What I Got Today!

Brac

Cars and racing is my biggest hobby, so most of my new stuff involves expensive automotive parts.  That said, I just recent got a new header.   :)

Nice!  Are those powder coated?  I don't know what holds up to that high heat.

Back in the late 70's I modded my Dodge van 318 cuin 8 cyl engine with Hooker Headers, Arvin Asp muffler, cold air intake, Eldebrock manifold, Holley 650/400 cmf carb (two smaller holes for economy, 2 larger holes for power).  Of course it made the van run strong, but because of the increased gas flow and opened up exhaust, it got great gas mileage way ahead of its time! 

As long as you kept your foot off the gas, of course.  B)

• Like 1

Cars and racing is my biggest hobby, so most of my new stuff involves expensive automotive parts.  That said, I just recent got a new header.   :)

Nice!  Are those powder coated?  I don't know what holds up to that high heat.

Back in the late 70's I modded my Dodge van 318 cuin 8 cyl engine with Hooker Headers, Arvin Asp muffler, cold air intake, Eldebrock manifold, Holley 650/400 cmf carb (two smaller holes for economy, 2 larger holes for power).  Of course it made the van run strong, but because of the increased gas flow and opened up exhaust, it got great gas mileage way ahead of its time! 

It's a ceramic coating by SwainTech.  It's applied as a molten state as I understand.  It's very thick and requires a grinder to get off.  I've used it on 3 headers and a turbo exhaust housing now.  It's pricey and takes awhile to get your parts back, but it's supposedly the best coating you can get.  

Keep your foot off the gas?  Blasphemy...  Flat! Out!

12199359173_6d7fa7c4d4_b.jpg

9971963683_ecf48cf3e0_b.jpg

9971780075_282a15e8c4_b.jpg

I've modded a few cars over the years and have been tuning customer cars for some time when time permits between my civilian and military jobs.  The car in my Avatar is a 1995 Taurus SHO that I sold a few years ago.  I built it up pretty nicely and made 550whp on 14 PSI.  My current toys are an S2000 (track car) and an STi (mostly a garage queen because of spotty weather here).  Both cars don't see winter driving, so they're stored under a cover for 6 months a year, which is one of the many reasons I'm trying to move back to Arizona this year.  

253043_10151245046707112_7217960_n.jpg?o

9969972363_19f7d1bf94_b.jpg

Track car

24290841109_e480df1d05_b.jpg

Looks stock

22010752226_ae0960416d_b.jpg

This is what the header in the previous post is going on:

22340188078_dd44e722b6_b.jpg

Sorry if I posted too many pictures.

• Like 4

You can't load too many pics around here, we love them, especially hot rodded car pics :D

I'll bet that Honda is fun on the track, where do you track it? I visit the racetrack a few times a year, but on 2 wheels.

Didn't Yamaha produce the SHO engine?

Awesome photos.

• Like 2

Haha, okay.  The Honda is a blast on track.  I believe I hit 16 track days last year with it and competed in 1 Time Trials (TTB) event with NASA, and won.  Hoosier sent me a free set of R7's for the win too.   :)  My local track, which is only 10 minutes away is Raceway Park of the Midlands (Formerly Mid America Motorplex), but I try to hit different tracks through the country each year.

Here's one of my last NASA events this past season.  I had already won my class, so I just lined up in the back and chased cars down:

This was the last event of the season where I finally tried using both my GoPro's at the same time: 

Yep, Yamaha made the old V6 SHO motors.  Great engines, but the car around it wasn't ideal.  I am currently the tuner for a 95 SHO in Atlanta that has been upsetting records and with his current setup going in, we are hoping to get him deep into the 10's in the 1/4 and 170+mph in the half (currently at 11.55 in the 1/4 and 151mph in the 1/2).  

• Like 3

Picked this up this afternoon.....only catch is I can't install it till my stitches heal in about a week...

Let you know what I think.

Thanks,

G.E.M.

You are a dog. ;)  :D

When you do get it up and running, I want feedback asap.

I have been salivating ever since I saw these AVM60s previewed and could not believe the price of $2999.00(still a bunch of change) considering the previous generation AVM-50v2 3D lists for $6000.00+.

Bill

You weren't the guy with the Dodge van with the waterbed in the back that played two songs and two songs only: "Slow Ride" and "Smoke on the Water"?

I believe they made a movie about that guy as one of the first movies of this type, long before the Porky's movie series, which was a very low-budget film called “The Van.” This very low-budget film tells the story of the high-school graduate, who buys a customized Dodge van (including a waterbed), with his college savings, in order to use it to pick up women. :huh:

_ The_Van_1977_poster.jpg

post-36163-0-40680000-1456890461_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

horn lenses are kinda like for show more than go, they are different so companies can look unique and often to get around patents. Don Keele was a master of that art form. These and the JBL M2 lens are good examples of that. What make this a nice horn is the fact that it is a low compression ration conical horn so it is a low distortion horn and that sounds good. Looks cool does not make noises of its own that works for me.

Schu: that picture pretty much makes my point for me. Those two cupped hands do a fairly good job of directing the sound to where it is intended to go. Before you jump into "lets make fun mode" please remember I did not say that horn lenses were not important but fancy ones are usually a way to look good or look different (and that might just be very important). Simple rules the day and the prime example of this is arguably the finest product that Klipsch has ever produced and that would be the K402 horn.

Most of Roy's horn designs are based upon the same design format that you can see in the RP series horn, a conical throat section which transitions into a flare profile or set of profiles to achieve the desired dispersion. In the new RP horn it is easy to see that this horn has a conical throat section that opens or expands more rapidly than any other Klipsch design that I have seen. That means it also has the lowest back pressure or compression ratio and that is a good part of why it will distort less and sound better. Exact throat geometry is the secret to excellent sounding horns but your don't want to screw it up with a lot of reflections from the mouth either so you do need to pay attention to details. You might care to read some of the papers written by Earl Geddes He has done a lot of research into horn and wave guide geometry.

http://www.gedlee.com/

• CECAA850 changed the title to What I Got Today!