Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Hi Gang!

I have been working a lot this week, trying to put a little back for Hope.

It has been an emotional rollercoaster this week.

Found out just a couple of days ago that Dad has a tumor in his kidney. Dad has been urinating blood for better than a month so he got checked out. Dad has had prostate Cancer and multiple skin cancer tags removed, so that makes this scary, plus he has been waiting on a tooth implant for a year and a half, but his heart Doctor will not clear him for surgery for the tooth because he is in a constant arrhythmia that they haven't been able to fix and the only way at this kidney tumor is surgery so he is seeing the heart Doctor next.

Saturday, got to watch my daughter compete at the state power lifting championship competing in the 125 pound class.

Last night, I got to attend a banquet for my daughter as she got awarded a High School "Letter" in academia. The school started a program 17 years ago, giving out "Letters" for a letterman's jacket, for all Sophomore and older kids with greater than a 3.5 accumulative GPA, and Kimberly is a Sophomore this year, so I was a proud papa. :)

I haven't told Kimberly about her Grandpa yet. :(

Roger  

• Like 9

Morning everybody, I have tried to keep up on what is going on around here.  Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about my pals over here at CC&C.  I hope all is well with everyone.   Roger sorry about your dad.  It seems as I am still a young adult, when it comes to parents getting sick, putting our beloved pets down.  I haven't had to deal with as much as you guys have.  But I do have sympathy for you all.  I know were I can turn when I do have to deal with those things.   Great group of folks here. 

Well got to run, take care everyone.

• Like 5

Good morning,

Looking forward to gathering with college friends at MSU's Wharton Center for Motown the Musical, a Broadway show celebrating Motown music. Dinner first at The University Club and then the collection of geezers board buses to go to the venue. It should be fun.

The trick will be avoiding discussions of politics and health issues. Perhaps we can keep the conversation on Spartan basketball, a topic on which we all agree.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 5

Where do you draw the line with care for pets?

I was at a customer's home the other day, where she had a sweet 12 year old Dachshund/something mix with a bad ACL. The dog managed reasonably well, but it was sad seeing her in pain (the dog, not the customer). Surgery for the knee was out of the question as $8,200 had just been spent on the dog for other medical issues.

How you decide how much is too much?

It is hard to draw a line for obvious reasons. We lost our standard poodle, Maximus a couple of months ago to lymphoma. He was great for a month after diagnosis on prednisone, then it stopped helping him and it was time. We even went to a vet oncologist in OKC to see what our options were. Chemo was $5000 and could only give him 6 months to a year.

We have a rescued Dachshund that had been used as a foot ball be previous owners. Every year he would get down in his back for a month. About 18 months ago, he got down and couldn't use his back legs. We went so far as to have a penectomy done since he could only drag himself around the hosue and it was destroying his penis. The vet had no confidence he would ever get better. Then, about six months ago, he started walking again! One rear leg is obviously not as good as the other, but he motivates around like he owns the place. So, the point of the story is that you just never know with some pets; others, you do know when it is time. 

We obviously rescue a lot of dogs, but we are getting older and can no longer take anymore in. The county we live in does not have any kind of shelter. Nearest one is Fort Smith. Judy tried running a shelter here on our property, but it soon swelled to over 200 dogs. She could  not getting any financial help from anyone. No government, no private funding could be had. The shelter had to stop. I am amazed at how some folks consider animals to just be trash to be thrown out. She has been a groomer for almost 50 years and still helps to place animals in proper homes. 

We love all our dogs (no we don't have 200!), and still take boarders into our home. Folks like placing them here since we treat them like family and don't confine them to cages only to be taken out once a day. Anyway, this was just to show that our pets are family and we wished everyone thought the same. We understand the loss of one of our kids, It hurts as bad as one of our biological children, but death is the other side of the coin as birth. We live through it and celebrate the life and joy pets brig to us lowly humans. I know of no other human that can love unconditionally as our pets.

Enough soapbox.

• Like 6

Hi Gang!

I have been working a lot this week, trying to put a little back for Hope.

It has been an emotional rollercoaster this week.

Found out just a couple of days ago that Dad has a tumor in his kidney. Dad has been urinating blood for better than a month so he got checked out. Dad has had prostate Cancer and multiple skin cancer tags removed, so that makes this scary, plus he has been waiting on a tooth implant for a year and a half, but his heart Doctor will not clear him for surgery for the tooth because he is in a constant arrhythmia that they haven't been able to fix and the only way at this kidney tumor is surgery so he is seeing the heart Doctor next.

Saturday, got to watch my daughter compete at the state power lifting championship competing in the 125 pound class.

Last night, I got to attend a banquet for my daughter as she got awarded a High School "Letter" in academia. The school started a program 17 years ago, giving out "Letters" for a letterman's jacket, for all Sophomore and older kids with greater than a 3.5 accumulative GPA, and Kimberly is a Sophomore this year, so I was a proud papa. :)

I haven't told Kimberly about her Grandpa yet. :(

Roger

Praying for you Roger. Lost my dad to prostate cancer a year ago November. I'm glad you're there for support.

Congrats on your daughter. The light and heavy of life...

• Like 7

Evening gang..

Was crazy busy today.... 1st time I had a chance to check in....

Roger....Sorry for the news on your dad......Good vibes and prayers coming your way my man..... Super cool stuff with your daughter... Yea man... Power lifter.... I can hear you now telling her "Move that KP600 stack there......and move that one over there and that one here :lol:

JL..... ahhhhh sorry my man.... ya won't have to much luck welding that radiator,,,,might hold for a bit.... but it's gonna blow... Radiator shop won't fool with plastic... Radiator repair is a dying industry..... most all cars now have plastic rads..... Rad shops still do big trucks and those kind of vehicles.... I know with the Honda's most people get 10-12 years out of there plastic rads....and what happens most of the time they get a stress crack right under the rad cap on the top tank..... What kind of vehicle is it.... Most plastic rads are cheap.... I did a Civic last week and my cost on the rad was $49 bucks and it was a Denso Rad... Denso is OEM for Honda's ... Also a really good rad is the Koyo rads.... I've lost count on how many Koyo's I've done and I have had zero returns. Yea they are made in China....Hell I get OEM dealer parts made in China...

OK gonna roll... gotta a super crazy busy day tomorrow... got a big stack brake parts at the shop waiting for me.....I'll make more money tomorrow and Friday than I have in the last two weeks.....It's nuts I tell ya.... nuts....

MKP :-)

post-58704-0-60520000-1458185242_thumb.j

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE
  • Like 10

Motown The Musical was fantastic. The way they weaved the music into the story of Berry Gordy, Motown, Detroit and the nation was superb.

During dinner, for the most part, we were able to avoid discussing politics and hip replacements. Spartan basketbal trumped politics. As always, pun intended.

The young (senior at MSU) daughter of one of the couples was there with her boyfriend. The fine young man survived being vetted throughout dinner by six sexagenerians. The men were at one table and the women at the other. The poor guy was peppered by questions from six "dads." I can't imagine being in his position. He acquitted himself admirably, especially when he remarked how impressed he was that we all stayed so close decades after college.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 9

The flooding is terrible.  My wife spent time last night gathering up things to donate to the victims.  The flooding is right up the road from us.  They even closed a stretch of Interstate 10 at the Louisiana border due to the flooding.  I've never seen that happen outside of a hurricane.

More bad news this morning.  The local Humane Society had a fire that originated at one of their dryers from an excessive build up of lint.  It took fire fighters 3 hours to put it out and killed 74 dogs.  I gave mine an extra hug this morning before I left for work.

On the bright side, it's just today and tomorrow to go and the weekend will be upon us once again.

Mark, send me a couple brake jobs you gravy sucker!

• Like 8