Memorable concerts

DizRotus

13 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

First was YES -- Really great for me being a huge Rick Wakeman fan. Saw them again shortly before Chris Squire passed away.  Got to talk to him backstage after the show--VERY nice guy he was, and that Rickenbacker bass is one of the most beautiful instruments I’ve ever seen.  I told him that too, and he said “oh, it practically plays itself."

Seen many of those listed in this thread; including some many times ... Queen, YES, The Guess Who, REO, Heart

Memorable?  Stones in ’82 in Los Angeles when a young man named Prince was booed off stage.  Queen in ’80 when i accidentally snorted some Qualudes and don’t remember anything after that (I was initially told it was Coke.  Family joke on that one, family member next to me said “hey this guy is sharing his coke with us--take big spoons.”  A few minutes later he said, “let’s go blow our noses, that wasn’t coke--it was Qualudes.”  I told him it was too late, try to enjoy the ride).

Worst ... Blue Oyster Cult circa 1979 or 80. Molly Hatchet opened for them (and that was who i wanted to see). Flat tire on the freeway enroute to concert. Got there to hear three of their songs--BOC’s set was feedback like crazy, car accident in parking lot leaving (i wasn’t the driver), engine blew up on the drive home, leaving us stranded on the side of the freeway at 3:00 in the morning.  

Two regrets...circa 1978 passed on Supertramp and circa 1979 passed on Kansas.  Wish I would have went to both.

Rainbow opening for b.o.c. 9,28,1979

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

First was YES -- Really great for me being a huge Rick Wakeman fan. Saw them again shortly before Chris Squire passed away.  Got to talk to him backstage after the show--VERY nice guy he was, and that Rickenbacker bass is one of the most beautiful instruments I’ve ever seen.  I told him that too, and he said “oh, it practically plays itself."

Seen many of those listed in this thread; including some many times ... Queen, YES, The Guess Who, REO, Heart

Memorable?  Stones in ’82 in Los Angeles when a young man named Prince was booed off stage.  Queen in ’80 when i accidentally snorted some Qualudes and don’t remember anything after that (I was initially told it was Coke.  Family joke on that one, family member next to me said “hey this guy is sharing his coke with us--take big spoons.”  A few minutes later he said, “let’s go blow our noses, that wasn’t coke--it was Qualudes.”  I told him it was too late, try to enjoy the ride).

Worst ... Blue Oyster Cult circa 1979 or 80. Molly Hatchet opened for them (and that was who i wanted to see). Flat tire on the freeway enroute to concert. Got there to hear three of their songs--BOC’s set was feedback like crazy, car accident in parking lot leaving (i wasn’t the driver), engine blew up on the drive home, leaving us stranded on the side of the freeway at 3:00 in the morning.  

Two regrets...circa 1978 passed on Supertramp and circa 1979 passed on Kansas.  Wish I would have went to both.

Kansas......Saw a thing on TV about them a while back....Dust in the Wind ....was originally a finger exercise the lead guitarist came up with...Holy f..k

• Like 2

First, Black Sabbath and Mountain. Houston, Tx. Sam Houston Colloseum, around 1970. Went to see Sabbath, but Mountain blew Sabbath back to England. Not really back across the pond, but away! Most memorable Led Zeppelin, ZOSO tour around 1974, same venue. Trapeze, Music Hall, must have been around the same time. And Pink Floyd, Rice Stadium, 90's. This one had to be at the top of the experience of live music. But there has been so many more. Just way too many to list.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

First concert... The Cars, Candy-O tour in Austin, Texas 1980

Most memorable... Seeing Pink Floyd 3 times over the years.

Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour

Nov1987, Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas

Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour

Apr 28,1988, Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas

The Division Bell tour

April 28, 1994, Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas

Van Halen's free outdoor show

Dec 4,1991 downtown Dallas, Texas

FB_IMG_1474370550557.jpg

FB_IMG_1474370542044.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, teaman said:

I have seen almost everyone I ever wanted to see. I would say my most memorable show was the "Monsters of Rock".

Kingdom Come

Dokken

Metallica

Scorpions

Van Halen

The concert was amazing, even though the Pontiac Silverdome was a horrible acoustic venue. To think we saw five well known bands in one venue for $35 is crazy. My wife was thinking of going to a Bon Jovi concert last year with our daughter and the tickets were nearly $200 a piece!

Tim 

I saw this same concert in 1988 at Giants stadium in the Meadowlands.   That was just when Metallica was about to take over the world and they played all their new songs from And justice for all.   They blew everyone else away.   Crazy mosh pits all over the floor area.   Great time.

• Like 1

Just now, jvs1670 said:

I saw this same concert in 1988 at Giants statium in the Meadowlands.   That was just when Metallica was about to take over the world and they played all their new songs from And justice for all.   They blew everyone else away.   Crazy mosh pits all over the floor area.   Great time.

Yep, half the fun was watching everyone hopping the barriers to get on to main floor between bands. Metallica stole the show.

E.L.O.

September 29 1978 Portland, Maine, USA Cumberland County Civic Center Europe, USA and Canada B show Kingfish As this was the last show on this tour, the road crew all came on stage during Roll Over Beethoven, many wearing masks and strange clothing.

1st concert - would have been one of Boston (1st album tour), Foreigner (1st album), or Styx - maybe Grand Illusion tour.  that time frame was when I was old enough to drive myself and got the parental OK to go.  had a great time.

best show?  IDK - several that I do remember that are in the running.  and one that I don't remember much at all - Pink Floyd, I think Division Bell.  wow... what I remember was fantastic.  best one that I remember well - saw Elton John just last year I think or '14.  Fabulous show!!!

• Moderators

Talking about worse, the Rolling Stones in the Superdome, the sound sucked, probably because of the building shape and size.

It's the reason on my first post I listed two of the best venues I have every seen/heard back many years ago. The venue can make a huge difference in sound and experience. imo

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dtel said:

Talking about worse, the Rolling Stones in the Superdome, the sound sucked, probably because of the building shape and size.

It's the reason on my first post I listed two of the best venues I have every seen/heard back many years ago. The venue can make a huge difference in sound and experience. imo

It's simple.  Domes suck.  Dome teams suck.  Fans who put up with domes are lame.

• Like 2