Washing Machines

colterphoto1

I have replaced every appliance, even the roof, in/on my house now. Except for the HVAC. That's next. Several months ago it was the washer and dryers turn. I was replacing a 15+ year old conventional Whirlpool pair. They worked fine but after some health problems replacing mechanicals became my new mission. I read up on W&D's and decided to go with the cheapest, most reliable, electronic free pair that actually did their job, clean and dry clothes.

I bought the below pictured pair just before Thanksgiving at Home Depot and paid $374 each. I even used their free 12 month financing. I enjoy using other peoples money for no cost because I can still remember when my wife and I were young and struggling and were taken advantage of. So now I take advantage of business's just because I can. And my money sits over at the CU earning a whopping .75%. 

The wife has been washing my clothes for 43 years. She still occasionally mentions how much she likes this laundry pair. So we're both happy. There is a learning curve, as usual. Owner reviews are basically useless as there is a country-wide outbreak of stupidity now-a-days. And its growing. The detergent thing is a non-issue. As little as I know about this type of thing I believe most all leading brands are HE compatible. Check it out. Dryer vents have to be cleaned regularly or they will smell mildewy because of the moisture and lint buildup. Besides being a fire hazard the dryer will dry better because of air flow.

I was at the depot today and noticed they had this pair priced at $423 each, IIRC.

Good luck Colter.

Keith

Edit> OOPS! Wrong picture. Corrected.

post-3284-0-13860000-1454026850_thumb.jp

post-3284-0-28940000-1454026902_thumb.jp

post-3284-0-33980000-1454089563_thumb.jp

Edited by T2K
  • Like 1

I have replaced every appliance, even the roof, in/on my house now. Except for the HVAC. That's next. Several months ago it was the washer and dryers turn. I was replacing a 15+ year old conventional Whirlpool pair. They worked fine but after some health problems replacing mechanicals became my new mission. I read up on W&D's and decided to go with the cheapest, most reliable, electronic free pair that actually did their job, clean and dry clothes.

I bought the below pictured pair just before Thanksgiving at Home Depot and paid $374 each. I even used their free 12 month financing. I enjoy using other peoples money for no cost because I can still remember when my wife and I were young and struggling and were taken advantage of. So now I take advantage of business's just because I can. And my money sits over at the CU earning a whopping .75%. 

The wife has been washing my clothes for 43 years. She still occasionally mentions how much she likes this laundry pair. So we're both happy. There is a learning curve, as usual. Owner reviews are basically useless as there is a country-wide outbreak of stupidity now-a-days. And its growing. The detergent thing is a non-issue. As little as I know about this type of thing I believe most all leading brands are HE compatible. Check it out. Dryer vents have to be cleaned regularly or they will smell mildewy because of the moisture and lint buildup. Besides being a fire hazard the dryer will dry better because of air flow.

I was at the depot today and noticed they had this pair priced at $423 each, IIRC.

Good luck Colter.

Keith

Is that your dish washer too?

Edited by jweber

Thoughts... based on experience for 40+ years...

Stainless; but do the research, but look at what the rental/ laundromats use. "Speed Queen", etc. Their requirements are industrial with the capability to withstand the great "unwashed" masses (now that was a pun!!!) abuse, etc.

I have 'shifted' to a commercial grade, stainless tub washer. It only washes clothes on three options  - short (sensitive), medium (who knows, I never use it...) and "normal". I only have "hot" and "cold", and "small", medium, or "large" as the options. No matter, as I have been instructed by SWMBO as to what is washed in what fashion...

2-3 three loads a day, usually "Small".

No problems, none whatsoever...

Might be a good idea to look at this method...

Regards to all

Marshall

Wife had a top loader (actually it was mine from my bachelor days)...  

Decided she wanted to go the water saver route, buy a new one so she spent something like $1,200/$1,500 on a front loader.

Long story short:  

1.  The front loader takes a LOT longer time to do a load than the top loader did.  

2.  The front loader needs to have the front door ajar so it can dry/air out (leaving the door open drove her nuts)

3.  Because of the door needing to be open, it conflicted with easily closing the closet doors.  You could get them closed but you had to wiggle things around a bit

4.  Since we're on a well (a pretty high volume flow at that) I've told her we don't "need" to be so water conscious....  we're pulling water out of the ground, using it and putting it right back into the ground.  We are in a sense, borrowing any water we use.  Besides, if the well has a refill rate of 100 gallons/minute and we are only using 20 gallons a minute then from a different perspective, we are "wasting" 80 gallons a minute that are blowing by.  (she didn't quite know how to respond to that one)

She has since decided the front loader must go.  We now have a top loader.  Loads get done much faster and she can close the closet doors while keeping the washer lid open.  She likes it.

I now have this $1,200 front loader in my garage, dormant....

If anyone would like it, we've had it listed locally for $300.

I think Marshall made a good point...those machines in the laundromats are probably able to take a beating. Although i've never asked how often they need to be repaired. Maybe venture into one and have a chat with the owner?  Some are really cool.  Back when i did my own laundry, i'd hit up the same laundromat.  The owner was always there on saturday morning. One day he gave me my own key to open the lint door of the dryers...he said they work better when it's free of lint.  I felt special; but, then wondered if he gave a key to all the regular customers, then they'd be cleaning the machines for him...free labor.

Edited by BigStewMan

Good luck Colter.

Keith

Is that you dish washer too?

No, that was one of the pictures thebes sent me of one of the twins. I'm glad I mistakenly posted that picture instead of some of the other pics that he sent.

Keith

• Like 1

I have owned 2 sets of Whirlpool top loaders in my life and the second set is still going strong and neither unit has broken to date.

The washers are extremely easy to fix if they break.  Either you have a leak and replace a tub or hose.........or a torn up transmission (which is 1 part).  All parts are widely available on the internet and a kid could fix these top loaders.  Our first set went through a couple of transmissions which I could change in about an hour.

The whirlpool driers have been excellent for us.  About every 15 years the guide wheel that guides the drum wears out and needs to be replaced.  Last one cost about $8.00.  Have to take the whole drier apart and remove the drum (where the clothes go)........but simple to do and easy as well.

I would buy another set of the whirlpool top loaders if I had to replace ours.

• Like 1

4. Since we're on a well (a pretty high volume flow at that) I've told her we don't "need" to be so water conscious.... we're pulling water out of the ground,

(snip!).

My in-laws pull water out of the ground too, here's a pic of their top loader. (be sure to click on the pic to really get the picture)

What could possibly be better than good old fashioned, mother earth, fresh every day, well water?  :)

post-58280-0-77300000-1454105877_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

You know, that appliance you buy every couple of decades, technology and government mandates change everything. I'm a simple guy, if I could buy one just like my old Whirlpool I'd do it again. But these days you get electronic controls ( or dials that merely control a computer, just as bad if things go wrong), no porcelain cabinet etc.  I'm hearing that some of the newer ones don't rinse the soap out as well or that the low profile agitators don't do as good of job at cleaning. Yeah, I know I research stuff too much. But my history is that I'll shop something to death, and buy one that fails anyway. 

Any tips? Looking at a fairly inexpensive Whirlpool Cabrio for about 5 c-notes.  Thanks guys, I trust your opinions. 

We purchased a pair of Whirlpool Duet (side loaders) in 2006. With two kids and me being an outdoorsy guy, they see a lot of action. Have never had to touch the washing machine, but I have had to repair the dryer twice. Once for replacing the insulation around the drum (my wifes bad, and not the machine), but the second time the controller card went bad, and I had to replace it after almost 10 years. I purchased a replacement controller card on ebay for $150.