Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Girlfriend bought a Nespresso machine a couple of years ago, but she always gets a decaf Latte at Starbucks to start her day, and so I have been picking up a cafe americano for myself, or Clover Press.

Asked her about the machine, said it works fine, so I ordered some different coffees to go in it, and I like it better than Starbucks.

This thread is way too long to go back and look, but is anyone using Nespresso?

• Like 5

• Moderators

GF advised after meeting with nutritionist yesterday that we will be eating fish at least 3 times a week, which is ok, I love fish, but I am going to have to find a bunch or recipes to cook it up. Too cold to grill right now, so either baked, broiled, or pan fried in olive oil Mediterranean diet style.

Anyone have a favorite fish cookbook or healthy fish recipe? EG, that doesn't start with "Turn fryer to 350, fill fryer with peanut oil . . . ."

• Like 7

• Moderators

I never got in the habit of drinking coffee. Am I really missing anything?

There is a study that up to 4 cups a day is very heart healthy.

Then again, I thing there is another study that says it is bad.

I would say if you wake up in a good mood every morning to skip it and focus on cocktails.

• Like 5

Wait DWI, did you just say "too cold to grill right now"? I thought Texans were made of stouter stuff than that. There is no such thing as too cold to grill. On Sunday I shoveled a path to the grill from the kitchen slider & will be cranking it up this weekend, glass of bourbon in hand.

As to your fish, I highly recommend Chef Paul Prudhomme's "Seafood Magic." An all around seafood rub that is not too salty. Just sprinkle some over your fish, a little olive oil & lemon & you are good to go. For more delicate fish like Fluke, Flounder & Salmon I will put a piece of aluminum foil under it with some olive oil to prevent sticking. His "Salmon Magic" is equally as good.

A nice seared tuna recipe is my adaption of Alton Browne's tuna recipe but for a gas grill. Marinate tuna steaks in a combo of Yoshida's Marinade & teriyaki, (or whatever Asian style marinade you have on hand) with some sesame oil if you have it. Wasabi powder is nice as well. I have even thrown a teaspoon of chili paste into the marinade to give it some kick. After allowing to marinade for at least one hour, the longer the better, cover tuna with sesame seeds and place on the hottest grill you can get (500-550) for 1 minute per side, no longer, cover & allow to rest for 3 minutes and you will have perfect seared rare tuna. Slice and serve. If you have a "Sear station", I would reduce the cooking time accordingly.

The original recipe call for using a charcoal grill with a charcoal chimney while placing an oiled small grill on top. This obviously puts the tuna right on top of the flames and says to leave for 30 seconds only while using a loin piece of tuna and turning it 3 times as the piece is triangular.

If you like seared tuna, this is right up your alley.

• Like 4

• Moderators

That was one drink Jeff ;)

Come on now, 3 distilled into one maybe. :cool:

One glass, one drink.  That's how we roll around these parts :blink:

I had to take a little break after Carls Martini, but it was very good. To be fair it was not the first or last and the break was kind of short.  :)

• Like 3

• Moderators
GF advised after meeting with nutritionist yesterday that we will be eating fish at least 3 times a week, which is ok

I love fish also, depending on the fish sometimes I just saute in a little olive oil, this way you only get the taste of the fish. Sometimes just add a little salt and lemon juice, or just a little pepper. 

I like this because i really like the fish taste and don't want to cover it up. But on occasion I will blacken fish if I feel like something spicy, outdoors only, or it will run you outdoors to find oxygen.  :blink:

• Like 4

I really like looking at and cooking recipes found on tasteologie.notcot.org

For example, entering "salmon" in the search bar shows 19 pages of salmon recipes from a variety of sources:

http://tasteologie.notcot.org/?action=search&postsub.x=0&postsub.y=0&show=&query=salmon

As a comparison, searching for "trout" shows only 2 pages:

http://tasteologie.notcot.org/?action=search&postsub.x=0&postsub.y=0&show=&query=trout

• Like 3

• Moderators

So this has to do with cables, and bad luck I guess.

So we go out to the bar Saturday night and build a fire and listen to some music, it was us and my brother in law and his wife. No music, lights say it should be playing but nothing. I go into the garage and get this little test speaker and connect to the back of stereo and it works but no sound from the Heresys mounted up on the back wall. So iI go inside and get a little RoomGroove plug in the phone to have some music.

The speakers are mounted up along a back wall with some trawl netting and all kinds of stuff up there as decorations so it's not easy to get to, so I leave it until the next day. As I was standing around the fire keeping warm and having a drink I look up to the outside corrugated metal, it is behind the speakers and I realized it would be much easier to just remove a short piece of metal and have access to the back of the speaker, I immediately felt better, it would be a nightmare taking down everything just to get where I could get the speaker down.

Well the next day I get out a ladder and unscrew a piece of metal, I was shocked to see about 6" from where the speaker wires connect the wire was gone, the other piece was a foot away. A squirrel chewed the wire in two and ate a foot of wire, copper and all. After removing another metal sheet to check the other speaker it was exactly the same. No other wires or anything else was eaten just the speaker wires. I say a squirrel because I seen one out there twice, or it was a mouse ?

I hope they leave the wires alone, I am thinking about putting some poison up there but i am afraid if something was to knock it down one of our dogs may find it so for now I will just hope it's over. I can't take no music out there, it's half the reason I go out there.

• Like 4

Wait DWI, did you just say "too cold to grill right now"? I thought Texans were made of stouter stuff than that. There is no such thing as too cold to grill.
Beg to differ; while living in Iceland for 3 years I NEEDED to grill, I didn't know my gloves were on fire until I got douched by a friend's beer putting them out.
  • Like 8