Technical/Restorations

Talk about restoring older speakers and other technical/electronic information here.

24298 topics in this forum

• 1 reply
    • 1.1k views
    • 1 reply
  1. Work In Progress

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  2. AU Lab eq

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  3. KSW-12 Driver Replacement

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  4. lambs wool grill fabric

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  5. Low volume Heritage

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  6. Rc62 ii

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  • Recent Posts

• Up on the roof...in the shade:    
    • https://www.discogs.com/release/10466219-Yoko-Kanno-Hajime-Mizoguchi-The-Vision-Of-Escaflowne-Lovers-Only  
    • Still unobtanium for me... 
    • Dave- I took a look at your tri-amping posts....Wow, that kinda blew my mind. Wait, not kinda, nah, it blew my mind.    That is enough research to start your own company producing a line of your own speakers.   Myself, I'm defaulting to adding Solid State amplification to my low end by finding some self-powered SVS subwoofers and call it a day since the rest of the amplification is done via my Decware tube amp. I figure the tube amplification to the Klipsch LaScala woofer dies out at 50htz and will be lost and unheard when the SS subs are employed.    Call me lazy but it is a LOT easier and exponentially cheaper. I guess if you wanted to "improve this specific setup" you could buy brand-new drivers for the squawker and mid-horn from Crites? I'm open to suggestions here. I'm just ignorant on where the line is for diminishing returns. That is, just how much better will the squawker and mid-horn sound with new drivers?   At the moment my biggest challenge is to find the right finish for the birch plywood that doesn't blotch or darken the wood too much. Also, I'm considering building a speaker grill to cover the squawker and mid horn but can't seem to find the right kind of birch moulding that is flat (not half-round) for the frame.    I'm searching for iron-on birch banding with adhesive back to cover all the front-facing 7-ply birch plywood to give it a solid wood look.   -b
    • https://www.discogs.com/release/1721210-Various-Ghetto-Blaster  
    • These are sold now...........thanks, Joe
    • I have the RC-6411 as the center channel, the Forte IVs sound great after I recalibrated the system…really sounds good as two channel with music, YouTube and Apple TV  Music..
    • Like with the prior sale of my La Scala II speakers in March 2022 to a very active Forum member (see prior Garage Sale listing under my username), I have decided to sell my August 2022 Cornwall IV speakers in American Walnut.  Unlike the prior decision to sell the La Scala IIs because of an upcoming move during that time, the decision to sell the Cornwall IVs is the result of the speakers not really "fitting" the new smaller listening space as well as a diminishing WAF. With this sale and the associated sale of my ModWright and First Watt electronics (see my other listings here in the Garage Sale section), I am stepping away from this hobby for a while.  The spouse and I are on completely different pages when it comes to music and the quality of its reproduction.  Hence, I need to move these along to someone who can enjoy them.   I purchased these Cornwall IVs as brand new, factory sealed, B-stock from a dealer in Wisconsin.  I worked with the dealer to make sure the pair I was purchasing had the absolute minimum of factors which resulted in the B stock categorization.  As I am something of a perfectionist and completely OCD when it comes to how I care for my stuff (especially my cars and stereo equipment), I went over each of these speakers with a fine tooth comb, and I truly can't find the reason why they were characterized as B-stock unless it is because of the walnut veneer grain not being book-matched between speakers.  There are absolutely no blemishes, scratches, damaged veneer, or anything else I can find.  These speakers have not been moved or exposed to direct sunlight since they were unboxed and placed in their respective locations.  To provide further protection, I had a glass company cut and polish tempered glass panels with pads to place on top of each speaker for further protection.   Price is $4,500 including the $250 protective glass tops.  These speakers have very few hours (~100 hours) and have been used only with quality electronics (Luxman L-550 II Integrated (20 WPC, Class A), Luxman D-03 CD, and HiFi Rose Streamer) and were never played loud or abused in any fashion.  Most would probably say these haven't even been broken in yet.  They reside in a smoke-, child-, and pet-free home and were always used only by me.   Boxes are in like-new condition and all paperwork received with the speakers conveys with the purchase.   These will require pickup from my home outside Knoxville, Tennessee.  I will leave these unboxed and set up so the potential purchaser can confirm proper operation prior to finalizing the sale. I will gladly help with very careful packing and loading for transport.  I have no interest in shipping these due to the potential for damage or loss during transit. Depending on the circumstances, I may be willing to pack and load these in my truck and meet you at a reasonable distance from my home if interested.   Please feel free to message me with any questions and thank you for your interest.        
    • Happy Memorial day weekend: