Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Let me introduce you to a couple of old friends of mine. On the left is Harley and right is Davidson. They were into motorcycles.

Harley%20and%20Davidson_zpsk1bl1pa1.jpg

Can you imagine what those bikes would be worth today?

Here's one of the greatest engineers that ever lived…..Soichiro Honda

post-58190-0-10360000-1455926928_thumb.j

• Like 8

Cool thing about Mr. Honda is that he started with almost nothing and no formal education. Leaving home at 15, he struck out for Tokyo to make his fortune. It's an interesting story how he created an empire.

Yes it is.... Mr. Honda was incredible... I have done a good bit of reading on him.. After WWII that's when he started putting engines on bicycles...Before he started his motor Co. he sold piston rings to Toyota... Toyota turned him down at 1st told him they were not good enough...

Back in the early 70's when the EPA was really starting to get on the BIG three car manufacturers for emission/smog he came to the US and told them he has an engine that meets all the emission/smog standards that was to be imposed by 1975. He said his engine will not only meet the standards but will not need a cat converter.. The CVCC engine. The BIG three auto manufacturers laugh at him. He went to GM and told them he could re-tool and put his CVCC cylinder heads on the 4 & 8 cylinder engines. To my understanding GM gave him a few engines and cars to experiment with. The CVCC heads worked very well on the GM engines.. He went to GM with his proposal... they turned him down saying it would be to costly. It added something like $35 to the cost of each engine.

When I started with Honda back in 1986 I worked on those CVCC engines every day... They were some great engines back then.. That old Accord that I was working on this week was a old CVCC engine... really enjoyed working on it.. 

Before we moved to the US my dad raced motorcycles back in England.. All he rode was BSA, Norton and Triumph's.. He remembers when Honda 1st came to the Isle of Man. The 1st year Honda did not win.. but the years to follow no one could touch Honda...

Yea Mr. Honda is one of my hero's...

For some really cool "old" Honda stuff check out..... www.thisoldhonda.org ........you'll find some neat stuff there..

MKP :-)

• Like 10

Hey Mark and JL, I guess there are Honda fans on here!

Yes, he was an amazing guy, and took great interest in the racers that raced their machines. There are numerous stories about him and the way he treated his racers. Guys like Mike Hailwood, Freddie Spencer, Ayrton Senna.

In the 60s he designed an engine for a new race bike to race in the world championship. It was the RC166, a 250cc 4 stroke inline 6 cylinder. I remember reading about the jewel like precision of the pistons and valve train. And especially a "secret" coating he applied on the cylinder linings. The Honda Racing Corp (HRC) tried to duplicate that "Secret" formula when they were making a replica of the RC166 back around 2006. Even though they had the original engine Mr Honda designed, they couldn't quite get the formula right. After trying a few racing engineering companies around the world, a French engineering company that did work for Formula 1 engines came closer than anyone else in duplicating that friction reducing coating.

Here is that RC166 Mr Honda had designed, there are engine sound audio clips there also. Many say it's the best sounding engine ever made, revs to 18k rpm….http://world.honda.com/MotoGP/history/RC166/

• Like 9

That"s crazy stuff.. ya know I never got into bikes....I mean I rode a few here and there and I liked em... but never owned one... Now my dad on the other hand raced until he was in his later 60's. He would road race.. He got into old Yamaha's. He would race in a vintage class. My dad was also a horse jockey, he worked all the east coast tracks for 30+ years. He just did the Motorcycle racing as a hobby. 

The owner of the one Honda dealer I worked for in the late 80 was cleaning out all his old junk he had. He bought this one Honda motorcycle in the dealer one day. It looked like the one you posted in the video... it was a full blown race bike... but it was only a two cylinder 125cc. He couldn't get it running and none of us car guys wanted it. So I called my dad and told him about it. My dad bought it that afternoon. 

I remember he took it out to Summit Point were he raced... he had a blast with it. If I remember it had a RED line of like 14K and I think the power band was 10k.... I remember my dad saying I've never reved a eng up like this lol lol... He ended up selling it after a few years.... Yea he still kicks himself for selling it :(   and what's really funny is my dad never rode a bike on the street in this country.. he's never owned a street bike he in the US...

• Like 9

Being a big guy I rode Honda XR600R dirt bikes for years which produced 36hp at the rear wheel. Then I bought a Yamaha YZ400F with the ceramic coated cylinder, 5 valve, red line was 13.5K and the bike created close to 59hp at the rear wheel. Riding dirt bikes hasn't been the same since. 

Edited by JL Sargent
  • Like 8

I finally got running water in the bathroom today.

That looks real nice Carl ;)

But all those sparkles reflecting off of your head must look like a Disco Ball!

You and the wife doing Saturday Night Fever???

Rog

PS: Do you ever stop working on stuff at home???

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 6

Good Morning everyone!

My beautiful daughter just made me a cup as I am sitting here typing B) 

I am sniffing on a couple of different sets of KP-600 boxes. Need to set up some boxes for dual 18"s for my stacks :emotion-21: 

Hey MKP! I bought my sisters old 2002 Acura RL 3.5. I know this car is heavy as all get out, but what do you know about getting some power out of one of these 3.5's??

How is everybody this morning?

Was windy as all get out last night, but calm and 60 this morning :emotion-19: 

Roger

• Like 7

Using up the last of my 8 O Clock Coffee this morning, must get some more.

Almost 50 out already, great weather to work in.

As a matter of fact just great weather for Febuary in Chicago.

Sold my in ceiling subwoofer to a local A/V company, hope they want many more.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 6

Good Morning everyone!

I am sniffing on a couple of different sets of KP-600 boxes. Need to set up some boxes for dual 18"s for my stacks :emotion-21: 

Hey MKP! I bought my sisters old 2002 Acura RL 3.5. I know this car is heavy as all get out, but what do you know about getting some power out of one of these 3.5's??

Roger

Very jealous.

I have to make my own coffee and have no KP-600's. :(

• Like 6

Good Morning everyone!

Roger

Very jealous.

Just sell a bunch of those ceiling subs and get your butt to Hope in May MISTER!!  :P

Rog

• Like 6

Good Morning everyone!

Roger

Very jealous.

Just sell a bunch of those ceiling subs and get your butt to Hope in May MISTER!!  :P

Rog

That would be the icing on the cake.

• Like 6

Morning gang

Hell I just realized it's Sat.

Nothing on the agenda, but now knowing it's Sat, SwapMeet sounds good :emotion-21:  

Going to be Tree Trimming the Neighbors on both sides of me, more of their tree is hanging over my property than theirs :blink2:

This need's to be done in order to run that "Long Wire" Ant coming up.

Heading for the 70s, it's all good :emotion-21:

• Like 6

Morning gang...

slept in a bit this morning... was up late..not to much going on today.... will go to the shop later and continue with the clean up...

We'll be staying at mom's house tonight and tomorrow. We told our eldest daughter she needs the weekend off. She'll be picking up her boy friend and stay at our house while were at moms.

Rog...those RL's are some nice cars.... the RL is Acura's flagship... to be honest I don't really know anything about performance up-grades on those cars. I tell ya man I got out of doing any performance work for these Honda guys... I mean I did a few motor swaps and a few engine builds on the "B" engines but never any V-6 engines. Alot of those Honda "racer's" are kids with no money and just a bunch of tool bags. The one build I did for this one guy was a B-16 build in a Civic Si.. This guy had some coin and wanted to run a BIG turbo with BIG boost. So I did full blown out turbo build. Got the block sleeved, forged pistons and all the goodies. It was a $12k build with-out the turbo. I told him lets run the engine for a few weeks and put the turbo on later. That was a good plan for him cuz he didn't have the money for the turbo at the time. Well at the end of the day when I added my time in the car and the money I made on parts.... I really didn't make that much... I make more money doing service work... Oh he never cam back for me to put the turbo on.... I found out he sold the car :huh: Yea tool bag!!!

So me and The BOSS decided we were a maintenance/repair shop and to hell with those fools. If I'm building something it for me or the BOSS ;)

I got my tree guy at the house this morning.... he's taking down a huge Oak... and he'll be bringing me his wife's Toyota Highlander next week for timing belt/ water pump/ spark plugs and all the fluids... Yup I'll take care of his Toyota he does my tree....I love to barter....

OK gang gonna roll .... check in later....

• Like 6

Good afternoon my friends...... Just a quick check in.... Taking in another LIVE concert from the Berlin Philharmonic ...

Simon Rattle conducting an A Capella choir right at this moment....

Here is a direct photo from the iPad app. But I am watching via the main system on the big screen.....

More to follow...image.png

• Like 6