The Klipsch Audio Community
Brac

What I Got Today!

4 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

FINISHED!

anyone got info for a  dustcap and upgraded grill cloth?

20190429_235818.jpg

Look great! Did you try using a vacuum cleaner to gently pull out the dent or duct tape?

• Like 3

Picking them up tomorrow morning. KP-201's with one little ding and stands. Never had a set before and this looks like a good one to get. Capacitors on order and maybe a new MAHL tweeter too. Recap for sure though and I have heard so much about these I could not say no. 

KP-201.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Picking them up tomorrow morning. KP-201's with one little ding and stands. Never had a set before and this looks like a good one to get. Capacitors on order and maybe a new MAHL tweeter too. Recap for sure though and I have heard so much about these I could not say no. 

KP-201.jpg

I had a pair of those in that finish, albeit with factory installed eyelets for hanging. great speakers, basically H2's with a tweeter protection diode.

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I had a pair of those in that finish, albeit with factory installed eyelets for hanging. great speakers, basically H2's with a tweeter protection diode.

I am considering fixing these up with new tweeters but painting them black. For the first time I think with these it will be needed as that all black look is nice on this set. How did yours sound?

26 minutes ago, Dave A said:

How did yours sound?

Like heresy ii's :P

I never felt the need to change anything on them, and had them up on ikea lack tables, paired with a sub.

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Like heresy ii's :P

I never felt the need to change anything on them, and had them up on ikea lack tables, paired with a sub.

You mean you never recapped them? They will sound better if you do I can assure you. All the old mylar and oil can capacitors I have measured are at the very least high ESR and capacitance normally has drifted too.

37 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I am considering fixing these up with new tweeters but painting them black. For the first time I think with these it will be needed as that all black look is nice on this set. How did yours sound?

I replaced the tweeter diaphragms with Bob's Titaniums and it was in your face noticeable on KP250's 

39 minutes ago, Dave A said:

As a fan of that speaker I ask that you don't paint them black and leave them as is. But they are yours, do as you please 😀 

I just really like the industrial look with the unfinished cab and black metal grill. Painting the cabs black would make them far less unique. Nice score!

Just now, Pete H said:

I replaced the tweeter diaphragms with Bob's Titaniums and it was in your face noticeable on KP250's 

Yup but I prefer those ones that use the DE10 driver:wink:

1 minute ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

As a fan of that speaker I ask that you don't paint them black and leave them as is. But they are yours, do as you please 😀 

I just really like the industrial look with the unfinished cab and black metal grill. Painting the cabs black would make them far less unique. Nice score!

OK you do know I am talking about just painting my MAHL tweeter lens and not the whole thing? No way would I cover that wood with stuff.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Yup but I prefer those ones that use the DE10 driver:wink:

I'm not familiar at all with that driver, so as not to sound ignorant, is that a direct replacement driver for the K-79?  

32 minutes ago, Dave A said:

You mean you never recapped them? They will sound better if you do I can assure you. All the old mylar and oil can capacitors I have measured are at the very least high ESR and capacitance normally has drifted too.

The KP-201's are from the early 2000's, so no I didn't recap them. I do however, have different crossovers in my '88 La Scalas.

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

All the old mylar and oil can capacitors I have measured are at the very least high ESR and capacitance normally has drifted too.

If only it were that simple. I have tested some high ESR caps that still sounded mighty sweet. Paul was very good at what he did and those old oil can caps did something almost magical for the speakers where they were employed. Especially the A and AA networks it seemed. Yeah, I've replaced several of them over the years with newer cap technologies like Sonicap, but believe it or not something was lost in those changes.

UPS has done it again, my anticipated bnib MAC6700 arrived like this :

IMG-4935.JPG

• Sad 3

=== that is sad, my condolences. Was it shipped in the OE Mac shipping carton - ?

12 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== that is sad, my condolences. Was it shipped in the OE Mac shipping carton - ?

I would think so as it was BNIB.