Bone head move

Max2

A few months back I remodeled my "above garage room". New flooring, paint, acoustical panels, can lights, etc.  Since then something sounded a little bit mono and kind of thin, but I had made so many changes in my room in a short period I let it go. Well , last night I pulled both of my mains out and sure enough, I had the main speaker input wire out of phase on the left side. How in the world do I go red/negative and black/positive? Maybe because the lighting is so bad up there even though I added 4 can lights?  Anyway, I was elated and had a little celebration all by myself right then.  I swapped the wires, sat down and immediately the left+right  speakers meshed so much better. I popped in in DVDA and ran about 10 watts through them even though the baby was asleep at the other end of the house, yeah I was that happy. I haven't had in phase stereo in months, but the weekend is going to start out much better knowing what I was missing was replenished with the easy swap of two wires.

• Like 3

DVDA

Whenever someone post about dvda, I think of something else. 

Anyways those little things are the ones that make you scratch your head.  Your mad that you didn't catch it sooner, but happy its something so simple.  I thought my left speaker output went out on my receiver.  I was telling my buddy about it at work, he reminds me of the little ones at home who are learning to walk and grabbing everything in sight.  Especially knobs, soon as I was home I checked the balance knob and sure enough it was turned to the opposite side.  What do you know something simple, woo hoo.

• Like 2

You're right Duder.  I think the majority I have learned in life has come from complicated and simple mistakes, but it sure is nice once in while correcting a mistake so quickly and easily with 100% reversal and no blood to wipe up, bandaids to break out or a hijacking of the wallet.

• Like 2

A few months back I remodeled my "above garage room". New flooring, paint, acoustical panels, can lights, etc.  Since then something sounded a little bit mono and kind of thin, but I had made so many changes in my room in a short period I let it go. Well , last night I pulled both of my mains out and sure enough, I had the main speaker input wire out of phase on the left side. How in the world do I go red/negative and black/positive? Maybe because the lighting is so bad up there even though I added 4 can lights?  Anyway, I was elated and had a little celebration all by myself right then.  I swapped the wires, sat down and immediately the left+right  speakers meshed so much better. I popped in in DVDA and ran about 10 watts through them even though the baby was asleep at the other end of the house, yeah I was that happy. I haven't had in phase stereo in months, but the weekend is going to start out much better knowing what I was missing was replenished with the easy swap of two wires.

Done that before. Is a good feeling it is a simple fix. Bass sure does improve, huh?

• Like 1

Done that before. Is a good feeling it is a simple fix. Bass sure does improve, huh?

Oh yeah, bass straightened out and it seemed to lose a midrange kind of warble or thin sound.

• Like 1

sheffield labs' "my disc" is the first thing I always play after any system change (especially ones that involve interconnects and speaker wires) to test for proper channel connections and phase.

That's pretty cool and I could use one of those.   Audyssey said that my left front and left rear were both out of phase, but I have seen that before and both turn out not to be.  I just let it go. As many times as I have setup Audyssey only to get crappy sound with music I have given up.  After the big rug and padding I put down in the room along with 100 sq feet of Acoustic panels I thought maybe Audyssey will throw me a good card this round correcting all the reverb, echos, etc.....Nada.  Audyssey still covers up or masks music content with the boosts and cuts.  It may make up with a boost here or there, but it seems to cover up  delicate features of the song or color it in a way where it just sounds compressed or distorted. Resolution is tossed out the window.  I hear a lot of people that have great luck with AudysseyXT 32 versions with music, but my setup seems to morph the original into something that not only its not, but do it in a way that it just sounds like crap.  Im wondering if I have a bad mic, but I have used the Audyssey mic with REW and it seems to be ok and doesn't show any crazy readings.  Im just sticking with a direct source.

• Like 1

You crossed your pos and neg?  Geez, that IS boneheaded.  I'm sure nobody else here has ever done that.

Lord knows I'm perfect, and I've never done that.

:rolleyes::lol::P

I have stories too numerous to mention.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

You crossed your pos and neg?  Geez, that IS boneheaded.  I'm sure nobody else here has ever done that.

Lord knows I'm perfect, and I've never done that.

:rolleyes::lol::P

I have stories too numerous to mention.

The act is not what gets me, its how long I knew something wasn't quite right, but let it go. Always trust your gut and if you're wrong you can blame your gut instead of yourself !

Yep been there too, matter of fact just last week. Found that when we wired the networks to the tweeters in my new KHorns the right side tweet was wired out of phase. Had some friends over for a listen and a golden eared veteran with years of critical listening experience was certain something didn't sound right. "Something's out of phase or the room is causing an imbalance". We look at each other, and with my three decades of hifi heard nothing, neither did another. So now I'm concerned something is wrong with my cherished KHorns so the next day I pull 'em out the corner and there it is, cross wired at the network input. Big relief, all was put right and yep they certainly sound much more coherent. Embarrassed I didn't pick it out, for several days none the less. So I used the opportunity to replace older cable with better and pipe insulation seal to the corners. All is good but a dinged ego.

If it makes you feel better, recently after rearranging some stuff I had a full range signal going to one of my subwoofers.  I had one sub output going to one side of my sub amp, but the other side of the amp was getting a full range signal.  I don't have a crossover set up on the amp either.  I had voices and guitars and all kinds of stuff coming through half my subs, with me wondering why things sounded weird.  The RCA output for the subs was in a row of other RCA outputs and I was one off.  

• Like 1