Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Welcome to the machine.

We are all in it aren't we?

Yea we are Steve....

Today marks six months since The BOSS's dad died. Since my farther-in-laws death The BOSS and I have been thrown into that "machine". My farther-in-law did have all of his affairs in order.... and he put my wife as excecture of the estate, and power of attorney of her mom. Mom has advanced alzheimers. 

Now my eldest daughter was the one that found dad.... and since that day she has not left that house.... she is mom's full time care provider.... No one told her to do this... We were told by her that this is what she wants to do.... and she is doing a great job.... you can tell how much she loves mom.... 

But my wife and I know that the day might come when my daughter will not be able to handle mom..... As it is mom is a handfull now.... Dad did leave a good bit of coin but if mom was to go into full time care in that condition the money would dry up quick.

So yea Steve I feel what your saying....My best to ya.....

Oh.... and dad's wishes were that him and mom would be cremated and there ashes mixed into a "companion urn" ...... Dad's ashes aren't sitting on some mantle..... He's on top of one of the Forte's..... dad loved listening to my Klipsch ;)

Yea ......The Machine...... were in it till the end....

MKP :-)

• Like 4

Welcome to the machine.

We are all in it aren't we?

Yea we are Steve....

Today marks six months since The BOSS's dad died. Since my farther-in-laws death The BOSS and I have been thrown into that "machine". My farther-in-law did have all of his affairs in order.... and he put my wife as excecture of the estate, and power of attorney of her mom. Mom has advanced alzheimers. 

Now my eldest daughter was the one that found dad.... and since that day she has not left that house.... she is mom's full time care provider.... No one told her to do this... We were told by her that this is what she wants to do.... and she is doing a great job.... you can tell how much she loves mom.... 

But my wife and I know that the day might come when my daughter will not be able to handle mom..... As it is mom is a handfull now.... Dad did leave a good bit of coin but if mom was to go into full time care in that condition the money would dry up quick.

So yea Steve I feel what your saying....My best to ya.....

Oh.... and dad's wishes were that him and mom would be cremated and there ashes mixed into a "companion urn" ...... Dad's ashes aren't sitting on some mantle..... He's on top of one of the Forte's..... dad loved listening to my Klipsch ;)

Yea ......The Machine...... were in it till the end....

MKP...Thank You :)

• Like 4

• Moderators
No one told her to do this... We were told by her that this is what she wants to do..

I know exactly how she feels, and I know it's not an easy thing sometimes but later she will be happy she got to do it. I am

• Like 4

• Moderators

Good evening all :)

You know what I learned this week? If you have the money, spend it now on whatever trips your trigger. Because if you have to go into assisted living, it will be gone very quickly...

I watched my Mom and Dad work their asses off raising 7 children on very little, They are currently 88 and 87. They were able to save a bit over 400000 this does not including dads pension and medical from Northern Natural Gas....

Anyway after a bit over 3 years in an assisted living home and medical care Dad needed they have about 10 months worth of rent left. This assisted living home they were in could not guarantee that a Medicaid room would be available, so we "My self, sisters and brother" moved them to another assisted living home that would guarantee them this...

After their savings is gone, uncle sam will take dads pension, medical just goes away and I believe they will be able to keep 60.00 each a month from social security,

It is terrible and complex. You have to go to a certified elder care attorney, I would highly recommend this if you haven't done so already.

• Like 3

Saturday morning, feeling a little muggy outside. Had some storms blow through overnight and the power blinked off for about ten minutes. Very little rain with it, but there are leaves everywhere. The trees are stressed from the drought conditions we've had around here, so they come off rather easily.

The wife is working an extra shift today and wanted me to go with her while she drove. We don't totally trust the gps and she isn't familiar enough with this location to drive by herself. Now... I'm back home and having the first cup of coffee for the day. Going to be another hot one.

Bruce

• Like 3

You know what I learned this week? If you have the money, spend it now on whatever trips your trigger. Because if you have to go into assisted living, it will be gone very quickly...

I watched my Mom and Dad work their asses off raising 7 children on very little, They are currently 88 and 87. They were able to save a bit over 400000 this does not including dads pension and medical from Northern Natural Gas....

Anyway after a bit over 3 years in an assisted living home and medical care Dad needed they have about 10 months worth of rent left. This assisted living home they were in could not guarantee that a Medicaid room would be available, so we "My self, sisters and brother" moved them to another assisted living home that would guarantee them this...

After their savings is gone, uncle sam will take dads pension, medical just goes away and I believe they will be able to keep 60.00 each a month from social security,

It is terrible and complex. You have to go to a certified elder care attorney, I would highly recommend this if you haven't done so already.

Please elaborate. Seems like this would just make the money dry up even faster.

• Moderators

Please elaborate. Seems like this would just make the money dry up even faster.

Probably over your head.

Spur of the moment decision---smoking a pork shoulder, molasses and McCormick's brown sugar bourbon seasoning.  Cicadas singing, it's definitely summer.

My spur of the moment decision came at Costco this afternoon.....I'll be doing a few racks of ribs tomorrow with a couple of different rubs that I picked up in Memphis during my recent trip to Hope.....

Care to share the molasses etc. recipe?  Sounds yummy.

Basically I just use molasses instead of brown sugar.  Rub it on first , then apply your chosen spice mix and it sticks right on.  This time I'm trying McCormicks brown sugar bourbon spice, other times I will use another pre-mix rub, including homemade "essence" by Emeril.  Winging it usually becomes a mix of cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, and maybe some herbs.  My approach is fairly improvisational, thanks to a jazz background.

Later today I'll let you know how it turned out.

• Like 3

Good Sunday morning.

It's another beautiful day in Southeast Michigan . . . darn it. We need rain, not like some out west, but we could use some rain.

Soon our older son, a cop in DC, will make his weekly Sunday morning call. That should be thought provoking.

Enjoy the day.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 5

Spur of the moment decision---smoking a pork shoulder, molasses and McCormick's brown sugar bourbon seasoning.  Cicadas singing, it's definitely summer.

My spur of the moment decision came at Costco this afternoon.....I'll be doing a few racks of ribs tomorrow with a couple of different rubs that I picked up in Memphis during my recent trip to Hope.....

Care to share the molasses etc. recipe?  Sounds yummy.

Basically I just use molasses instead of brown sugar.  Rub it on first , then apply your chosen spice mix and it sticks right on.  This time I'm trying McCormicks brown sugar bourbon spice, other times I will use another pre-mix rub, including homemade "essence" by Emeril.  Winging it usually becomes a mix of cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, and maybe some herbs.  My approach is fairly improvisational, thanks to a jazz background.

Later today I'll let you know how it turned out.

I had a good feeling about this one from the time I picked it out.  The fat cap melted away leaving a relatively thin bark which was tasty and right between crispy and chewy.  Great smoke ring and smoky but not overpoweringly so flavor and so tender that pulling was effortless with a couple of forks.  No sauce at least for the first meal---I had it pseudo Memphis style, with cole slaw and some dill pickle, but without the bun.  It was all done on the smoker, with no wrapping until taking it off, then wrapped in foil (no butcher paper on hand darn it) and rested in the faux cambro for two hours.

• Like 4

Sounds great.  I take it you liked the McCormick's?

My ribs were postponed until today.  It was so beautiful yesterday that we decided to take a drive to Lake Michigan (only 45 mins or so).  Today a bit warmer, still nice, but a better stay at home BBQ day.

• Like 4

The McCormicks made it easy, and the end result was good.  I usually go spicier with rubs but decided to experiment with toning it down.  I had chicken in mind when I bought it, and on sale at $1.25 a bottle gave it a try, along with the staple montreal seasoning, both regular and spicy for steak, and smoky maple, which is good for chicken or fish when I have to go electric at the condo.  As with any store bought mix, you can always tinker with it to taste.  For ribs I usually go with my home made essence, which I make without the salt, then salt to taste plus brown sugar.

• Like 2

Morning all...

We had a good time on the deck last night.... the young couple from next door stopped by.... we were up till about 1:30 playing music and just having a good time. Burgers turned out great...Might do some chicken today...

Today I'll be trowing some top soil & seed in the hole that I filled last weekend with fill. I just want the hole taken care of this year.... the long term plan is grade the back yard and I want to have a pond.... a Koi pond.

While I was in the back yard yesterday I found a small little bat hanging on a tree.... he was really cool...

Hey OT glad your ribs turned out good....

Jim... enjoy your BBQ today.....

OK.... I gotta get started...slept in some this morning cuz of the late night....I can't hang.... I need my rest :lol:

A good day to all....check in later...

post-58704-0-34820000-1468164084_thumb.j

post-58704-0-50540000-1468164171_thumb.j

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE
  • Like 7

Good morning/afternoon my friends.......... :emotion-44: :emotion-44: :emotion-44:

Cool bat MKP !  And your deck looks very nice...  We don't have the fire torches, but 25 watt equiv. LEDs downfiring on 8' posts with all new hanging plants as usual each summer as  seen before... 

Sounds like a BBQ day for most everyone!   Happy times with outdoor cookin' for sure :emotion-21:

For some reason, I have become the official landscape lighting guy in our side of this little, essentially gated neighborhood.   Had my place lighted for a few years, and the lawn garden trees uplighted as well.

Now, I have installed newer high tech low voltage lighting at two neighbors homes.   Yesterday installed 4 Hampton Bay 50 watt wide spot LED heads under as many trees at a home directly across the road from us.   Put over 100' of power cable under the mulch etc.   They had an elect. contractor install an outdoor duplex for my use with a timer/transformer.  Last night, everything went on around 8:30pm.  Looks very nice.

Another neighbor has the newest home and half way up the front side of the house is man made stonework.  I put low level uplighting on all that stone work including a three sided bump out where the kitchen dinning area is.  

Now, another neighbor has asked me to do a single birch  tree in her back yard, and one small tree in the front garden.   I am happy to receive bottles of fine VINO for ALL these nice people for payment.............I'm having a good time :emotion-21:   and this end of our little neighborhood is pretty good to drive by after dark :smile:

I will take some photos and share here soon...   Just have to go out with the DSLR and a tripod to get good photos in the dark..

Meanwhile, enjoy your day everyone, hoping we can get a dinner from the outdoor 'kitchen' on the deck later this evening :wink: been rainy which is good for our drought conditions...

.............Gary

• Like 5