Technical/Restorations

Talk about restoring older speakers and other technical/electronic information here.

24287 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 3 replies
  1. oil for heritage

• 4 replies
    • 2 replies
  2. Cornwall Tweeter Question

• 6 replies
    • 7 replies
  3. K-Horns on E-Bay

• 0 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 5 replies
  4. Is it safe to...

• 3 replies
    • 12 replies
  5. Going Banannas

• 3 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 6 replies
  6. AA Xovers

• 1 reply
    • 17 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 8 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 36 replies
    • 1k views
    • 7 replies
  • Recent Posts

• An album by a black woman singing a song about black women.    
    • @Peter P.  As per your request, I am responding with my decision.   I thought long and hard about what you guys said above.  I came to realize that without the ability to at least control the subwoofer, I would likely not be happy with it.  The SVS really made me think about the value of the control and not having to climb behind my TV to adjust what little was adjustable on the Klipsch and other inexpensive subwoofers.  It also made me think about the fact that I hadn't updated any of my audio equipment in 20+ years and it was probably time to do that.  The final event that pushed me over the edge was the airing of the Billy Joel the 100th on the 14th.  I was still without a decent sound system to enjoy it.   So, not being a person who likes to buy used stuff in unknown condition without a warranty or support, and in consideration of all of your comments and a great video by the Obsessed Garage: SVS Subwoofers: Which Entry-Level Sub? (PB-1000 vs PB-2000 & SB-1000 vs SB-2000) - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZTMv3cO6tQ). I decided on the SVS PB-1000.  I have received it and set it up and I needed to talk to their support on an issue with that.  I was very impressed by the sales person and then the support person who was available to help me at 7:45pm the night the subwoofer showed up.   I now have a new dilemma.  My current regular speakers are again 20+ year old tiny Optimus Bookshelf speakers from Radio Shack.  Oddly enough, they are not terrible, but, obviously not anything close to the current state of the art.  Due to space considerations, I was going to try to replace them with more up-to-date Bookshelf speakers and I spent a LOT of time researching them, including the ones suggested by the video above (PSB Alpha P5) and then I noticed that there were Tower speakers that came in at a similar cost to some of the better Bookshelf speakers.  I originally had not considered those due to space constraints.  My TV is in a corner and there isn't much room on either side, particularly on the left side which would overhang the fireplace.  However, in looking at the prices and reviews, it seemed like there were only 2-3 speakers that were well reviewed, priced right, and were physically appealing to me.   Polk Audio XT70 or XT60 Sony SSCS3 Klipsch (several, but they are so large I'm not sure they would work)   I currently have a Pioneer VSX-D509S AV Receiver and I am not planning to replace that. I have also been looking at Bookshelf speakers (around $500/pair), but that is a really long list and I am wondering if I should consider Powered or only passive.  The reason I have been thinking powered is for the same reason I picked the SVS Subwoofer and that is the ability to tune them if needed. Some I have considered: Passive ------- SVS Prime Bookshelf PSB Alpha P5 Polk Audio T15 Active ------ Kali Audio MM6 Kali Audio LP6v2 (discontinued ?) Audiodngine A5+ PreSonus Eris E5 BT   Update (I started that text 2 weeks ago) I purchased the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf speakers due to them having great reviews, but not being expensive. I also selected them due to the fact that the Tweeter, Woofer, and Base Port are all inline and the Dome Tweeter appears to be relatively omni directional. I also ordered a pair of the Polk Audio XT70 Towers in case the Elac's didn't do the job. I do like the the Elacs, but after visiting the Best Buy Magnolia store and listening to a pair of Martin Logan Shelf Speakers that were about $800/each, so, unfortunately I know how high the bar can be. But, like I said originally, I am not an audiophile, but I can tell the difference, I just don't want to invest the amount needed to get to that level. I am currently looking at the following reviewers on Youtube to try to get a better education of what matters, and what I can possibly do for the best bang for the buck: Obsessed Garage Cheap Audio Man Joe N Tell Erin's audio corner Hopefully all of the above can help another noob like me. Thanks again for all your help
    • I can't figure out how the Beatles "Blackbird" got on there. It's excellent, but I wouldn't consider it a country song.
    • He was too broken hearted in selling, to the give the cost or contact info!
    • In the end, sadly these are not even "real" underground Jubs.  A lot of hype for a DIY clone job and a hodge podge of unofficial and unsupported parts.  Plus, the old cabinet design.   Outrageous marketing and salesmanship...........a ripoff artist.    
    • I live in the third rental apartment and have never used a dishwasher. I want to have my own apartment and buy it too!
    • Been watching BOC vids for the past few weeks so I had to check what I had..                
    • Just take it slow. Worry more for your hearing. 😉