Cornwall IV

tipatina

9 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

I agree with this statement so much it is worth repeating a third time. This is why I am a proponent for developing a Chorus III. Now I would like to hear thoughts on baffle diffraction and edge diffraction in a large box. My 30 year old JBL 250Ti solve those cabinet diffraction issues, are internaly braced and filled, and look good all at the same time. The only thing getting in the way of utilizing these well known solutions to well know issues, that I can come up with, is cost and profit margin. 

Actually it is the box not the diffraction.  Box needs to be massively braced due to the large panel sizes.  In actuality, width of the board the woofer is on needs to be as big as possible to reduce baffle step issues.  One thing that is somewhat compensated for by putting the woofer closer to the floor.

It looks and sounds as if the new Cornwall IV is a major improvement. A couple of thoughts come to mind:

First, given the relatively high distortion generated by tuned port vs. horn loaded bass in the lower end, it’s curious that the cross to midrange is still kept relatively high in the new Cornwall IV. As an owner of Cornwall I’s with solder lug K-55’s and B2 crossover design, it would be interesting first and foremost to see a distortion comparison between the two from say 30hz to 800hz. 

Second,  does the introduction of the new mumps tractrix midrange on the Cornwall IV in addition to the Forte III, implicitly confirm the obsolescence of the k-400 to k-700 series of exponential horns?

Lastly, given the new bass porting and midrange horn, is the new Cornwall IV now getting close to, or better than, the Lascala and Klipschorn in midrange clarity, and significantly closer to their bass distortion performance? Paul Klipsch used to market the smaller Heritage speakers as 2/3 Klipschorn. Are we now being offered, say, 8/10th’s at half the price?

Looks like another great job by Roy and the Klipsch organization.

BeFuddledinMn said:

"Second,  does the introduction of the new mumps tractrix midrange on the Cornwall IV in addition to the Forte III, implicitly confirm the obsolescence of the k-400 to k-700 series of exponential horns?"

The K400/401 was sized to fit in the existing top hat of K-horn (sized to fit the original K-5 series). Everyone agrees that the K401 is too small. To change it to a larger horn would require making the top hat significantly bigger, which would change the proportions of the Klipschorn. It seems that Klipsch was not willing to do that. As far as "obsolescence" goes, Klipsch has been moving to tractrix for a while in other products. So, yeah the rest of the exponential horns are being slowly obsoleted, but the proportions of the Klipschorn seem to restrict that system to the K-401 for the foreseeable future. I don't know what kind of crossover design Roy used to tame the K55/401, but from Stereophile's review, which of course was botched, it looks less jagged than the response Heyser measured in 1982. Of course, it is risky to compare measurements between two different set-ups seperated by 37 years of time. 

On 9/10/2019 at 3:28 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

ABSOLUTELY NOBODY IN HISTORY can beat the Brit cal .303 Lee-Enfield rifles model designations in confusing anybody...I think they INVENTED confusing designations, even to the point of RE-DESIGNATING specific models more than once!!  The Brits even have Harley-Davidson's "alphabet soup" model designations beat hands-down!! 

My favorite is the Lee Enfield No. 4 MK1 which I shoot in the CMP matches.  But back to the CW4, I would love to hear an A-B with the CW1 (and with the Forte III).  I was never too keen on the CW3 mid horn.  I suspect the CW4 will be considerably smoother than the predicate models as you crank 'em up loud.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 3:32 PM, Khornukopia said:

Just looking at pictures of the new Cornwall IV makes me happy.

Me too. It's nice to see Klipsch finally going to an Axpona-type show. Relative to the myriad of "outrageously overpriced little boxes with little woofers" Klipsch Cornwall and Heresy stomps them on a "quality sound per dollar" basis. I've seen people charge $15,000 for a pair of bookshelf speakers that are bested by a $600 pair of Klipsch RP-600M's you can get on Amazon with free delivery to your door. Also please note that NO ONE in any audio company I know of ever talks about Intermodulation Distortion, for which, among other things, PWK received an AES Silver Medal of Honor.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
On 9/15/2019 at 11:10 AM, Arkytype said:

boom3 wrote: So, yeah the rest of the exponential horns are being slowly obsoleted, but the proportions of the Klipschorn seem to restrict that system to the K-401 for the foreseeable future.

Dave Harris' Eliptrac 400 horns fit nicely in my Klipschorns. K400 upgrade? Check. Tractrix expansion. Check. 2" driver throat. Check.

Lee

Constant coverage...chhhhh....oops. Not a klipsch designed horn so not the same. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A bit off topic, but I have a question for @Chief bonehead; are there any Klipsch changes you like? (He may not be able to answer me, or with a mysterious sentence of which he has the secret 😆)

It must be nice to be the Chief of speakers who have fans around the world (I'm in France) and tweak them, a bit like a Mustang or a Harley, lucky! 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustang_flht said:

A bit off topic, but I have a question for @Chief bonehead; are there any Klipsch changes you like? (He may not be able to answer me, or with a mysterious sentence of which he has the secret 😆)

It must be nice to be the Chief of speakers who have fans around the world (I'm in France) and tweak them, a bit like a Mustang or a Harley, lucky! 😎

I would think he likes the changes since he designed it :-)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, capo72 said:

Since @mustang_flht is French and his English is approximate, I interpreted the question as: Are there any DIY mods or tweaks to Klipsch speakers that @Chief bonehead likes. Not as: Does Roy like the changes Roy made.

Yesss  😁 I thank @capo72 (Argggg !!! I can not highlight in blue) for his help, and yes my English is approximate:

Are there any DIY mods or tweaks to Klipsch speakers that @Chief bonehead likes.

that's what I wanted to write 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, capo72 said:

Since @mustang_flht is French and his English is approximate, I interpreted the question as: Are there any DIY mods or tweaks to Klipsch speakers that @Chief bonehead likes. Not as: Does Roy like the changes Roy made.

He obviously liked the rear ported Heresy idea that has been floating around the forum for a few years now... 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

He obviously liked the rear ported Heresy idea that has been floating around the forum for a few years now... 

Are you drawing a line from ideas on the forum to ending up in a Chief Bonehead design?

PWK worked on rear porting since at least the late 1950s.  The Museum has PWK's Port-O-Matic he designed and built for the testing of rear porting.   Roy was mentored by PWK. Roy has over a half-dozen patents in acoustics including  @Chief bonehead, none of which came from an idea floated on a forum.

Not sure what's obvious . . .

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Arkytype said:

Chief bonehead wrote: Constant coverage...chhhhh....oops. Not a klipsch designed horn so not the same. 

So, you've measured an Eliptrac 400? If so, please share your data.

Lee

I think he can pretty much look at it and tell what the DI and the polars are going to be.  Who knows, he and Dave may have talked about it over a beer.  

• Like 1