Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

@Tigerman - nice of you to join us for the am festivities.  nice score there on that percolator.  I like the blue, but I avoid the network cables when I can.  (have had enough of that from my last job)

@DizRotus - re Keurig.  I like the convenience of it.  I'm not to the level of coffee connoisseur (yes, I did use the googler to get the spelling)  a lot of you guys are.  I do like the variety of brands, blends, flavors etc that are available in the neat, EXPENSIVE little packaging.  do I have one at home?  no.  could have, but declined.  rather brew for volume.  I drink a lot of coffee, I'm sure too much.  so we use a drip maker to brew up 10-12 cups at a time.

in summary - I like it, but not enough to pony up for the purchase or for the "daily feeding"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you JS..............HA!  I just bought the cable yesterday at a local hardware store just to have on hand.........we have wifi and repeaters throughout the house, but now and then, it is good to check the real speeds I am paying for, and cable is the only way I can get that done....

Ok on the coffee pods............no such thing around here, it's either drip or purc. we don't venture to far from tradtion :emotion-44:

• Like 2

That's the way it seems all coffee was made a long time ago.

The ones like that on the stove or the tall ones that were off white ceramic with a ring of those blue flowers around it.

If I'd get hoity-toity and talk about "body" like a wine taster percolating makes the best.

I could call it like a teenage guy around here would the "viscosity" is higher.

Either way the smell of good coffee permeates the whole house when made like this and you know it @Tigerman!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Keurig, yay or nay?

Last weekend at a friend’s cottage was my first exposure to Keurig.  I was underwhelmed.  Since I woke up earlier than the others, the ease of single serving pods was nice.  The coffee tasted good, but the cost per pod and the slowness to brew coffee for a group were dealbreakers.

NAY!

The dealbreaker for me is the trash it generates.  Even the inventor of the machine regrets creating it when he thinks of the mountains of plastic trash the collective users make.

• Like 3

It is possible to get refillable cups that you pack with your own coffee.  This cuts way back on waste and cost.  If there are several members of the household who wake up at different times the system can provide them all with a fresh brewed cup.  Forget about it if everyone needs their coffee at the same time.  I still say nay.  A Bunn with appropriate accessories is the way to go.  The problem with percolators is that they cycle already brewed coffee back over the grounds.  It can make for a bitter cup, and is inefficient.  That doesn't matter so much if people dilute the product with adulterants such as dairy and sweeteners.  I say nay.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry you feel that way about purc. OT.............we are enjoying ours now and BITTER is not  apparent in this brew..............;)  I think there are too many variables to come to that conclusion...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

I just bought the cable yesterday at a local hardware store just to have on hand.........we have wifi and repeaters throughout the house, but now and then, it is good to check the real speeds I am paying for, and cable is the only way I can get that done....

sure.  makes perfect sense.  sometimes that's the only way to go.  I have numerous things connected by cable at home - AVR, NAS, VOIP phone, DVR/cable box... oh I get it.  and I think you're spot on about the speedtest.  you WILL get max throughput to the speedtest servers using cable.  wifi is so easy but I have yet to see wifi that runs as fast as your cable back to your switch/router.  good job with that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It is possible to get refillable cups that you pack with your own coffee.  This cuts way back on waste and cost.  If there are several members of the household who wake up at different times the system can provide them all with a fresh brewed cup.  Forget about it if everyone needs their coffee at the same time.  I still say nay.  A Bunn with appropriate accessories is the way to go.  The problem with percolators is that they cycle already brewed coffee back over the grounds.  It can make for a bitter cup, and is inefficient.  That doesn't matter so much if people dilute the product with adulterants such as dairy and sweeteners.  I say nay.

https://www.keurig.com/Accessories/My-K-Cup®-Universal-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/p/universal-my-k-cup

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Keurig, yay or nay?

Well, I guess I’ll be the lone dissenter and give our Keurig a YAY! We are far from coffee sophisticates, we use our Technivorm Moccamaster to brew the first pot of the day and the coffee we’ve been using for years is Seattle’s Best Portside Blend #3. If we don’t brew a second pot, we’ll finish off our coffee day with our Keurig. We use the reusable Keurig K-Cup with Seattle’s Best, but we also have a selection of our four favorite K-Cups. We’ve found that the Keurig is very handy to have around. :emotion-44:

• Like 4

• Moderators
4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It is possible to get refillable cups that you pack with your own coffee.  This cuts way back on waste and cost.

The Stainless ones are nice, Keurig is great...............compared to no coffee.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

The Stainless ones are nice, Keurig is great...............compared to no coffee.

many things are better than no coffee.  except I guess only bad coffee & a sharp stick in the eye - about the only things I can think of worse than no coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/23/2018 at 9:54 AM, dtel said:

It's powerful, you can pass a dead skunk on the road at 75mph with the windows up and still smell it. 

I passed by/over a fresh one... 5 miles later at the BP checkpoint, it still stunk in the car. I can see folks wrecking their car to avoid the B/W kitty. If you hit the thing, the car is ruined just the same...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I passed by/over a fresh one... 5 miles later at the BP checkpoint, it still stunk in the car. I can see folks wrecking their car to avoid the B/W kitty. If you hit the thing, the car is ruined just the same...

Reminds me of a hitchhiker I seen once, she looked like she was out of a zombie movie. :o

7 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I can almost feel my back hurting from loading LaScalas.... Getting close. Warned sis I was going to test them before we load them,,,

I wouldn't take the chance on hurting yourself, call your sister and tell her I will pick them up. Notice I didn't say "for you" :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My buddy got see the BlackHawk helicopter "Up close and personal". His property borders on state land and is a bit of a corridor.. Anyway, looked like it was right on top of his place... Then it went lower. They were hovering just above the deck for a half hour and then set down. This was about 2 blocks from here. Town is small.

I played 18 holes of whip sickle golf while I watched the show.  The back 40 was about knee deep and soft. Good time to do it. Now I can be lazy the rest of the day HaHaHa.  The kid will be here around 4...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

My buddy got see the BlackHawk helicopter "Up close and personal". His property borders on state land and is a bit of a corridor.. Anyway, looked like it was right on top of his place... Then it went lower. They were hovering just above the deck for a half hour and then set down. This was about 2 blocks from here. Town is small.

Prolly stopped for coffee!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1