Where to move and why?

No state income tax in Tennessee 10.gif

Of course, where I live (Greenback, near Knoxville) it makes Mayberry seem like New York City 3.gif

Our "downtown" has 1 drugstore that's not a working drugstore but now a restauraunt (with a drugstore signage), post office, bank, stopsign, haircut place and another building or two. It's about 1 block long and is 1/2 parking area

6.gif

I'm not sure if they have shoes here yet?

(ok, for fellow Tenneseeians, that was just a joke)

----------------

On 6/3/2005 9:10:51 PM nicholtl wrote:

We live in the best state in the country!

----------------

Yep,its a great state,beautiful,big, if they could just get rid of some of the crackpots I'd move there myself.

Well you could move to Australia. Tornados are rare. Land is fairly cheap where I am. At the moment I'm looking at land myself. Around 100 acres or so. The cost for this land is around $300,000 Australian. The only problem at the moment is the lack of water. We've been in drought for the last couple of years.

I have lived all over the country. Currenly live in MD. If I could live anywhere it would be Colorado. Check out Durango, Colorado Springs and west of Denver areas. BTW my last move was from a 1/4 acre subdivision lot to 10+ Acres. You got the right idea looking for 5 or more acres.

Colorado is great. I've spent some time around the Denver area and it's wide, clean, brand spanking new. It's liberal enough to feel free, and conservative enough to feel secure.

If I am ever going to move away from the ocean, it would be to Colorado.

We bought land in Wisconsin in the early '70s. $250 an acre. Sold is for a tad more in '88 when we moved to Tennessee.

There are some beautiful areas in Wisconsin, and I would not mind moving back there except for the -30 degrees F in the winter. 9.gif

And I do mean beautiful! Over around Lacrosse is some great land. What we owned was in the northern part of the state.

Still tornados though.

Parts of North Georgia are nice. Lower part of Appalachians. Fairly temperate climate and lower cost of living than California. Houses go from $60k up. You can get a nice house for $130K, as long as it isn't in Atlanta.

Marvel

Living in the NorthEast, I have always found Vermont and New Hampshire to have a lot over New York State.

New York State has been going down. Taxes, number of Elected Officials, Their Staff Size, Their Pay - outnumbers California, though we have a smaller Population. Right now a new Stadium is being built Downstate near NYC. It's costing those of us in Western and true Upstate 300 Million in tax money.

But there's not enough money for proper infra-structure repair, Aid to Schools, Policing. Even trying to make the case for the money to be used, NYC Schools need repairs - not just band-aid fixes. NYC Police, Fire, Infra-Structure could use more aid.

But that's the case agaist New York. Vermont and New Hampshire are very scenic, good tourism, especially in the Fall as the leaves turn = money coming in.

One can also say Pennsylvania - in certain areas.

As you investigate areas to potentially move, check the financial health of some of the local Hospitals. That can say a good deal about the economy of the area.

Each section of the Country has unique pros and cons.

Four years ago we were nailed with about 40 + inches of snow. They brought in Payloaders to deal with snow removal. Quite eerie the night they did my Street - just a wall of snow.

Wish you the best in finding what you want. Hope you enjoy many great years, plus you find the perfect job. Always remember that each day you wake up home.

A good number lose that as they live in a house, looking to move to a Home.

North Idaho...Coeur d'Alene was recently chosen as one of the best areas to relo. Property values dirt cheap compared to CA. Yet they are seeing double digit increases for the 1st time ever. Home bulding is crazy. Weather is grand. Technically high desert it sees about as much precipitation as So. Cal. but some in the form of snow. Every major store and restaurant (Costco, etc...) Forests, eagles, lakes, rivers, tap water you could bottle and sell in CA or NY.

----------------

On 6/4/2005 11:04:11 AM oscarsear wrote:

North Idaho...Coeur d'Alene was recently chosen as one of the best areas to relo. Property values dirt cheap compared to CA. Yet they are seeing double digit increases for the 1st time ever. Home bulding is crazy. Weather is grand. Technically high desert it sees about as much precipitation as So. Cal. but some in the form of snow. Every major store and restaurant (Costco, etc...) Forests, eagles, lakes, rivers, tap water you could bottle and sell in CA or NY.

----------------

It's pretty wild how that town has boomed in the last 15, 20 years.

North Idaho is where some retired police come to from California. Sandpoint is a fav.

Yet, there is still some areas of that panhandle that is still like the wild west. Ya don't blunder in the wrong area......

I'd look at the ourskirts of Sedona, AZ, Winchester, TN +/- 50 miles NE, GA, say Gainesville or Toccoa, or the hill country in West Texas. No or low income tax, beautiful scenery, twisty roads if you want some and low chance of tornados.

We currently live in central ohio, in a town my family has lived in for 187 yrs since comming from Wales. It is getting to crowded for us, so in two years when our daughter graduates from high school we are going to go "camping" for a yr or two to finally decide where we want to live. Prior to children we lived in California at Lake Tahoe for 2 yrs 76-78, then went to Bozeman Mt. for several yrs, we also lived in New Mexico for almost a year. All are nice but too crowded where we were. We love Durango and have not crossed it off our list yet, but it is growing too. I bought a 1941 chevy 1-1/2 ton flat bed three yrs ago, the new motor and trans is in, all new glass and paint etc. etc. Now it's time to start thinking about that camper we are going to build on the back. I havn't ruled out the forte's yet but i might have to drop down in size to Heresy's for space savings reasons. We really like Nebraska, pretty flat but you can still get away from the rat race there, and the people are as nice as you could ever hope to meet. It's a big country, you might have to try some different places and see what suits you're needs best. After the kids are out of college we just might be looking for something near edwinr, it sounds nice there and a little change is almost always a good thing.9.gif Good Luck on the search.

Repeat after me...There is no place like home, there is no place like home, and home is where you make it.

----------------

On 6/4/2005 12:28:23 AM edwinr wrote:

Well you could move to Australia. Tornados are rare. Land is fairly cheap where I am. At the moment I'm looking at land myself. Around 100 acres or so. The cost for this land is around $300,000 Australian. The only problem at the moment is the lack of water. We've been in drought for the last couple of years.
----------------

LOL, it is SOOO ******* hard to be able to live there. To get a 4 year work/live permit, it took many months, lawyers, testing, etc. I had to proove I could READ as part of the deal! My dad already had a job lined up there, so not like we said 'we want to move here!'.

Basically, they don't want people just crowding up the place, and for that, I have absolutly no problem with it!