When Does Your System Sound Best?

SWL

When I was a drinker, I'd spend a lot of late nights listening because it sounded so good at night. Dark, quiet etc. and one more song would turn into a dozen.

Now, late nights are less and less. I've gotten into the habit of working out early mornings on the weekends.....the tunes during and especially after the workouts has made listening so much more rewarding. I suppose it proves that the fact that the workout lifts your mood and in turn makes the system sound better and more enjoyable. I usually workout between 5-6 am and sometimes it's hard to get out of the house before 10!

Anyway, even when I was a drinker I never understood all the comments about how drugs and alcohol enhance peoples listening experience. They dull your senses, reaction time etc. Unless your listening at balls out levels, at a concert or whatever it doesn't makes much sense to me.

Maybe I was drinking the wrong beer and doing all the wrong drugs?[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have to admit... and frankly I thought I was merely hallucinating... that my system sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better at night than it does during the day time.

What I have come to realize is, that at night my room is closed up with curtains drawn and reflectivity cut down to a minimum.

I've been alcohol and drug free my entire adult life and find my music sounds best in the AM. I love it all day and night but mornings are the time I fire up my dual 1229 and sort thru my vinyl collection and just get into really listening to the music. Throughout the day music is background for living and working but AM is time for music listening priority. 

I like reading about audio audio equipment and love a good system but it's the music that is most interesting to me. Solid state versus Tubes is fun to read about but my Tom Petty Greatest Hits record moves me. Even without booze, drugs, $10,000 mono blocks on the floor with expensive cables on risers, that album and 100s of others make for a great start to my day. 

Btw, my Forte1s and my old rebuilt Dual and my midpriced Yamaha receiver with my HSU sub sounds better than anyone's system that I know. I know SS is harsh and subs are a no no around here but my music makes me happy and I'm not chasing the never satisfied bug. 

• Like 3

If I had a guess relaxation has a lot to do with it.  Most are winding down at night, rather they are drinking or doing drugs.  I wouldn't say drugs and alcohol enhance my experience, more or less give it a different perspective.  It would really decide on my mood, which changes once I start feeding myself with different genres of music.  Once you stop your work out, you go into what may be a relaxing state.  While driving I have more energy when listening to music, rather I be relaxing on my way to work or venting on my way home.   I don't get a lot of opportunity to listen through out the week.  Mainly on weekend nights such as Friday and Saturday nights, usually I fall asleep during these sessions. I will say I do enjoy listening at this time quite a bit.

This is a good topic by the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWL said:

I've gotten into the habit of working out early mornings on the weekends.....the tunes during and especially after the workouts has made listening so much more rewarding. I suppose it proves that the fact that the workout lifts your mood and in turn makes the system sound better and more enjoyable. I usually workout between 5-6 am and sometimes it's hard to get out of the house before 10!

I can totally under stand this... After a good workout you brain gets rewarded with serotonin. I know after I put in a good workout I feel great. 
My shop is were I spend most of my time and it's were I listen to music the most. So during the day I'll be working on a good job.... things are going good.... making some money.... and the music is great. Now the shop isn't the best place for critical listening but it still sounds great. 

Back at the house after work or on the weekends after I've worked around the house getting stuff done, the music is great.... I'm in the mood for it.

Like last night... the wife and did some stuff around the house yesterday, then we watched a movie after that it was music time.  The music was great.

and there are times I'm not in the best mood.... got crapp going on.... just kinda shitty.... I'll put on some tunes to try to change my mood, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... yea I think your mood, state of mind has a lot to do with our listening sessions.

MKP :-)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

I can totally under stand this... After a good workout you brain gets rewarded with serotonin. I know after I put in a good workout I feel great. 
My shop is were I spend most of my time and it's were I listen to music the most. So during the day I'll be working on a good job.... things are going good.... making some money.... and the music is great. Now the shop isn't the best place for critical listening but it still sounds great. 

Back at the house after work or on the weekends after I've worked around the house getting stuff done, the music is great.... I'm in the mood for it.

Like last night... the wife and did some stuff around the house yesterday, then we watched a movie after that it was music time.  The music was great.

and there are times I'm not in the best mood.... got crapp going on.... just kinda shitty.... I'll put on some tunes to try to change my mood, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... yea I think your mood, state of mind has a lot to do with our listening sessions.

MKP :-)

Music is a great therapeutic tool. It has been my personal choice of therapy since I got clean and sober in 2003. 

There is no special time of day that the music sounds better to me, just anytime I can find the time to relax and adjust my attitude accordingly with what ever genre or artist that fits the bill.

Tom

Depends entirely on my mental state of mind and it's ability to focus itself on the music. Time of day isn't as important as the mental aspect. Work and life makes evenings the most likely time to reach the necessary state of mind. Sipping a Maker's Mark is not necessary, but contributes to the overall relaxation of mood.

Technically speaking:

When the density altitude of my living room is equivalent to or below the value of the day I last opened up the rear chambers of all my bass bins and subwoofer. Also, anytime after an hour or two of the system playing quietly, whereby everything has had a chance to loosen up....in particular after a night-long session of playing white noise or the like.

3 hours ago, SWL said:

Unless your listening at balls out levels....

Booze helps my ears endure the onslaught. :emotion-14:

I'm looking at this from the perspective of music, not music gear.

When I'm getting ready for the racquetball wars at 6p, I like upbeat music, LOUD.  Crank it up! 

At night I prefer classical music, with a full sound but significantly lower sound levels.  The classical can still be upbeat like Shostakovitch 10th Symphony, but it can't be loud.

But listening to the Shosty 10 finale turned up LOUD?  You can't do that before bed, it will get you going, it is NOT sleepy music!  B)

• Like 1

I enjoy listening to music with other but, when I have the system to myself is the best time.  I pick the music, volume and find something that fits my mood.  I usally listen at around 70-80 db or less.  Sometimes I like to have to really listen to hear the details.  Now this is a bit odd but, the system sound better also after a fresh calibration.

Music tends to sound better to me at night, but I am a Night Person.

When I was depressed or anxious as a teenager, the finale of Beethoven's 7th Symphony,  Rene Leibowitz version, vinyl, played on my Ortofon/SME/Thorens/Dyna/JBL system, at very high volume would cure me rapidly.  Also playing in the high school orchestra made up for the rest of the experience and may have saved my life.  More recently, the finale of Beethoven's 7th Symphony,  Rene Leibowitz version on CD (Chesky) played very loudly on my OPPO/Marantz/NAD/Klipsch system is better than Buspar, and more liberating than Librium, because it wraps up all my concerns and cathartically sends them flying. .

• Like 2

I've subscribed to the idea that outside human/mechanical activity has an effect on in-house sound quality. Even if the windows are closed and the noise source is a mile away.

I agree.....totally.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Moderators
23 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I enjoy listening to music with other but, when I have the system to myself is the best time.  I pick the music, volume and find something that fits my mood. 

Same for me, at night when the wife is working in the back room and I can give it a little more power than the usuialy. 

That's my best guess, I turn it on in the AM and off sometime at night if someone wants to watch tv, it's pretty much on all day.

There are other strange times when I just stand there and can not figure out what I want to hear, that becomes Pandora time for background music.

• Like 1

Night air is normally denser, due to its being cooler and often more moisture-laden.  Sound normally "carries further" at night...ask any infantryman and he can tell you this. Especially in the absence of light, this is true, since as one sense diminishes in effectiveness, the others try to make up for it...visibility diminishes, so hearing tries to make up for it.

• Like 1