mm processes.  Real Sneak Previews, held months before release, where you could fill out detailed opinion cards, and interact with the filmmakers and actors.

Edited by garyrc

The envy of every kid in the neighborhood!

Yes yes yes!

Had a 1970 Mini Trail 50. My parents made me sell it in 1973 because they were afraid I'd kill myself on it. Used the money to buy a "10-speed" bicycle.

Still a bicyclist to this day.

Also still a motorcyclist.

Also still miss the Mini Trail.

Having to drive out to the airport weekly in the early 1990's with Jerry Cans to keep my 12.5:1 engine compression happy. I do miss the unbelievable torque and ability to get street tires spinning through the 1st 3 gears.  :emotion-14:

What kind of beast was this???....... :ph34r:

I don't know what kind of beast it is, but with a compression of 12.5:1 I can't believe he can run standard crappy gas station "high test" gasoline through it without  blowing the engine like a hand grenade!

I'm guessing he uses AV100 aviation fuel, some kind of octane booster or a premium canned gasoline mixed 50/50 with pump gas.

Otherwise...boom!

Edited by wvu80