Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Luther....if I had your skills I would be trying to out do my last turntable creation! 

duder....good for you meeting your daughter for coffee :emotion-21:

Well guys what how do you like the new thread title?  Thanks Carl for the edit info.  Should the "A" be lower case?   How about "Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails" ?

Went to LF's house last night.  Read the manual and started her generator.  The battery was dead so I had to use the pull cord.  Ran pretty smooth.

We then unboxed 800 CD's she had stored from her move and put them on shelves.  My thought is that CDs produced before 24 bit recording sounds pretty bad.  I usually try to buy after the year 2000 or remastered disc.  Any thoughts on that?  Do you have quality CD recordings from the early to mid 90's?

Then went in and had one too many martinis and cooked scallops, salmon, chicken, and asparagus on the green egg. 

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 8

Funny you mentioned the issue with early CD's sounding bad.

My daughter has been getting interested in some of my older CD's (Have around 1200). I have multiple copies of some CD's from different time periods.

I took an original copy of Social Distortions Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell  that I bought when it was released in early 1992 and played a few tracks and then played the same tracks from a "Remastered" disc that I bought a few years ago.

I was pretty amazed at how much better the remastered disc sounded.

• Like 9

Mornin' guys. Missed ya yesterday. Beautiful weather and low humidity out this way. Weather guys must be trying to redeem themselves. ;)

Interesting new title to the thread along with the comments. Will let others decide. Just want to note that after many years sober, I'd stay out of the loop if the emphasis shifted to 'cocktails'. :huh:

Have a great day and cheers!

• Like 8

Luther....if I had your skills I would be trying to out do my last turntable creation! 

duder....good for you meeting your daughter for coffee :emotion-21:

Well guys what how do you like the new thread title?  Thanks Carl for the edit info.  Should the "A" be lower case?   How about "Cables, Coffee, and Cocktails" ?

Went to LF's house last night.  Read the manual and started her generator.  The battery was dead so I had to use the pull cord.  Ran pretty smooth.

We then unboxed 800 CD's she had stored from her move and put them on shelves.  My thought is that CDs produced before 24 bit recording sounds pretty bad.  I usually try to buy after the year 2000 or remastered disc.  Any thoughts on that?  Do you have quality CD recordings from the early to mid 90's?

Then went in and had one too many martinis and cooked scallops, salmon, chicken, and asparagus on the green egg. 

Its the source not the disc, I have several redbook pre 2000's that can sound wonderful if played on the right setup (your DAC can make a HUGE difference on SQ)

Digital done right requires the same commitment or more you put into a vinyl rig to make it sound pleasing (especially true for any of us old geezers raised on vinyl

• Like 7

• Moderators
Just want to note that after many years sober, I'd stay out of the loop if the emphasis shifted to 'cocktails'.

No shift really, just the same as always as far as I know, you should have no problem. I would completely understand if a cocktail is not good for you it's best to stay clear of them, no problems.

• Like 6

I doubt there will be anymore discussion of booze than before.  If you see it going that way please say so.  We sure don't want to lose one of our charter members :)

Thanks for the reply Joe.  LF has a lot of early disc I noticed when unpacking.  Hope most are playable.  I asked why so many disc and it turns out her late husband played them on changers in his dental practice.  She said he hated Muzak.

• Like 7

Morning Gang

New thread name should draw in a few Lookie-Loo's.

106 projected as yesterday, need to make an ice cream stock run later.

Re-adjusting my sleep time as to the hot part of the day.

No more MCM work till temps drop to 80s at least.

Belgain waffles/eggs coming up, second coffee/duggans.

post-57941-0-38500000-1441901687.gif

• Like 9

Evening Gang

Now i can reduce my thread bouncing, Coffee in the morning Libation in the evening.

Scotch, cigars and tunes,(my own thread) and 3Min to Miller time, will no longer post there.

Should make my Personal Thread Troll w/Badge happy, (He reads everything i post within 3 Min).

107 on the news just above this monitor, waiting for ....yep, 104+ for Friday.

Think i'll get another Beer.

Biscuits and gravy is what the wife is cookin up, Her dental dictates meals.

post-57941-0-50820000-1441933200.gif

• Like 6

Good evening my friends.    Just went through a few pages of posts to catch up.   SO much going on...!

Chuck, too funny :D ...you get buzzed, then start a food festival :lol:   Actually, that goes on here, as I always have a glass or two of VINO while prepping and cooking dinner.   Have to be REAL careful of the Santoku and Chef's knives, as I have done some silly things with them when not thinking,  but enjoying the drinking too much instead !

dTel, EXCELLENT upgrade all around!,  room really makes since with the lowered entertainment setup, almost makes me want to see an 80" up there !!    Again, great work on making it all fit...

Mark, I just know that somewhere in  your home, the temps are cool and comfy ;)

We are getting much needed rain after a LONG dry spell!

NEWS, my neighbor that LOVES my jazz and new age music bellowing from my deck system  just put her home up for sale TODAY!, open house signs with arrows pointing the way in our gated neighborhood to her home.   It has been a great two or so years having her as a next door neighbor.  She has bought a home down in FL. which is on the ocean front !!

On the other hand, I was thinking how COOL it would be if an audio enthusiast move in!  So far, I believe I am the only one in this area..... :rolleyes:

Ok on the THERMOSTAT issues, I heard way back when, that if you run a too cool thermostat, the oil can begin to collect in the journals and galleys and begin to plug stuff up!  I think the mechanics can correct me on that one, but it is something I never forgot.

I am fine with the forum name change Coffee, Cables, Cocktails and WINE .....another idea ^_^

On the CD issue........I bought my first player in 1986 and the first TWO CDs I bought the same day were a Telarc (my favorite classical label) sampler and believe it or not, a REALISTIC CD compilation of movie themes...!

The CD player was so early, it did not even come with a REMOTE!  Bought at Radio Shack, made by Hitachi and considered a 'second generation' unit...   

The thing about the CD mastering process.........yeah, they have 20bit and all that, thing is, the player is STILL limited to 16/44.1  you just can't get away from that.   I think the early transfers (AAD - ADD) are probably about as good as it gets.

This is why I have been ordering DVD-A and BluRay audio with a sprinkle of SACD as well.....they are formats that exceed the CD..

End of my commentary for the evening. :)   

Hoping that a new BluRay audio disc will be in for tomorrow night's listening session over on RTM...

Enjoy the evening my friends...

.......Gary

• Like 5

Good evening my friends.    Just went through a few pages of posts to catch up.   SO much going on...!

Chuck, too funny :D ...you get buzzed, then start a food festival :lol:   Actually, that goes on here, as I always have a glass or two of VINO while prepping and cooking dinner.   Have to be REAL careful of the Santoku and Chef's knives, as I have done some silly things with them when not thinking,  but enjoying the drinking too much instead !

dTel, EXCELLENT upgrade all around!,  room really makes since with the lowered entertainment setup, almost makes me want to see an 80" up there !!    Again, great work on making it all fit...

Mark, I just know that somewhere in  your home, the temps are cool and comfy ;)

We are getting much needed rain after a LONG dry spell!

NEWS, my neighbor that LOVES my jazz and new age music bellowing from my deck system  just put her home up for sale TODAY!, open house signs with arrows pointing the way in our gated neighborhood to her home.   It has been a great two or so years having her as a next door neighbor.  She has bought a home down in FL. which is on the ocean front !!

On the other hand, I was thinking how COOL it would be if an audio enthusiast move in!  So far, I believe I am the only one in this area..... :rolleyes:

Ok on the THERMOSTAT issues, I heard way back when, that if you run a too cool thermostat, the oil can begin to collect in the journals and galleys and begin to plug stuff up!  I think the mechanics can correct me on that one, but it is something I never forgot.

I am fine with the forum name change Coffee, Cables, Cocktails and WINE .....another idea ^_^

On the CD issue........I bought my first player in 1986 and the first TWO CDs I bought the same day were a Telarc (my favorite classical label) sampler and believe it or not, a REALISTIC CD compilation of movie themes...!

The CD player was so early, it did not even come with a REMOTE!  Bought at Radio Shack, made by Hitachi and considered a 'second generation' unit...   

The thing about the CD mastering process.........yeah, they have 20bit and all that, thing is, the player is STILL limited to 16/44.1  you just can't get away from that.   I think the early transfers (AAD - ADD) are probably about as good as it gets.

This is why I have been ordering DVD-A and BluRay audio with a sprinkle of SACD as well.....they are formats that exceed the CD..

End of my commentary for the evening. :)   

Hoping that a new BluRay audio disc will be in for tomorrow night's listening session over on RTM...

Enjoy the evening my friends...

.......Gary

"Mark, I just know that somewhere in  your home, the temps are cool and comfy" Correct

House is 73, Cave 85w/fan, good with that for a few more Min.

Been Napping all day, dinner, movie and will Nap again (In the House).

• Like 8