• Recent Topic Activity

• Recent Posts

• I got used to 11 right away.  Very minor changes in my opinion that were very intuitive to figure out.
    • Windows 10 was designed to be a service and just update it. I would guess the pc manufacturers wanted a 'new' version number to help sell PCs.   The organization where I am employed has over 300 computers, desktops, laptops and servers. Approx 2/3 are linux based, the rest are various Windows iterations. One Apple product, that the graphics/crafts/photograger uses. He's in his upper 80's, and will be retiring soon. Then the Apple will go away. It's been a long time since they were better for graphics and layout, etc. Even Adobe has said their products are actually better on Windows.   Windows 11 is ok, and management wise has some nice things. Linux distros have matured a LOT in the last ten years. A lot of music and art companies are supporting or beginning to support linux. Even MS allows a linux subsystem to be installed on Windows.  
    • I first saw huff reviewing KEF Ls50 w speakers and he acted as if they were the greatest speakers in the world. I later bought a pair and they were good but not great. Very little mid bass and almost no lower register. He got rid of his Ls50 Ws and for a long time his favorite lifetime speakers were his fleetwood Devills. Now the fleetwoods lack bass compared to the Qualio and many other brands of speakers he has bought. His review of the Buchardt A10s was good and accurate as was his review of the Buchardt sub10(which btw is a wonderful combo) but he raves about almost every new to him piece of audio gear. Then he doesn’t. Lol   i am enjoying the new speakers a lot despite the Huff hype.
    • A friend of mine makes a healthy mix (yes you heard me right) with just a few candy corns mixed in with peanuts, almonds, walnut pieces and sunflower kernals....   I call it birdseed, pretty good and just enough candy corn to add a little sweetener.  It makes you feel loose and easy... or that could have been the scotch.  
    • Thank you guys....  new PC ordered, should be shipping in a couple weeks. Only OS available for me was Windows 11, with the option to configure to emulate 10, but decided to evolve and go with 11, that little voice in my head must have been my inner Darwin that kicked-in. Don't like having to learn a new OS, supposedly not that much different and their still trying to emulate Apple OS. I survive switching from apple phone to android, so this too shall pass.   Still researching external DAC's, thanks for the recommendation Bruce will investigate the offerings from Focusrite. The chief purpose if for listening, have a pair of decorator cornwalls that have been sitting idle for too long.
    • A question for Jubilee owners who use different amplifiers for the bass cabinet and K402 horn. What method do you use to match the amplifiers' volumes to each other? And what is the ratio? Are the amplifiers set equally, or do you follow another rule of thumb, and why?
    • https://www.discogs.com/release/966891-Rush-Caress-Of-Steel  
    • Weekend bump. Looking to buy one... or sell it if I can't find a single one out there.   Klipsch no longer has them for sale as refurbished units, but Crutchfield has them new for $425 with free shipping.   https://www.crutchfield.com/S-G4rheNhLO7q/p_714RP8000E/Klipsch-Reference-Premiere-RP-8000F-Ebony.html    
    • There were not many measures, but over the years I had gained knowledge about what I had done wrong with my 1977 LaScala, other xovers, other caps, etc. So I didn't have to go down all the wrong paths again for years. This thread is a small summary of various threads that describe individual tasks. At the beginning of June, I bought these 1973 Khorns in beautiful Iseo, Italy, from an extremely nice and friendly family at a very fair price. Sadly, the father had passed away two years ago, and these Khorns were his pride and joy. I had to promise the son who had advertised the speakers that I was not a soulless reseller but would use the Khorns for my own enjoyment. He had offered them at a reasonable price, but he wanted them to end up in good hands. There were three serious candidates among many others. I had to write a kind of application to buy them. That wasn't difficult for me, because I meant it honestly and every word was true. So I won the bid and picked up the Khorns in Italy. At first I had replaced the original K33V, yes they really existed for a short period of time according to Jim Hunter. One had a loose voice coil and I borrowed the K33E from my LaScala.   The sound of the old K33E was good so far. I put the fact that I didn't have much low bass down to a missing side wall in the living room.   In the end, I decided on brand new original Klipsch K33E from the German importer. They are surprisingly affordable at around €180 each plus shipping. I've only had them installed for three days. OMG! What a transformation of the sound. Super powerful dry spatial deep bass and a wonderful coupling to the K400 above. The 1977 K33E were very softly suspended, the new K33E much tighter. Even though ferrite magnets retain their strength, the old K33E was just limp and very tired in direct comparison. It is such a dramatic increase in quality that if someone has such old LaScalas or Khorns with original woofers, they might consider an exchange. Because there was never any abuse of the old K33E, they look visually perfect. It's the age.   I treated the cabinets several times with Howard lemon oil, especially from the back and in the woofer chamber. This way, some musty old wood smell has permanently disappeared. I renewed all the soldering points, cut the wiring in the cable shoes and soldered them fresh.   As an interim solution, I installed my K55V from the LaScala and a fresh rubber seal because these K55V got new membranes three years ago. I used a set of new JEM caps. The old caps were still dry, but the sound was fuzzy and much quieter. Compared to other polyester caps, I have to say that the JEMs actually sound smoother and very nice. Other polyester caps like the ones I use in the LaScala sound a bit drier in the negative sense. Yes, I tried the LaScala Xover on the 1973 Khorns to have a proper comparison.     I still have to resolder the cables of the K77 tweeters, but for that I need a longer screwdriver that goes through the crossbeam to be able to remove them. Unfortunately, the photos are very blurry. The forum used to allow a higher resolution, or does each one have a contingent and mine is full? All in all, I now have a wonderful sound experience. By resoldering the cables and the points on the coils of the xovers, the sound has become more open and less tiring on the ear, that is not an illusion. They are wonderful speakers for any kind of music. I enjoyed my Underground Jubilees for 16 years. The switch to the vintage Khorn was partly because I didn't want to sell the UJs under time pressure, because we'll soon be moving into a slightly smaller apartment as empty nesters. Secondly, it has been my dream for 50 years to own a real Khorn. I always had reservations because I was afraid that it might boom and I had no alternative to setting it up than in the corners. To my great surprise, the Khorn is one of the loudspeakers I know that has the least boom, if any. I would make the same decision again in a heartbeat. Listening to music with these Khorn speakers brings joy and a grin to my 65-year-old face.    
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.4m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Johnsie