What I Got Today!

Brac

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I was enamored with one of the PA7's little brothers. A 40 watter that I could turn up to 4:00 on the dial without distortion or clipping, Stasis is what Nakamichi called them!

If I recall correctly, I was driving some Dali Ikon speakers at the time with that amp, followed by Dynaudio floorstanders.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shiva said:

signal chain for your new DAC?

@Shiva Thanks :) Temporary set up as PC to DAC to Yamaha CR-620 to Cornwalls (my "rear" setup). Played a couple of saved CD files as well as a FLAC file downloaded from HDtracks.com. Haha; do not hear any difference ... guess I need some wine first :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Looking finally at making some larger freestanding tweeters. Found an Amish sawmill that slabs and dries wood. Cherry, Walnut crotch wood, white oak spalted wood and curly maple. Kind of excited about this as a source of wood has been hard to find. They had a piece of cedar also that is the wildest thing I have seen but buried in the pile. The walnut is 8' long.

wAALNUT BOTH SLABS.jpg

WALNUT2.jpg

wHITE OAK 3.jpg

CURLY MAPLE 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

@Shiva Thanks :) Temporary set up as PC to DAC to Yamaha CR-620 to Cornwalls (my "rear" setup). Played a couple of saved CD files as well as a FLAC file downloaded from HDtracks.com. Haha; do not hear any difference ... guess I need some wine first :) 

Make sure you are using ASIO, ASIO4ALL or WASAPI as your output into teh DAC from the computer to bypass windows internal mixer. 

• Thanks 1

Some beautiful slabs right there @Dave A

5 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Make sure you are using ASIO, ASIO4ALL or WASAPI as your output into teh DAC from the computer to bypass windows internal mixer. 

Whaaaaa???  @Emile you got all that?  I was losted from the ASIO...  :)  

Keep an eye on him @Westcoastdrums  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Some beautiful slabs right there @Dave A

Whaaaaa???  @Emile you got all that?  I was losted from the ASIO...  :)  

Keep an eye on him @Westcoastdrums  😂

Haha.  I use foobar2000 as my player.   When you go into settings, the "output" can be selected.  Indeed nice Slabs of wood Dave. I'm sure that will make an amazing final product as always. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Does anyone here really believe that the human ear can hear the difference between a 192 / 384 or 768 KHz converter.😇

Pick them blind folded likely not but I can tell you and anyone else that after a few hours with Higher res info I certainly am looking to go to red book. I find a LOT of the higher res stuff gets brittle and harsh

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You use whaaa @Westcoastdrums???  Now I'm REALLY losted!  hahaha

I got a my old JBL128S Sub fired up a bit ago.  Auction find for $150 coupled w/a new to me Sunfire plate amp?  Also had some great help and guidance from a friend in here as to what to do and how to do it.  I won't mention his name cause one of me floating around in here is enough!  :)

Finally hangin some stuff in here but that's on a temporary hold cause these LS coupled w/that old sub is killin me.  Glad my neighbors love me is all I can say.  hahaha

Damn it's freakin incredible!  :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Emile said:

51AkhNzc0KL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

OK; finally got a DAC :)  Lavaudio DS600. Don't hear much of a difference though :( 

Dacs are like any other piece of gear, Research, and testing are required. I have gone through at least a dozen DACs in the journey. When you get the right one you will know it. DACs absolutely have differences in sound. The trick is getting one that meets your preferences, as well as exceling at. Detail, Resolution, Clarity, Decay etc... I have seen you sell off amps etc... DACs are no different, If you want first class digital it will take a bit to get there. Have fun

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2