Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

9 hours ago, akdave said:

Random question:  Other than the NPRC in St Louis - does anyone have any suggestions for digging up WWII info?  I was given my late grandfathers helmet and dress coat this summer and I would like to try to piece together as best I can where his battalion (if I'm lucky!) was and when.  Does anyone have any experience researching these kinds of things?  The huge fire in St Louis in '73 did no favors in this regard, but the internet is a marvelous thing.

Happy Friday to the fellow working types! 

Cup o'Joe #2 is on board... cheers!  :emotion-44:

Hey Dave -- hope all is well up in Alaska.

Do you have a DD-214 or any documents that show what unit(s) he was assigned to?  If you do, the service that he was in can help you. Not sure about the 40s; but, i retired in 2003 and the DD-214 listed all the units that I was assigned to. Many award citations list the unit assigned to as well. If you’re striking out with any of those, i would ask the service that he was in for a list of the units he was assigned to, they may also be able to tell you the names of any campaigns or operations associated with his unit; or like you said, you would have some good information to start your internet research. 

Good Luck. My Uncle was at Normandy. I didn’t find this out until after he died. He would tell me war stories while i was growing up and i remember him talking about how the bullets were flying the minute the landing craft doors opened. It was later that i saw his canteen with NORMANDY etched into it. Can’t help but think of him every time i watch Saving Private Ryan and think, “Uncle Frank was there for real.”  When i young, his stories were so cool, i hoped that there would be a war when i turned 18.  At age 16, his stories took a turn and i remember thinking, “I hope i never have to go to war.” 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You're welcome.  It was my first exposure to Deep Purple.  6th grade.  Columbia Record Club.  6 for a penny, and buy 3 more.  It came in my first 6.  Turned me into a Deep Purple fan.

That's funny about Columbia. Got some good 8 tracks. Yes man, what are you going to do. Start young

enjoy life and a laugh or a hoot. No, that is quite listenable , to be sure. Since I first heard DP I was in.

I

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Hey Dave -- hope all is well up in Alaska.

Do you have a DD-214 or any documents that show what unit(s) he was assigned to?  If you do, the service that he was in can help you. Not sure about the 40s; but, i retired in 2003 and the DD-214 listed all the units that I was assigned to. Many award citations list the unit assigned to as well. If you’re striking out with any of those, i would ask the service that he was in for a list of the units he was assigned to, they may also be able to tell you the names of any campaigns or operations associated with his unit; or like you said, you would have some good information to start your internet research. 

Good Luck. My Uncle was at Normandy. I didn’t find this out until after he died. He would tell me war stories while i was growing up and i remember him talking about how the bullets were flying the minute the landing craft doors opened. It was later that i saw his canteen with NORMANDY etched into it. Can’t help but think of him every time i watch Saving Private Ryan and think, “Uncle Frank was there for real.”  When i young, his stories were so cool, i hoped that there would be a war when i turned 18.  At age 16, his stories took a turn and i remember thinking, “I hope i never have to go to war.” 

LF's father was wounded at Normandy......second tier landing.  Must have been terrifying.

• Like 3

Morning gang....

and a happy Saturday/long weekend to all...

Just swinging in and catching up on some posts. 

Not a whole lot going on today just some rain...the remnants Harvey will be blowing through for the next day or so. Man, the rain fall from that storm was unreal:o

Will be going into the shop for a few hours today.... gonna be working on my Honda CRX. Got the block back from the machine shop last week. Just doing a stock build on this old gem.

Good vibes too all..... later...

MKP :-)

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You're welcome.  It was my first exposure to Deep Purple.  6th grade.  Columbia Record Club.  6 for a penny, and buy 3 more.  It came in my first 6.  Turned me into a Deep Purple fan.

How long ago was it when they played the live version of "smoke on the water" on AM radio? 1973? 

I had to have this song when I was a kid...5th, 6th grade. I ended up buying Machine Head by mistake which had the studio version of the song. No big deal...and I did get made in Japan.

The intro to "Lazy" is my favorite. That poor Hammond is begging for mercy.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

We've been counting our blessings as houses very close to us and down the street from my son have all had water in them.  Hopefully my son can actually drive back to his house in about a week.  For right now, it's boat in, boat out.

CECAA850, Glad to hear you fared well at your place, but sad to hear about your son's place. Do I foresee some father/son remodeling projects on the horizon?

• Like 1