Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Happy Halloween weekend guys. Busy day for this old guy. Making chili ... or at least shopping the inredients ... today and going to an annual costume dance tonight. We have our grandaughter and parents tomorrow. We have a cool spell with some rain so at least I won't be tempted to work outside today. Snow in the mountains.

• Like 8

Morning all......been away a while working on the new place

Been more work than it appeared.....but about what I expected.....having to replumb a good portion of the original steel pipes....too much corrosion.

have all the ceilings, cabinets, walls and baseboards painted.....working on floors this weekend.

Should be able to start moving stuff from house to house this coming week.

Kids are having friends over tonight after the football game for a bonfire (i.e. burning of all the limbs and crap that we have trimmed back and  gotten out of the house)

Florida/Georgia Weekend.....welcome to the Worlds Largest Cocktail Party.......we will not be going downtown this year...too much to do!

Hope everyone has a great weekend....

• Like 11

The cheapest thing to do would be to keep your existing coffee maker buy a cheap burr grinder and find a local roaster to get fresh beans. Big step up in quality without a huge investment.

This is good advice.  You will get a much better cup for about the same amount of $$.  You can find excellent roasted whole bean at Whole Foods, too  You can buy a decent Mr. Coffee burr grinder at Wal-Mart for about $45.  It does a good job, but it isn't ideal, because the motor spins too fast. 

The next step is to buy an air popper and roast your own beans.  I use a West Bend Poppery II and buy green beans from Sweet Maria's or Coffee Bean Corral.  Green beans are about 1/2 the cost of roasted beans, you choose the roast you want and it takes 8 or 9 minutes per batch that could make 2 pots if you like your coffee mild. 

WOW!  I couldn't see this thread had 600+ pages.  I shouldn't have bothered. 

Edited by John Albright
  • Like 7

WOW!  I couldn't see this thread had 600+ pages.  I shouldn't have bothered.

Your fine, we usually don't talk just coffee anyway and I like the green beans idea.

cold soaked ground green bean tastes better than I feared they would but they (the beans) are hard as rocks to grind. I have an old electric coffee grinder with a small flat steel propeller type blade, a proper burr grinder is what I need. and we all know burnt stuff always turns out to be cancer forming. Go green go mean and have all the caffeine your bean was grown with.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Damn....missed my ten year forum anniversary on the 23rd. 

Well……Happy Belated 10 Year Anniversary :D

If that's the case, you're averaging under a post a day.  Get busy!

Well Congratulations anyway on 3657 days.

Carl you have to be a little careful telling someone of Tarheels age to get busy. :P  Like he needs any advice  :rolleyes:  

Edited by dtel
  • Like 8

Good Friday evening my friends... Enjoyed reading through today's postings...

I am currently relaxing after a very busy and strenuous work week. So, wine is poured and I am here in Music Hall listening to some magnetic recordings for the first time through the new Cambridge Audio preamp.... Aaron Copland is conducting here in this 1975 Columbia Masterworks reel to reel recording.......sounding very good!

Enjoy your evening ......

.........Garyimage_94.jpegimage_95.jpeg

• Like 11