What alters sound more?

Idontknow

In your guys opinion, what has more impact on differences in sound in most cases. I'm not necessarily saying for the better or for worse. If you had to choose what alters it the most. Of course there's other components, but let's just stick to these. I'm curious what the average one turns out to be.

DAC?

Room?

Preamp?

Amplifier?

Speakers?

Recording quality?

Thanks,

---daniel

• Like 2

Garbage in, garbage out

Everything else subtracts from the original signal quality

every touch does something.

Less touch is the argument for simple tube amps and an analog record player and horn loaded speakers

• Like 1

To me, the room is the leading factor affecting audio quality.

I believe even a budget system can sound fantastic in the right room. And I believe there is no SINGLE right room, but a variety

of room factors and not necessarily all of them together, can make for a great sound system.

• Like 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

The better the speakers the better the amp the better the pre and most importantly the better the source,

For me at least, I have great speakers, but nothing to get excited about with amp or preamp and still have amazing sound, I would put against 90% of what's out there. imo

But a not so good recording can ruin any setup. 

I listen for the music and not the equipment, if it works I am good, no reason to change.

Is there better, sure but there always will be, so I just enjoy the music, if it sounds amazing which is easy to hear, I'm good. I have chased better sound for 50 years and now I just enjoy the best I have ever had.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, dtel said:

I listen for the music and not the equipment, if it works I am good, no reason to change.

Is there better, sure but there always will be, so I just enjoy the music, if it sounds amazing which is easy to hear, I'm good. I have chased better sound for 50 years and now I just enjoy the best I have ever had.

This is IT as far as I'm concerned. I sit down to listen to the music, even if the equipment isn't really up to par. To paraphrase the late Dave Mallette, if it gets your toes tappin' it's good.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, dtel said:

I am in your camp myself now. Quit chasing my tail like a dog who will never catch it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

This is IT as far as I'm concerned. I sit down to listen to the music, even if the equipment isn't really up to par. To paraphrase the late Dave Mallette, if it gets your toes tappin' it's good.

Toe tapping is a good indicator you like what you hear. Best if you do not realize you are doing it. 

• Like 3

It would  require  a  really  horrible  pathetic room   for me to put room   at the top  of my list  . In a normal  home environment,   it’s all about the speakers , speakers speakers all the way🤓            

• Thanks 2

Honestly, WAF can be the number one factor determining the size of your speakers, the maximum volume you can listen to your music, how far you can place the speakers from the wall in terms of speaker placement, and whether you can opt for that "actually expensive amplifier" or stick with the "affordable model," etc..etc...

• Like 1

WAF has never been a factor for me. I’ve always had a dedicated room and am very thankful for that. And this goes along with @Tom05 comment. I tried to get something resembling average sound in my open floor plan living room, but just gave up. Sure it sounds ok, but hardly conducive for serious listening. And I pity anyone who has to settle for setting up a system in such a room. But then again, if one has never experienced a really good sounding room, they wouldn’t know what they are missing.

• Like 1