Hurricane Irma 2017

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

The eye has passed over us and our family and home are safe.  We never felt like we needed to go to the "safe room" so I feel extremely blessed.  The wind blew hard but I never felt threatened.  Praying everyone else is safe and your property is as well.  There are some bands behind us but shouldn't be near what we had tonight.  I'm headed to bed.  It's been a really long past few days.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Youthman said:

The eye has passed over us and our family and home are safe.

Same with us.  You on the west side of the eye us on the east.

We never felt like we needed to go to the "safe room" so I feel extremely blessed.  The wind blew hard but I never felt threatened.

We did.  80mph sustained with 100mph gusts.  The TV meteorologist described this wall of wind similar to a smaller derecho which is like a tsunami of wind.  Pretty darn scary.  I used to think these "events" were kind of cool until Charley came through like a buzz saw in 2004.  A single totally exposed 80ft pine tree with a 30in diameter trunk could still topple and fall on any of four neighbor's homes including mine.  Charley knocked it's twin down back in 2004 and it would have landed where our master bedroom is.  

Praying everyone else is safe and your property is as well.

Us too.

Bill

• Like 2

@dwilawyer yep it's cool and drizzling, nothing is gonna happen here. The jet stream came down from the Great White North and we've been in free ac mode with the windows open for almost all week. Broiled salmon, made tamale pie in the iron skillet and the smells just don't stay inside when it's like this! We're down to forecasts of 40 something mph gusts later today, nothing like what I read Thurs and Fri.

I am relieved for all the folks in FL, this could have been really awful.

Jose is not making it's turn to the north yet either, looks like the southeast might get soggy from it soon.

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

I think my friends in Wellington, Ft. Lauderdale and Jupiter are.coming through ok.

Last word I saw is that @Youthman is going to come through ok.  Ifnthat is the case I'm very glad to hear that.

if'n... Love it!

One bodacious southern conjunction!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Happy to see how much it slowed down before and after it hit any land. Kind of reminded me of Katrina, it was also much more powerful a couple of days before it made landfall.

We had 140 mph winds here for Katrina, so I would not want to see what would happen with winds of 180+, very scary. I know there is lots of damage but it would have been much worse. 

Glad to hear (so far) things are not as bad as they could have been. 

Glad that you south of us looking like alright. Would not be surprised some without power. Just brought the 3 cats back home and leaving them. Saw a tree down that a workcrew was cutting up and just minor limb and leaf debris around here, that have seen, so far. Minor gusts and some rain persisting but nothing up here we should be concerned about. Going back to motel and report findings to Nan. Looks like a few more hours here and will be back close to normal maybe with sunshine tomorrow. Be safe around downed lines folks. Alright then... looks like we never lost power...amazing.

• Thanks 1