Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

I think one with you in the middle and Ann & Nancy on either side of you kissing you on the cheeks would be one you may hold dear to your Heart forever.   :wub:  :blush2:

my heart yes…their husband’s hearts….that’s another story.

They knew the job was dangerous when they took it.

well, you never know.  it could happen…i’m quite charming.

• Like 6

Evening all....

Just got caught up on all the posts.....lots going on....

Well me and the wife took a drive today to pick up a fire proof cabinet for the shop. We had a guy from out insurance company come out to the shop a few weeks ago. He gave us list of all kinds of shitt we have do. It's a bunch of crapp.

Also my parts washer needed to be serviced, it's the type of parts washer that recycles the solvent. It's a great machine. So with the cost of the cabinet and the service call for the parts washer, not to much profit at the shop this week....oh well....cost of doing buisness..

Anyway wishing all the best.....good night all....

MKP :-)

• Like 6

Hey Wardsweb…just curious…what is final cost of building one yourself, and how long of a process is it?  Looks like you do good work.

That is a real open ended question. It depends on what materials are used. You can make one out of MDF and parts from an old turntable (dual, technics, rek-o-kut, etc) for not much money. The more exotic the wood and plinth material, the higher the cost. Also what tools you own or have access to. If you have to pay for CAD drawings or CNC machine time, the cost goes up more. So far on this one, the wood was $70 and the paper stone was a piece leftover from a counter top. $200 for the Fairchild 412 turntable used for parts. Still need another tonearm and the spike feet.

• Like 6

o.k....I Really dig these!  I like wood and you don't see much in turntables.  You likely set them up with top notch components & technical perfection and balance, right?  Probably out of my reach, but I am interested if you are taking orders!  Thanks for sharing your craft!  Beautiful!

• Like 7

Luther those tables are all works of art....just beautiful :emotion-21:

I just joined a sub group on FB called "What's On Your Turntable Right Now", about 4,000 members.  Sort of like our RTM thread. Those guys would be drooling if you joined and posted those pics.

If you ever start pairing down the collection let me know.

• Like 7

Good morning everyone  :emotion-44: :emotion-44:

Luther, they look GREAT, the first one looks SO massive !    Is that a Rega type arm with Exact cart in the last one ?  Reminds me of my rp6 arm...

Ok Chuck, I will get some photos from yesterday's work...    I actually got side tracked and worked on a vintage Sony Superscope 8 track which needed a new belt, I had put it off for a number of years because the old belt had broken down into a black soupy tar like mess, if you even so touched it, it was like sticking your finger into a black inkwell !!  :ohmy:

Any way, I took a series of photos of that work which I can post.    It was my mom's from the 70ies, but still looks like new.... :happy:   actually got it playing, but the track solenoid is needed lubrication, as I can't change the tracks at this time...

More later, coffee coming up here soon - breakfast etc....

..........Gary

• Like 7

Thanks guys. It is the perfect combination hobby of my love of audio and woodworking. By the way, the Roksan is a table I built for me. The others are tables I have done for some of my local friends.

Today I'm going over to a friend's house and move his Pass Labs amp for him. It is too heavy for him to lift. He has severe back issues from his days in the military. We'll grab some Thai for lunch and listen to music after things get rearranged.

Ya'll have a great day!

• Like 7

Jackson going back NOW to the ER to check his white blood count. He has an infection & low fever, but is already on antibiotics.

IF his White Cells are Too High, he'll have to stay for an antibiotic drip...

Continued prayers for Jackson and your family. 

• Like 8

Third cup of Community.  Decided it's the biggest bargain on the shelf.  Got this pount at Albertson's on sale for 4.99.  I've paid three times that and got no more pleasure.  Highly recommended for price/performance.

Haven't yet gotten my thoughts together about the boogie woogie performance last night.  Texarkana isn't just a hidden gem in American music past, it's rich, rich, rich in the musical presence.  John Tennison did things with a Roland piano that bend the mind.  Programming for pentatonic and what he calls "quantonal" that yields slight changes in pitch and other characteristics combined with a complete ownership of all the ghosts of the great boogie woogie artists of the past yielded a performance of past, present, and future from the hands of a complete madman whose entire body was thrown into the performance.  You hadda be there...

The drummer, George Buckner, melded with John's totally manic freeform boogies in a way that made it sound as if they'd been playing together for decades. 

If that weren't enough (and, in fact, I was already in sensory overload) they were joined for the last two sets by a c. 20 year old local boy I am going to make a very weak attempt to describe as a Hendrix with classical overtones.  Try to process that!  He did one 12 tone blues improvisation with John and George that reached every fibre and nerve one has.  John was so blown away he turned James loose on the last tune and videoed it. 

The middle aged man who suggested to John he let the kid play said he was "better than Hendrix," which I mentally went "yea, sure...probably good BUT???"

Gents, he may be better.  Completely mild mannered, self effacing, and I'm told that as opposed Hendrix and others of that genre prone only to teetotaling an occassional glass of wine or couple of beers.

I was so moved I stood up at the end and told the audience they could have been in LA, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, London, or Berline last night and heard nothing as good. 

Yep, that good...

Still reeling.

Dave

• Like 12

Morning Gang

80s i believe today and the week?

Swapmeet Corndog today then Huevos Rancheros.

Have lists of goodies to procure, everything from casters for the MCMs to a reading light for the Kid.

Fresh Beans Starbucks Breakfast Blend, perfect.

MCM Refurb task has started, covered here: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158959-mcm-1900-4way-controldialing-in/page-3

• Like 11

Hey gang. Will have to catch up on 'likes' (esp the georgeous turntables) later. Much to attend to, incuding my daughter in law who had a miscarraige last night. It was an early one but pretty upsetting to her. Will check back later or maybe on Monday. Take care and have a good day all.

• Like 8