Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

Meanwhile, here In British Columbia, we have not had a COVID-19-related death for the last 6 days.  This is out of a population of around 5 million people, so our popular chief doctor, Dr. Bonnie Henry, and Health Minister Adrian Dix, seem to be doing a good job.

The public is cooperative, too, with no grumbling about wearing masks.  At Costco last week, everyone entering the store was requested to wear a mask, and if they didn’t have one, masks were available at the entrance.  Luckily, I had some a friend had got at Canadian Tire and given to me.  Inside Costco, about 90-95% of the shoppers were wearing masks, and in a situation like that, you feel under-dressed if you’re not wearing one.

Now London Drugs (who are an authorized Klipsch dealer, with a small listening room) have three colours of the more stylish cloth masks, so I picked up a couple.  On the city sidewalks, probably half of the pedestrians are wearing masks, so the general public seems to understand the need to wear them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

was watching the olympics once and these people were dancing around swinging ribbons in the air. it was a competition. I was embarrassed for the world. 

Don't forget the ball and the hoop. It's what sets us apart from dancing bears.

Now synchro swimming, there's a sport. Bowling, I so miss the Pro Bowlers tour on TV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

On the city sidewalks, probably half of the pedestrians are wearing masks, so the general public seems to understand the need to wear them.

keep the good habits -----

4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Same thing for the Health Director of Orange County, CA ... read that she ordered the wearing of masks and was getting death threats -- so she quit. 

I don't blame her for taking the  threats seriously -

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

The environment filled this requirement quite well except there were those like the USA which determined it was a fraud based on the idea that China and India, the largest sources of pollution by far, and many other smaller nations like Iran with perhaps the worst single source pollution burden in the world did not have to clean up. With modern communications being what it is and the world seeing who really does pollute the most the USA dropped out. 

Based on CO2 emmisions, the US is number 2 and India 3rd. Iran is further down the list. Even Canada is in the top 10.

The US is half of China, Iran half of the US (approx).

11 hours ago, Dave A said:

I find people on the front lines who report things as a valid source. At this point in time I trust nothing anymore since I am not there to see it and verify it.

One of the funniest things I've read this week. 

Costco has had the mask directive for several weeks in my area, I think company wide actually. I’d say it’s 50/50 on masks at local grocery, Walmart etc. Took the grandson to Culver’s for his vanilla ice cream last weekend, ok I had a double cheese while there, indoor eating and the place smelled like an operating room which I appreciated. It was obvious they were taking all precautions and then some to insure a sterile environment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

Based on CO2 emmisions, the US is number 2 and India 3rd. Iran is further down the list. Even Canada is in the top 10.

The US is half of China, Iran half of the US (approx).

You mean the stuff humans exhale? That plants need to flourish?  How about overall air quality and not single out just one specific thing.

https://waqi.info/

26 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Yeah I have to admit that did not come out the way I meant it too. Now where is the I am embarrassed smiley face?

I knew what you meant, but it was fun poking you in the eye. 🙂

Really, I'm right there with you. I use the CDC site, watch the seven counties around me, and take care of me and my own. Other than than, I've got work to do and life goes on -- at least for a while.

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

You mean the stuff humans exhale? That plants need to flourish?  How about overall air quality and not single out just one specific thing.

https://waqi.info/

CO2 is a by-product of industrial waste, fuel burning and other things. We could add in NO2, although those dropped a lot over China while they were locked down. Same with a lot of Europe. Probably here as well, but we are as bad as Europe and China have been.

I was going to add, India was 1/2 on what China was for the CO2 and we were 1/4 (approx.)

There are a lot of forms of pollution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

CO2 is a by-product of industrial waste, fuel burning and other things. We could add in NO2, although those dropped a lot over China while they were locked down. Same with a lot of Europe. Probably here as well, but we are as bad as Europe and China have been.

I was going to add, India was 1/2 on what China was for the CO2 and we were 1/4 (approx.)

There are a lot of forms of pollution.

When we exhale, we produce carbon dioxide as a byproduct. Without this vital exchange, our cells would quickly die and leave the body to suffocate. Since the lungs process air, they are the only internal organs that are constantly exposed to the external environment.

We need to hold our breath more.

Misinformation......   here’s a sad article about a tragic tale. The sadness of the article is it’s title that proclaims that a ‘perfectly healthy’ 16 y/o dies in 24 from covid19 - another tragic victim of this pandemic. One look at the young man exposes the real truth. He was morbidly obese - huge. Somehow morbidly obese now translates into ‘perfectly healthy’. Instead of the article correctly identifying a key factor known to add morbidity to this disease so that others should learn from his mistake they forgive the mistake as something ‘normal’. The victim did not need to accept responsibility and neither did his parents. Being overweight, fat, tubby is NOT healthy and if you get covid19 you will see why - big time.

https://people.com/health/16-year-old-dies-suddenly-from-covid-19/

4 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Misinformation......   here’s a sad article about a tragic tale. The sadness of the article is it’s title that proclaims that a ‘perfectly healthy’ 16 y/o dies in 24 from covid19 - another tragic victim of this pandemic. One look at the young man exposes the real truth. He was morbidly obese - huge. Somehow morbidly obese now translates into ‘perfectly healthy’. Instead of the article correctly identifying a key factor known to add morbidity to this disease so that others should learn from his mistake they forgive the mistake as something ‘normal’. The victim did not need to accept responsibility and neither did his parents. Being overweight, fat, tubby is NOT healthy and if you get covid19 you will see why - big time.

Pretty sad, for him and the story itself.  Seeing the second picture, they are blaming all the stuff like diabetes on COVID (If I read the article right) but being 16 and that size, if you don't have it, you will soon.  Likely most underlying conditions would not have been known if he was let to get to that size.  Likely didn't go to the doctor or get a physical to help resolve the problems he had.  Bad and sad all the way around.  Yes you have to take a little responsibility since the current culture is "Everything is done to me" vs. "I can take control".

55 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Pretty sad, for him and the story itself.  Seeing the second picture, they are blaming all the stuff like diabetes on COVID (If I read the article right) but being 16 and that size, if you don't have it, you will soon.  Likely most underlying conditions would not have been known if he was let to get to that size.  Likely didn't go to the doctor or get a physical to help resolve the problems he had.  Bad and sad all the way around.  Yes you have to take a little responsibility since the current culture is "Everything is done to me" vs. "I can take control".

People need to accept the consequences for their own choices. But the press has NO excuses. The media needs to end ‘sugar coating’ its stories to fit narratives that simply do not serve the truth. I see the same when it comes to stories about healthcare workers who’ve died from covid19. The horrific truth of the story is that most (if not all) of them contracted the disease on the job. But the same foundation applies. Look at their photos and nearly all of them are morbidly obese........ and being in the profession they really had no excuses for their physical stature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Yes a mobidly obese child with type 1 diabetes and 1500 sugar level is hardly healthy or normal. It is insane the misrepresentation in this article. What I find even more appalling is this.

"Johnny and Andre’s two sisters were subsequently swabbed, and they, too, were positive, though they had only mild fevers and fatigue. Dawn, who was at the hospital with Andre, decided not to get tested because, according to Riley’s policy, if she tested positive she would not be allowed back into the hospital until she tested negative twice."

So momma went to a hospital and exposed others because her child was ill and caused how many others to potentially come down with this. Reminds me of various governors and their cavalier treatment of old folks homes.

• dtel locked this topic