The Klipsch Audio Community

Ask the Historian

Got a Klipsch history question for historian Jim Hunter? Ask here! 

269 topics in this forum

1. Welcome!

• 16 replies
    • 60 replies
    • 39 replies
    • 36 replies
  2. Cornwall ID Help 1 2

• 35 replies
    • 31 replies
  3. Cornwall mfg year? 1 2

• 30 replies
    • 29 replies
    • 29 replies
  4. just wondering? 1 2

• 29 replies
    • 28 replies
  5. Khorn finish. 1 2

• 26 replies
  6. LaScala Manufacture date 1 2

• 26 replies
    • 25 replies
    • 25 replies
    • 25 replies
    • 24 replies
    • 24 replies
    • 24 replies
  7. why baltic birtch? 1 2

• 22 replies
  8. PWK Khorn signatures 1 2

• 22 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 20 replies
  9. La Scala crossover 1 2

• 20 replies
  • Recent Posts

• Quinine is in Schweppes. Now before we all start drinking large quantities of I because it *might* help fight covid-19, be warned: quinine is known to interact with other (live saving) medication.  So please think twice!  https://www.cardiosmart.org/Healthwise/d003/66/d00366   https://fever-tree.com/en_US/article/quinine-and-coronavirus     Who should avoid quinine? If you’ve had a bad reaction to tonic water or quinine in the past, you should not try it again. You may also be advised against taking quinine or drinking tonic water if you: have an abnormal heart rhythm, especially a prolonged QT interval have low blood sugar (because quinine can cause your blood sugar to drop) are pregnant have kidney or liver disease are taking medications, such as blood thinners, antidepressants, antibiotics, antacids, and statins (these medications may not preclude you from taking quinine or drinking tonic water, but you should tell your doctor about these and any other medications you take if you’re prescribed quinine)  
    • ... time to upgrade your editing skills while sitting this through? Two years ago I migrated from Photoshop to Affinity Photo myself, which I'm currently enjoying a lot. Affinity is getting better all the time...   
    • This seems to be the common experience for DACs of the past 10 years. The SQ and user appreciation is determined not so much by the DAC chip and the apparatus it is mounted in, but rather the peripherals: the app, the cables, the psu, the network stability, amp and speakers, etc. Don't be fooled by marketing babble and expensive 'words'. 
    • I'm curious what a "bass type thump" is.  Perhaps you'd be so kind as to describe it a little more particularly.
    • get an active crossover , and play with the settings -----a lot simpler than a passive crossover -
    • Yeah I was hoping it would work as well. Oh well that’s how it goes sometimes. The plans even suggest building a cardboard mock up, to check for “fit”. Obviously I skipped this step. The T18 could work as an end table, probably too small for a coffee table? The one I built was only a 12” wide single 8”, though. I forget the max width on the T18. 
    • Ya'll just let me know when I am pushing it . I've been described by friends parents as doing so .
    • I think Audiogate 4 can do this. Explained all the way down this page: https://www.korg.com/nl/products/audio/audiogate4/ A full complement of editing functionality, with support for editing in the DSD domain In the past, editing data that was recorded in DSD format required extremely expensive pro audio equipment, and this acted as a significant impediment to DSD recording. AudioGate is able to carry out all of the basic editing operations needed for a stereo recorder --- splitting and joining songs, fade processing, volume adjustments, L/R balance adjustments, normalization, cutting DC components, editing marks --- all while staying within the domain of each supported format, including 1-bit DSD. The DSD editing engine within AudioGate rivals those of professional DSD workstations. Since all DSD-based editing calculations are done while maintaining the sample rate, all the way up to 64 times (2.8224 MHz) or 128 times (5.6448 MHz), you don't need to worry about audio quality being impaired by the decimation filter that accompanies PCM conversion. "Direct output mode" allows unnecessary recalculations to be automatically bypassed, ensuring that the purity of the original audio source is completely retained in the output file. A rich array of editing functionality for metadata such as song title, artist name, and attached graphics etc. is also a benefit provided by AudioGate.
    • Knocked out a 5 hour walk last week . My feet suffered , I wore sneakers . Today the SC Governor announced additional closures , sporting goods  were one of them . I had no idea the sporting goods stores were still open . So I took a chance and and did a curbside pickup on these from Dick's .   
    • Maybe it is the times. I have been spending a lot more time on the computer listening with headphones through the red. Found a deal on the Meze 99 Classics and just pulled the trigger. This should be interesting.