Oppo Hanging up Their Hat

Rivernuggets

This is just really strange because just about everything they make is highly regarded.  

I am wondering if they see the writing on the wall that physical removable media is going away, though the device is also a media hub.

I guess my region free 203 is now a collectors item.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Schu said:

This is just really strange because just about everything they make is highly regarded.  

I am wondering if they see the writing on the wall that physical removable media is going away, though the device is also a media hub.

See what happens when you buy a new turntable...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Schu said:

I think it's just considered a niche compared to their mobile phone market

Here's an article by Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/04/02/oppo-shock-popular-av-brand-announces-that-its-time-to-say-goodbye/#66cc28dc3acc

There is an enduring truth that those running a successful business know; you're not in business to sell your product, you're in business to make money.  I would be interested in what the back story is.

• Like 1

If there is a back story about acquisition, it wouldn"'t be a Japanese company... more than likely Korean or Chinese company. Even that doesn't make sense though because you would want to acquire a functioning company in good standing with an ongoing positive reputation.

There wasn't even an attempt by the employees to buy the company.

Like any acquisition... it's financed.

Or .... You take on a partner and that partner(s) make the bank proposal... the employees agree to maintain a status quo in terms of production and development in return for a "minor" holding and financial stake.

14 minutes ago, oldtimer said:
19 minutes ago, Schu said:

There wasn't even an attempt by the employees to buy the company.

That would take money.  How much do you think they were paid?  Or, it would take debt.  Who would put up the cash?

Oppo is an overpriced niche market. I purchased a sony that does what they do over HDMI. Granted, if you need all of the cables then, granted, they made a great product....Fwiw, I agree with the folks that say streaming is the mainstream way to go and I will continue to purchase DVD-A/SACD players as mine break down.