Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

5 hours ago, Randyh  said:

here is a video - and  articles about Wet Markets in Asia -China and what is believed to be the source of the original SARS and Covid19 -----the -2  outbreaks that have now infected the entire planet for the past 20- years , the latest being , an evolution of the original SARS outbreak  , but much worse , the hygiene , and the food habits of the Asians to eat  live-wild -dead -cooked- animals of all kinds must stop -

https://www.sciencealert.com/coronavirus-discovery-in-pangolins-shows-why-wildlife-markets-need-better-regulations

https://www.peta.org/blog/coronavirus-covid-19-what-is-a-wet-market/

I tried to watch '60 Minutes' Australia but the dubbed in ominous music makes it seem like a tabloid show. 

4 hours ago, ILI said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblackmon/bizarre-american-foods-that-shouldnt-exist

Stop being xenophobic. 

Americans eat squirrel and possum meat. 

You are from Germany so do not know this.  Americans do not eat squirrel and possum, 'Mericans eat squirrel and possum.  Need to drop the "A".  I am joking but this is a very large country and very different depending where you are.  Imagine if all or Europe were all one country, we would blame Germany for Greece's banking corruption.  🤕

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Randyh said:

here is a video - and  articles about Wet Markets in Asia -China and what is believed to be the source of the original SARS and Covid19 -----the -2  outbreaks that have now infected the entire planet for the past 20- years , the latest being , an evolution of the original SARS outbreak  , but much worse , the hygiene , and the food habits of the Asians to eat  live-wild -dead -cooked- animals of all kinds must stop -

https://www.sciencealert.com/coronavirus-discovery-in-pangolins-shows-why-wildlife-markets-need-better-regulations

https://www.peta.org/blog/coronavirus-covid-19-what-is-a-wet-market/

As the sciencealert link states, the pangolins can't be blamed for the outbreak. They don't carry the same corona virus (of which there are many). And from peta, of course they would say that. They've found corona viruses in some bats as well, and the virus seems to have been passed to humans without eating them. Again, not the Covid-19 virus.

5 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Can't pile people into NY subways and such if anything is infectious without thinking it is going to go rampant.  People living and traveling within inches of each other are going to share something.  Transfer needed to stop early on not 2 months after we suspected it might be a problem.

Here there's a big concern that the if virus gets into the homeless population, it could spread very quickly, and since many of those unfortunates aren't in good health in the first place, the fatality rate could be much higher than it is in the rest of the city's population.  Vancouver's notorious Lower East Side is the province of BC's prime example, but most cities in the province have some homeless people living in them.  To prevent this from happening in Victoria, several parks and sports grounds have been opened up for camping, and food banks are requesting physical distancing.  Even in regular grocery stores, there are tapes on the floor indicating how far apart you should stand while lining up to pay for your food.

Some other steps are being taken as well, and so far, so good, with no reports of any homeless people sick with COVID-19 here in Victoria.

BTW, it's now called "physical distancing", and not "social distancing", since we want to be socially closer, if possible, even if it's by phone, FaceTime, or email.

941747643_Screenshot_2020-03-29Coronavirus-NewsDieaktuellenZahlen-InfizierteundTote.png.c1f6111e0549818bcc85f3fee4227336.png

Infizierte = infected / Todesfälle = death / Genesen = recovered  / Weltweit = World wide

The number of recoveries is constantly increasing, but is not yet in proportion to the number of new infections. But shows a trend reversal

Lübeck - Researchers Linlin Zhang and Rolf Hilgenfeld from the University of Lübeck have achieved a real breakthrough. They were able to decipher an enzyme that is crucial for the proliferation of the novel coronavirus. The researchers also found an inhalable inhibitor that acts against the newly decoded main protease of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

This specifically concerns the viral main protease Mpro, without which the coronavirus cannot copy its genetic material (RNA) from the host cell and thus reproduce. Closer investigation of the enzyme structure might now help in combating the virus. An inhibitor developed against related coronaviruses has already been effectively tested in mice and cell cultures.
Coronavirus: Research is in full swing - first successes with old inhibitor

The main protease is the decisive factor in fighting the virus, as it cannot reproduce without it. The discovery of the two researchers from Lübeck, Zhang and Hilgenfeld, therefore opens up a new approach for antiviral agents against the novel coronavirus.

The worryingly continuously increasing case numbers* of Covid-19 are putting pressure on researchers worldwide. A suitable vaccine is currently being searched for at breakneck speed - but also for antiviral agents that could contain and thus halt the spread of the pathogen in the body.

Possible successes already seem to be emerging. An inhibitor that was developed by Hilgenfeld and his team a few years ago against the pathogen MERS-CoV and other related corona viruses is also believed to have proved effective against SARS-CoV-2. In the mice, the inhibitor accumulated in the lungs and kidneys as hoped for - these organs are the organs most affected by Covid-19.

Coronavirus: Tests with lung cultures successful - Too late for current pandemic?

But the experiments with human lung cell cultures also worked. In already infected lung cells, the new inhibitor blocked the proliferation of the virus, thus preventing the infection from progressing. According to the researchers, the inhalable inhibitor of the main protease opens up an approach for new drugs against the rampant coronavirus. In addition, the researchers found that the inhibitors were most likely not toxic.

However, the developments will probably come too late to counteract the current pandemic. "It will certainly take several years before our active ingredient is developed into an anti-coronavirus drug," Hilgenfeld said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

South Korea and Taiwan have each done an excellent job on this.  Nobody is perfect, but they were prepared.  In engineering there is the $1 / $10 / $100 Rule regarding changes at concept phase, design phase and construction phase.  $1B spent before the fact can save hundreds of billions after the fact. 

Subtitled but great video.

As I mentioned NYC knew what would be needed for a pandemic and chose not to implement the plan. This was largely due to expense. There is no argument with your position that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. But the rationale used in deciding ‘not’ to be proactive was that with proper ‘watchdogging’ that such pandemics could be avoided and that this was the best option as nobody would suffer and the expenses would not be necessary. But in this instance the ‘watchdog’ country where the virus originate failed to keep the genie in the bottle..... and the watchdog ‘agency’ who was the second level of alarm also failed. 

So what to do in the future? Does every country have to sustain pandemic level medical supplies and the staff required to use them at the ready? Do we enact policies to shut down populations with any level of warning? Clearly the world cannot rely on every country to be capable and/or honest in managing infectious diseases. With Ebola the world understood the limits of where it began and infused what was needed to control it. We cannot do that with China, India, Russia and so forth. 

So America should become like Taiwan and South Korea and be better prepared/reactive. Dunno how we can afford to be the world’s police force, it’s 911 disaster response, the cure for global warming, etc AND be postured to meet pandemic scale diseases. That is a lot of really expensive hats to wear.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I don't believe that he is. 

Also, as, supposed, civilized humans, where do we draw a line?

Yes, that level of cruelty seems extreme, but picking out a lobster so it can be boiled to death and have its limbs ripped off must seem just as bad to the lobster.  Eating any kind of brains has been proven to be very dangerous, as discovered by the former headhunters in Papua New Guinea.  Although headhunting is a thing of the past, consuming the brains of a deceased person as part of a funeral was considered to be a respectful tradition, until many people who practiced this came down with prion-caused disease, which was passed on when they died and their brains were consumed at their funerals.

The disease was kuru, which is a form of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy. Those three words should creep you right out.  The first one is clear.  The second one means sponge-like in its form, with many voids where there used to be healthy tissue.  The third word means brain death.  

Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease is a variation of this, and Bovine Encephalopathy (mad cow disease) is also related to it.  The cows were being fed sheep carcasses, as well as other stuff that cows would never normally eat, in order to save on the cost of feed.  This was a very bad idea, and the video that I saw of a staggering cow whose brain was rotting away was pretty sad.

In addition to the infectious agents we're familiar with, bacteria and viruses, there are now prions, which have been around for a long time, but were discovered relatively recently.  They are simple things, misfolded proteins.  The danger is that they cause other nearby proteins in the body to also become misfolded and useless.  This nearly always happens in the brain, and is nearly always fatal.

So don't eat brains!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Islander said:

So don't eat brains!

A lot of people won't eat the insides, Ex: liver, heart, etc...

When I was a kid, we raised and processed our own beef and pork. On pig day (it was always real cold and I hated it), there was a medical doctor who would catch jars of pig blood to make blood (black) pudding. None for me, thanks, but I do like my steak with some red still in it.

I am really thinking of getting back into raising and processing my own foods again. It's very clean, I know what they were fed and I get to keep all of the select cuts.  

• Like 3

Just now, CECAA850 said:

I thought hogshead was made mostly from cheek and jaw muscles?

Hog jowls...maybe so but not sure.

Not going to try it myself.

Old-timers do make their own version and it is brains.

To each his own but not me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Hog jowls...maybe so but not sure.

Not going to try it myself.

Old-timers do make their own version and it is brains.

To each his own but not me.

Reminds of an old kid joke - “ever had any brains - no. I didn’t think so —

• Like 2

The Korean medical guy mentioned when you are quarantined you download an app on your cell phone that tracks your location. You must transmit your symptoms twice a day.  If you violate your location they call the cops. I'm glad I don't own a cell phone.

JJK

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The Korean medical guy mentioned

He said a lot. I like how he was passing along what he knows based on science. The 20 to 30 year old who are still not doing any distancing will, IMHO, continue the problems. With so many people not holding themselves to a higher level of ethics and being a good steward to others, they need to be chained lol. If diagnosed as infected, I would have no problem wearing an ankle monitor, again. 

• Like 1

In Belgium, the government is using cellphone data of all providers anonymously to learn if the population is respecting lockdown. 

Long-distance movement (+50km) is down with 95%, which means lockdown communication is efficient. 

• Like 1