Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

23 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I appreciate having you on the forum from the French point of view.  I don't trust most of the mainstream press in the US.  How is the average French citizen, including you, reacting to this dramatic and forced change of lifestyle?

Hi @wvu80

To answer your question

I live in an average city of around 16,000 inhabitants. We are a family with 4 children between 11 and 17 years old and both parents, we also have 1 dog, 1 cat and 1 pool with fish. We are fortunate to have an individual house with each his room, so the organization is quite simple from this point of view. We are fortunate to have a large enclosed garden with walls, so it is comfortable for us. Our 4 children are no longer in middle school or high school for the older children. The school is done remotely with the internet, but since there are 12 million students and 4 million students, the education servers do not work well because they are saturated: the computer scientists work to fluidify the net and then we have received weekly connection schedules by class level so that there is a turnover and not everyone connects at the same time.
We went shopping to feed everyone, but calmly for 10 days and without a lot of people around us, without rushing and without stupidly stocking as we see on television.

People stay at home respecting the rules. We can go out for 4 reasons with a travel certificate:
1- commute to work, if teleworking at home impossible,
2- food shopping
3- travel for health reasons,
4- short trip and next to the home, for physical activity only (group prohibited), needs of pets (dogs).

Since today, the Police have been checking passers-by to find out if they have their declaration on their honor signed and if they have a good reason for leaving: if this is not the case, they will impose a fine of € 135 ( about $ 150) to violators who do not respect confinement.

Many people left the big cities and in particular Paris, to go in the family to the countryside, but not always correctly: for example they were very numerous agglutinated with a few centimeters to be separated, not at least 1 meter or more as is the rule on the station platform, but now it's over, because travel is prohibited.

The whole population supports people in hospitals: doctors, nurses, paramedics, staff, ... Schools keep their children so that they can work in the hospital, clinic, pool medical, ... Closed restaurants have delivered free pizzas so they can eat at the hospital, ...

Of course we saw on the TV some idiots who queued up to go and buy tons of pasta or medicine, but like everywhere they are only a few% of the population, here as elsewhere (Italy, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, ...) 99% or even more of the people respect the rules. I imagine that with you it is the same thing, a small group of idiots does a few things and it is them that we show in loop for 24 or 48 hours on TV on a news channel continuously, but it is not necessarily the majority.

Morale is good here

Good luck to you !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

I just got back from one of the local, smaller, supermarkets where I spoke with the produce manager whom I’ve known for 25 years.  He said that they are receiving only 20% of their normal delivery quantity and have not been able to get any chicken or beef for more than a week.  He said it’s being withheld at the warehouse for unknown reasons.   Yes, people are over buying because availability has become so spotty they need to get it when they can.  It’s seems that the food shortage is intentional.

Maynard

I do not believe any shortage is intentional.

I would expect the FDA is diligently inspecting produce, meat and poultry. Perhaps stretched a little thin as well.

Did anyone watch a similar story on 60 minutes not too long ago?

...watch the ending of Contagion, lol!

On 3/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, Sancho Panza said:

The Sky is Falling...

Maybe not, but the Stock Market sure did........    I owe someone an apology; besides China's Xi Jinping (who cheated), who's the guy that predicted the stock market "Melt Down"?

Is this the craziest election year ever, or is it just me?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Trying to look at the bright side of this situation.....

My company is changing gears & giving us some tools so we can work from home.  (nice but I'll miss not getting reimbursed the mileage costs)

We had to cancel this and next weeks meetings with a big question mark going on after that.  "Fortunate" for me, half of mine cancelled (a community college for example) HOWEVER, I have the names of the individuals that wanted to see me so I'm going to try to reach out to them individually via phone...

I sometimes crack a joke about living in the boonies....  I'm about 10 miles outside of town, then once you get here we're on a peninsula, of (guessing) 800 acres, 500 of which is public woods & trails, and we're on 250.  We're surrounded on three sides by the lake.  Only 6 houses out here so we're isolated simply by waking up in the morning.

Watching the news, it's (perhaps justifiable) drama, drama, drama....  when you look at our daily lives here, it's really life as normal since we're already so remote.  We don't personally witness any of the actions going on other than what's on the TV.

Only real change is I might be on the phone more than I would have otherwise been.

And Gilbert, you're right.  He got a thumbs-up from me somewhere in his thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geoff. said:

My employer has urged us not to visit the office so they are not exposed.

But wants us to continue working on the front lines.

I work at a car dealership.  They'll start sending people home when they start falling over otherwise it's all hands on deck.  There has however been no mandatory private business closings around here to my knowledge.

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

wasfox run from Londonstan with paul bin ryanbulag in charge just doesn't care for the actual news that could help us. I was surprised that he was cut off.

Maybe we will hear more...yes it is, was weirdish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

wasfox run from Londonstan with paul bin ryanbulag in charge just doesn't care for the actual news that could help us. I was surprised that he was cut off.

Yes she left him talking to himself...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg_M said:

Chances of getting Corona.

Just saw a news headline that the amount of people who have been infected world wide has just soared to 200,000.

The amount of people who have died. world wide,  is 8,000.

There are currently 7,800,000,000 in the world. In case I put not enough zeros in, lets round it off to 8,000,000,000 (8 billion).

If you divide 8 billion by 8 thousand that is one in one million.

As long as I'm not "the one."

• Thanks 1

Well, I don't really know .... I live in Europe with about 350 million people. Europe is very densely populated and therefore the risk of infection is very high. Nevertheless, we live with the restrictions set by the European government and we are very considerate of each other. People are all aware of the problem and act accordingly with caution. Hospitals and health care systems are prepared, as well as the whole of society, to be even more restrictive. Of course, everyone hopes, just as you do, that there will be good vaccines and few deaths as soon as possible. We are simply trying to live a very 'normal' life. Hope is given to the number of those who were infected and can now go home because they are healthy. So please don't worry too much. You can do it ...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

In the shyt hole city of Laredo, TX where Mexico's in-your-face "Patron System" flourishes and residents must be registered under a particular party to vote in local elections.....  the City Council voted to enact a City Wide Lock-Down that goes into effect tonight, 12:01am. There is 1 official Wuhan Virus case confirmed and then there's someone they are referring to as "Citizen X" who gave it to that 1 poor bastard.

https://www.kgns.tv/content/news/Emergency-City-Council-meeting--568887491.html

• Like 1