Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Batchelors, gotta love em....cheap gas and cooler weather...get it while you can. No control over it anyway.Lot of loose marbles rolling around effecting the market which, typically rebounds. Not like we did not need a reset before any Perceived October crash by prophets. Hope
  • no one gets hurt but, if you play the market, there are always opportunities. Finding them requires some attention, and logic.
  • Wisdom should reckon on the unforeseen...a paradox in terms.

Edit: Opp. to lose money?

Edited by billybob
  • Like 5

Beautiful cool weather here in N. Indiana...finally getting some work done outside that had to wait through the heat and humidity.  

On a coffee note....I purchased an Aeropress a couple of weeks ago, and so far, I am impressed.  Very simple to use and makes some pretty kicka$$ espresso.  Have used it with both my Bali Blue and Malabar coffees and it's been damn good.

http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440508681&sr=8-1&keywords=aero+press

• Like 9

Mornin' all. Great day yesterday. Took my lady and Baxter for a day trip to Mt Evans. The drive to the summit is quite an experience. Pretty narrow with dozens (it seems) switchbacks. Highest paved road in North America, per the Forest Service. Great views, mountain flowers and herds of mountain goats (with herds of idiots getting way too close with cameras). If any of you (Chuck?) are dedicated cyclists who can bike your way up a 14K + foot mountain, you will have company. (Not me).

Have a great day and cheers to all.

Chuck

• Like 8

Morning

back to school so traffic is crazy again

gave the 3.1 setup a beating last night watching Captain America : Winter Soldier...need to find some in ceiling rear surrounds to match with the RF-3's

know I sound like a broken record....I'm just trying to convince myself that I really do need to just sell off the rest of my gear....what is setup now in the Living Room will be used 95% of the time....the rest will rarely get turned on....just need to sell it all off so someone can enjoy it.

• Like 8

Morning Gang

70 and dam nice, heading to 90+.

I see the "Commute" bothers a few, as it should, Finely making retirement, my Commute consists of 53 steps for Coffee then the Cave.

Add 100 steps today being trash day.

And Ya-All know what day it is.....

post-57941-0-00760000-1440512294_thumb.p

• Like 9

You said you were liquidating your assets.  That is all.  What you meant was shifting your asset allocation.

Indeed different.  While you may be in a "no panic" mood at my age I don't have that luxury and my take on the current global economic situation is less than optimistic. 

As I said I have no time to wait for recovery.  For those who do, hold fast. 

As for me and my house we are assuming the next few years may be less than growth years and could make the last "great recession" look pretty good.

Dave

Been speaking to my advisor everyday for the last five straight. I don't know your age Mallette but I am nearing 63 and I ask my broker "am I a long or short term investor" speaking on recovery in down markets. Assuming I'm not dying before this post he considers me a long term investor with time still on my side. Advisor sales speak?, who knows but even with zero debt I am cognoscent of every up and down, particularly these sharp downs.

At least a good opening today up nearly 400. Hold on tight!

• Like 7

Beautiful cool weather here in N. Indiana...finally getting some work done outside that had to wait through the heat and humidity.  

On a coffee note....I purchased an Aeropress a couple of weeks ago, and so far, I am impressed.  Very simple to use and makes some pretty kicka$$ espresso.  Have used it with both my Bali Blue and Malabar coffees and it's been damn good.

http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440508681&sr=8-1&keywords=aero+press

Sionce I started using a simple cold water extraction I have not used my Aeropress. I make a 24 hour extraction same amount of regular grind coffee that I used to use in the Aeropress (though I used a finer grind there) and I soak in cold filtered water. I make tomorrows coffee as I heat up todays. The cold extraction makes a very smooth full bodied cup of coffee. Simple to do.

• Like 6

Hello and good morning my friends........... :emotion-44:  :emotion-44: :emotion-44:  

On my THIRD MUG of Melitta medium ground Columbian roast in the Dunkin Donut's mug you have seen in photos..

Looks like everyone is enjoying the morning, and we have also, along with breakfast out on the deck like it was the weekend :emotion-21:   But this will be a  bit of a newsy post.

News #1 Pizzing off the neighbor (note, NOT plural) for REAL !   Last night around 10pm. I was taking out my trash and recyclables etc.  I noted the doctor (my neighbor to our south yard) was coming round the corner, and when he spotted me, hit the brakes HARD to stop and catch me...

His window when down and he started off with a big smile and welcomed us back home from our  trip, then asked how it all went etc. so, it was pleasant..   Then he said he wanted to talk about another topic.....  "Its about the MUSIC"   :ohmy:    he said....   Thinking to myself, OH BOY, here it comes......!  :blush:

His complaint started with, "Don't get me wrong, we LOVE your music, but on Sunday mornings".....(this is when he and his wife are in the hot tub on their deck) "It is pretty loud, and when I get a call on the cell and have to leave my deck and go IN the house and CLOSE the slider so I can hear the call, it can be a bit of a nuisance....it also doesn't let us listen to our own music"...  (oooh, that was the clincher!)  

Well, I understood this, and thought a number of times that it was a bit over the top........fine for my other neighbor Pat who insists on it being loud and clear, but not for everyone I guess.   So, he reached out to shake my hand (which as NEVER happened) and all is fine.   I have been running the audio at a much lower level.   Sent Pat an email to let her know that I had been spoken to about it and hoped she could still hear it at the lower level...    So, that is the neighbor PIZZED story...   end of the great loudness era  :dry:

News #2.......my dishwasher has NOT been emptying fully, and there is something blocking the output side of the pump.   I can jog the door handle to make it start and stop and most of the time, it will free up the line and water flows freely.   This morning, I pulled it out from under the cabinet for the FIRST time to have a look.   Disconnected the hose from the drain under the sink, ran a rinse cycle, emptied into a bucket, ALL is clear there, nothing in the hose and nothing in the sink drain pipe either, ALL CLEAR.

There must be a valve in the system at the pump that is sticking, as the same motor simply reverses direction from washing to discharging...  Will check the Whirlpool forums and see if this is a common and fixable problem.  

PLUMBING !!!   Then, I can't move the unit out that far because the original builders of the house did not allow much AC cable to the junction box .....sigh......... :huh2:  

Ok, end of rant on my last day of vacation...

.........Gary

• Like 8

Afternoon gang...

Kinda slow at the shop this week. Just one big job on the book later this week.

Yesterday me and wife closed shop about 2:00.... we took that 2nd trans back to the place that sold it to us. They gave me a full refund....... just glad to be done with it...

My commute to the shop......it's 11 miles from the house....passing farms and cornfields and sipping coffee on the way......it's a tough drive, but somehow me and the wife do it....lol lol

Years ago I took a job at a Honda dealer down in the DC area, they through some big money at me....at the time.....they wanted me to run the shop.....it wasn't to far from the house I was living at the time. But it took me over 2 1/2 hours to get there and the same to get back home. I lasted three days there.....I told them I was going back to the other dealer I had left. They said....we can pay ya more....no thanks....back to the other dealer I went.....

Ok guys have a good day....check in later...

MKP :-)

• Like 8

Afternoon

My commute isn't all that bad....bad day it's an hour....good day it's maybe 30min

I worked from home for about 4 years up until last December. Now into the office everyday....kinda like being back in the office with people interacting.

Today has consisted of some AML training...a few Joint Application Design Sessions with 3 other applications....and will end a Dog and Pony show known in Corp. America as a Town Hall Meeting....blah

One of our newer neighbors just text me (Newly married couple...maybe 25ish) saying he heard my wife saying something about me getting rid of stuff....asked about the HT

Have no idea on my pricing...so let me know if you guys feel I'm high or low....

RF-3ii's (mint) - $300

RC-3ii (mint) - $175

RB5's (minor water damage to bottom of speaker and some dents in cones...still sound great) - $125

Stands for RB5's - Free

KSW-15 - $250

Yamaha RX-V1200 - $100

Acer 3D HD Projector (only about 350 hours on a 5000 hour lamp) - $250

92" Screen - Free

all Monster 14g Plenum Speaker Cable with Banana plugs (about 200' of it) - Free

50' HDMI cable - Free

so $1200 for basically a plug and play HD 5.1 HT

• Like 7

Afternoon friends...

Interesting story there MKP, that commute would kill after a week, see you made it a few days at least to find out ;)

Good luck Dave with the sell off...

OK, my dishwasher story.....   My thoughts about something floating around in the output side of the pump to the sink drain turned out to be a good guess!   I managed the get a good look at all the possible parts around the pump and motor.   Then, plugged my model number into Google, and BANG!, a great site popped up with parts for my model and possible reason why they don't work.

What could be better?   So, I noted a nylon tube which the output hose was connected to on my unit, saw it in the parts listing online as a 'check valve'...   I figured that was it, as I could get water to dump into the bucket I setup, AND, could here all kinds of 'back splash' going on at the same time in the washer itself.   So, a partial blockage.

I removed the tube with the check valve in it.  SURE ENOUGH!, there was a piece of plastic toggling around up inside the tube!  I removed it, and it looked like one of the fingers from a spaghetti server !!   Cleaned out some food particles and what looked like a piece of string/rope as well.  I blew through it, and it would block me from sucking air, so I knew it was good...

ALSO, vacuumed UNDER the counter space floor, THAT was fun, broken glass shards, lots of dust, all cleaned up.  THEN, I managed to make some fixes to the way it was mounted to the counter top underside.  For the first time, it is NOT loose (installers only used ONE screw!) and also fixed the top rack which was messed up with the limiter on one of the tracks keeping me from pulling it all the way out.

Only took a little over 9 years in this home to finally get that corrected........SHEESH.   Gave the whole thing a test run and a wash cycle, MAN, that thing dumps water now!!!

Went out and mowed my front lawn afterward in the heat the humidity to celebrate, now in cooling off.

Sorry for the long posts, but I know some like to write stories, be it auto, BBQ or plumbing.

more later...

.........Gary .....and thanks for reading....

• Like 8

You commuters are lightweights :D , B-4 being injured I left York Pa. went through / around Baltimore, then to downtown DC 175 miles round trip daily,  Took approx 2hours both directions. Total of 4 hours a day commuting.................did the math once and it came out to around  2 months in the car commuting each year.  my routine for 7.5 years

I was always happy to see gas $$ drop at that time

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 5