Gas Prices, etc. ....

oldbuckster

Well....it looks like drill baby drill has worked out pretty nicely.I know I surely dig it. Gas here is about $2 a gallon and dropping. You know those terrorist gotta be hurtin' for cash.

Quite the opposite,  OPEC is intentionally releasing oil to lower the price to a point where shale oil extraction is not feasiable.   They want to crush the industry.   All business depends on financing and if the model does not work, even temporarily, the financing will not be there. 

This is actually bad news for the domestic oil industry. 

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/money/business/2014/12/06/opecs-bad-bet-new-us-oil-business/19933619/

• Like 1

Yep cheap gas is really bad. We really had em by the *** when we are paying twice as much.Not to mention hurting our solar and wind be adventures, lol.We got plenty, they got plenty,oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.I've heard that theory, not buying. Domestic energy,drilling is great to me. Its all about how you see it,2 is less than 4 ,even if its 4 later,its 2 now. I should say I'm not invested in oil in ANY way.

I also gotta say I really like the added bonus of cutting of cash to terror even for a year.

Edited by Fish

Yep cheap gas is really bad. We really had em by the *** when we are paying twice as much.Not to mention hurting our solar and wind be adventures, lol.We got plenty, they got plenty,oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.I've heard that theory, not buying. Domestic energy,drilling is great to me. Its all about how you see it,2 is less than 4 ,even if its 4 later,its 2 now. I should say I'm not invested in oil in ANY way.

I also gotta say I really like the added bonus of cutting of cash to terror even for a year.

FWIW, OPEC is controlling the flow, and they (Mr. Ali al-Naimi) have stated repeatedly they have no intention of slowing down production. They can afford to produce the black gold at a lower cost than the US. So as long as they let it flow more freely, they make it less profitable (actually non-profitable) for our guys to poke holes. OPEC wants us to stop drilling, they want to keep us dependent upon them, and the best way they can accomplish that goal is to make our domestic oil drilling unprofitable. They're forcing oil company's to stop drilling in America.

Based on what I've read, the price for North American crude (as of 1/5/15) just fell below $50, and it's expected to drop below $30/barrel within 6 months time....  before it starts to rebound.

The S&P/TSX energy index dropped 5.5%, and West Tx intermediate went another 5% lower.... that's the lowest price since April 2009.

So if you're enjoying the relatively lower price for gasoline, thank OPEC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30585538

I also read that the US is considering shyting on our low-cost-gasoline party and increasing the tax on a gallon of gas while the getting is good.

Enjoy!

Edited by Gilbert

Cheap gas = buying from OPEC, you get that ,right?  When we pay more, the market is open to American producers (including shale), when gas is cheap, it is foreign oil from the terrorists that we hate because we cannopt produce it that cheaply.  Guess who gets richer from cheap gas?  You have a 50/50 shot...

Maybe we are all wrong.  I'm sure nobody near the Canadian Border (i.e. North Dakota) is worried. 

BTW - sorry to come off as such an ***, I am really bummed out by the news in the Lounge.  I don't mean to take it out on you. 

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

Hey...we're all forum Buds...I hope. I just read the post in the lounge after typing this, really sad for a nice guy. He was one of best members here, past or present and will certainly be missed by us all I'm sure. I should have paid more attention to your mention of the lounge before posting.

As to opec, what do they want us to do? STOP domestic energy, why? Cause it puts the hurt on them, I'm all for that.Thank opec...ha...Thank Americans for showing those kats we got resoirces too if ya get crazy.Taxes...hey they're always a gang wanting/waiting to tax anytime they can. It is a NO lose domestic production of every kind of energy,as the market sees fit, just my view mind ya.

Edited by Fish

economic war

That is exactly what it is.

Cheap gas = buying from OPEC, you get that ,right?  When we pay more, the market is open to American producers (including shale), when gas is cheap, it is foreign oil from the terrorists that we hate because we cannopt produce it that cheaply.  Guess who gets richer from cheap gas?  You have a 50/50 shot...

Maybe we are all wrong.  I'm sure nobody near the Canadian Border (i.e. North Dakota) is worried. 

BTW - sorry to come off as such an ***, I am really bummed out by the news in the Lounge.  I don't mean to take it out on you. 

I hear yea man, I pretty bummed out about that too. I really liked him, and I'm gonna miss his posting in here. Fk'ing sucks.

Edited by Gilbert

Finite amount of oil in this world.  I would rather use up oil from another part of the world so that when it's gone we can tap what is left in our region.  Suppose they were to give a war and we did not have the fuel to participate.  Now imagine that it's a war on terror and is in our region.  Normally I prefer made in America, or produced in America.  But not at the expense of our security.  So OPEC is forcing us to preserve our natural resources.  Is this really bad?  Price for fuel goes down.  Resources are not squandered.  Average Joe Blow citizen does not have to pay as much for fuel.  And there is reserves for future use.  

Down side;  Oil companies don't make as much money.

OPEC's oil will not last forever.  Lets use as much of it as we can while saving what we have for a latter day.

Like others here I'll miss Boxx. 

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Enjoy the low oil prices. But understand it could be symptomatic of some underlying economic problems - not to mention creating a whole new set. Last time oil crashed like this and was this low was....oh yeah, just before the 2008 collapse. Also, we should consider that these low prices are bankrupting the shale/fracking industry and that means alot of people hitting the unemployment roles in the coming months.  That's one side of it, the other side is those bankrupt companies are carrying a lot of debt. Debt the banks will not be able to collect on and no doubt our wonderful banking industry created who knows how many Credit Default Swaps on...hundreds of billions?  

The end of this year could be a doozy.

Edited by Steven1963

Part of the reason gas has stayed low like this,and will most likely stay this way for awhile is the big gas companies have shorted their own stock in the stock market (commodities).

They have bet the prices would go down due to all the new drilling and OPEC putting out what they are, and because of this, they are making money on their short selling of stock (commodities). So they are still getting the big income. Once they see the market has bottomed out with shorting stock, they will continue to hedge things by purchasing their stock back at lower levels and watch it climb back up, and as it does that, they will then be inline with a more "global" economy which is what everyone is gearing up for. Then the prices will start to skyrocket again. 

Could be 6 months, could be a year, could be 5 years. Estimates I've seen are anywhere from 2 to 5 years.

Mark this day on your calendar … Thebes was right! (sorry Marty, still paying you back for those Beatles comments).   Thebes wrote in the thread regarding our departed friend Boxx, advising his son that time would heal the wounds (or a similar sentiment).  This thread here was started by the late Oldbuckster--he left us a few years ago. I miss the guy; but, smiled seeing that cranky old avatar again. 

Just drove 1000 miles up and down California for $77 in gas.  Smiling because I nearly spent $414 on a plane ticket and at last minute decided to drive.