When Did We Become So Wimpy On The Forum?

tidmack

6 hours ago, Chad said:

This thread... HOOO BOY.... Where do I start? 

Wait, I won't. I've got sh*t to do! B)

I don't have any suggestions on where to start, but I have read several threads where people keep looking for Klipsch badges and I've noticed scores of badges that look like OEM badges that have been sold for up to a hundred bucks a pair on eBay over the years. :angry:

It got me thinking and I’m wondering if there was some occasional salami slicing going on in the parts department a long time ago with all of these Klipsch copper badges always popping up on eBay where quantities seem to far exceed the number of disassembled, and parted-out speakers. In some respects, similar to many of the old meat cutters that I knew in the 70s that seemed to have large collections of supermarket butcher knives at home.  :ohmy: 

Since not all look like reproductions, I was "inspired" to rework an old Wayne Kemp song recorded by Johnny Cash that was titled "One Piece at a Time."  Of course, I already know, don't quit my day job as I'll never be able to write a parody like that weird Yankovic fellow. :emotion-14:

“An Ode to the Klipsch Copper Badge”

Well, I left Kentucky back in '49

An' went to Klipsch, workin' on the 'sembly line

That first year, they had me puttin' a BADGE on a speaker grill.

Every day I'd watch them speakers roll by

And sometimes I'd hang my head an' cry

'Cause I wanted them Horns, made of Rosewood Brazil.

One day I devised my plan  :emotion-55: 

That should be the envy of most any man

I'd sneak speakers out, in a lunchbox held by hand.

Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired

But I figured I'd have it all, by the time I retired

I'd have my own Klipsch, worth at least a hundred grand.

Well, I'd get my Klipsch one piece at a time

These Horns wouldn't cost me a dime

You'll know it's me, when the volume DON'T GO DOWN.

I'm gonna blast my music, styled 

I'm gonna drive everybody, wild

'Cause I'll have my Klipsch, along the streets of town.

So the very next day when I punched in

With my big lunchbox, an' help of my friend

I left that day, with a lunchbox full of tweets.

Now, I never considered myself a thief

Klipsch wouldn't miss just one little piece

'Specially if strung out, over a hundred weeks.  :ph34r2: 

That first day, I got some grill cloth

The next day I got the woofs, for behind that swath

Then I got a big speaker box, an' that fancy ol' veneer.

The little things I could get in my big lunchbox

Like wires, caps, an’ horns, an' caulks

But the big stuff, we snuck out in my buddy's ol' Wagoneer.

Up to now my plan went right

'Til we tried to put the Horns together one night

That's when we noticed, somethin' was definitely wrong.  :ohmy: 

The woofers were from ‘53

The crossovers, turned out to be ‘73

An' when we tried to put in the screws, all the holes were gone.

So we drilled em’ out to make it all fit

An' with a little help, from a RADIO SHACK A-DAPTOR KIT 

We had them Horns blasting out a song.  :emotion-29: 

Now the tweets were another sight

We had two on the left, an' three on the right

But we switched on the amp, an' all five come on.

The Speaker Horns looked kinda' funny too

But we put em' together, an' when we got thru

Well, that's when we noticed, we only had ONE KLIPSCH NAME PLATE.  :wacko2: 

About that time my wife walked out

An' I could see in her eyes, she had some doubt

Well, she just turned it up, an' said "Honey, let's dance for our date."  :emotion-25: 

So we turned the music up, as loud as it would go

Then brought out the BEER :emotion-22: 'n' brats, an' Sloppy Joe

Now we could hear everybody, happy an' partyin' for blocks around.

But up at Corporate, Chad an' the rest, they didn't laugh

'Cause they could hear music, jealous, the whole staff

Feeling pride, full of Klipsch sound, we said "come now, just PARTY DOWN."

Well, I got my Klipsch one piece at a time

An' these Horns didn't cost me a dime

You'll know it's me, when the volume DON'T GO DOWN

I'm gonna blast my music, styled  :emotion-29: 

I'm gonna drive everybody, wild

'Cause I'll have all the Klipsch there is in town.

Huh? Yow, Tarheel an' his Cables, Coffee, an' Cocktails club

This is fjd

Playin’ records through my PSYCHO-BILLY KLIPSCH, what?

Huh, what them Horns cost?

Negatory on the cost of my Klipsch there Tarheel

You might say I went right up to the factory

An' picked them up, it's cheaper that way  :emotion-14: 

Huh, what model are they?

Well they’re '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59 Klipsch,

They’re '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67, '68, '69, '70 big ol' Klipsch Horns…..

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:53 AM, oscarsear said:

The forums are now scrubbed and sterilized to prevent any notions of freedom of thought or speech on any subjects possibly controversial.  Dr - you have cured the patient - they died.

The place is just no fun any longer.  It is not informative or entertaining or thought provoking.  And no doubt my post will get deleted.

heh

It's like Facebook with politically correct rules.

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

you mean with a cloth...like the one Hillary used on her server?

Something like that...

Steve - have you seen the movie "The Finest Hours" about the CG rescue in the early 1950s? Wife and I watched it yesterday and liked it a lot.

Bruce

On September 7, 2016 at 4:58 PM, jimjimbo said:

Yea Dean, you're right, I'm an example of what's wrong with this place....

I guess I won't be helping anyone find speakers or other gear they may be looking for (not mine) all over the country any longer.

I guess I won't be updating crossovers or cleaning and repairing other gear for anyone, for free, any longer.

I guess I won't be taking an enormous amount of my personal time to pick up and deliver speakers and other gear to others, at my own expense.

I guess I won't be making the pilgrimage to Hope to meet and get to know fellow forum members.

I guess I won't be taking a car load of gear to Hope, in order to demo a few things that others have asked about.

I guess I won't be sending parts and other gear that I can no longer use to other forum members, and asking nothing in return.

I guess I won't be donating money to other forum members who may have fallen on difficult times.

I guess I won't be attending any local get together's, so that we can know each other and form friendships.

Admirable stuff for sure. Been there done that many times myself. However, some of that gets washed away when you get nasty with people - and I've done plenty of that myself. I've been trying to change that - but you a few others don't make it easy on me. 

On September 8, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Chief bonehead said:

Deano. You should be in politics. You have a knack for twisting things around. Follow the bouncing ball.... Anyone wants to make something... Fine. Go promote it somewhere else. Pretty simple huh?

and heck yes I have an agenda...to promote KLIPSCH products on the KLIPSCH forum.  

on something a lot more important, you doing ok?

I'm on the Klipsch Forum, so technically speaking - I am in politics!

As has been pointed out, you guys have no repair facilty, and more times than not, either won't, or can't provide replacement parts. I called your parts department because I wanted to buy some K-401s for my LaScalas, and was told Klipsch wasn't selling those anymore - they actually sent me to Simply Speakers. Guess I'll stick with Fastlane Audio. 

You guys need to change your TOS. There is no rule against promotion, only blatant advertising and solicitation. Seriously, I wish you would lighten up a little. Vendors provide a valuable service. If it wasn't for us, a lot of Heritage stuff would be parted out or chucked into dumpsters. Most people can't afford the prices you guys are charging for crossovers, horns and drivers - much less a new pair of Klipschorns or LaScalas. 

I think your plan to shutdown vendor promotion is going to backfire on you. If I don't promote myself, others will promote me - what's the difference? Put the hammer down, and people will just quit posting or leave altogether - we've already seen some of that. What's interesting here is that service is being provided that Klipsch doesn't really provide - so how is any of this affecting your bottom line?  

You're really different on the forum than you are in person. I believe this is hurting your reputation with those who don't know you. I absolutely worry about this - because if you are going to be the face of Klipsch out here - then you might want to think about that. I'm saying this as a friend. 

How am I doing? Not especially enjoying this friction between us. 

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, Deang said:

I'm on the Klipsch Forum, so technically speaking - I am in politics!

As has been pointed out, you guys have no repair facilty, and more times than not, either won't, or can't provide replacement parts. I called your parts department because I wanted to buy some K-401s for my LaScalas, and was told Klipsch wasn't selling those anymore - they actually sent me to Simply Speakers. Guess I'll stick with Fastlane Audio. 

You guys need to change your TOS. There is no rule against promotion, only blatant advertising and solicitation. Seriously, I wish you would lighten up a little. Vendors provide a valuable service. If it wasn't for us, a lot of Heritage stuff would be parted out or chucked into dumpsters. Most people can't afford the prices you guys are charging for crossovers, horns and drivers - much less a new pair of Klipschorns or LaScalas. 

I think your plan to shutdown vendor promotion is going to backfire on you. If I don't promote myself, others will promote me - what's the difference? Put the hammer down, and people will just quit posting or leave altogether - we've already seen some of that. What's interesting here is that service is being provided that Klipsch doesn't really provide - so how is any of this affecting your bottom line?  

You're really different on the forum than you are in person. I believe this is hurting your reputation with those who don't know you. I absolutely worry about this - because if you are going to be the face of Klipsch out here - then you might want to think about that. I'm saying this as a friend. 

How am I doing? Not especially enjoying this friction between us. 

Ask me about peddlers on the klipsch forum in person. I would bet I am even more animated about this in person. 

Whether or not we provide parts is not the issue. It's the so called upgrades by peddlers that are not klipsch approved or endorsed and then the audacity to come on the klipsch forum and proclaim them as upgrades. You want other horns, go there. You want other drivers, go there. 

And if we have to change the rules I bet I can get that done......

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

You want other horns, go there. You want other drivers, go there. 

For the most part, we'd like original Klipsch replacement parts.  Many times they're not available.  A Klipsch factory repair facility to send crossovers and plate amps to would be awesome as well.

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Chief bonehead said:

Change? CHANGE?!? NOOOOOOOOOOO WE HATE CHANGE!!!1!!

In all seriousness, the forums should have had slightly "stricter" rules or at least rules that were more clear from day 1 (regarding a lot of things). Sadly, that wasn't the case. People always forget the fact that Klipsch's logo is at the top and we gotta protect ourselves as a brand and legacy. Has really nothing to do with being "wimpy".

• Like 6

I have been here a pretty long time (13yrs) even though I never "lived" here or have had tons of posts over the years.  I have certainly taken much more from this site than I have given and I am very grateful for what I have learned. Having said that, all I have learned has come from the members here.  Now this surprising jump of the shark has taken place and lets be honest, there are a few here that I personally know (not responding yet) that are raising an eyebrow at some of these responses coming from the powers that be.  If this is going to be your forum now, and by "yours" I mean with a resentful agenda for the people seeking a "different" sound, you might want to look at what the majority of the members here discuss, which is modding their speakers. This forum has basically been built from this, not "what color paint is that Industrial black?" We all know that Klipsch has to make financial decisions on components for the speakers and products they sell, but you cant get mad because there are better drivers or components that are actual upgrades that white pages and ears can confirm. We have all been talking about it here since almost the beginning of public web access.  There are many innuendos from responses in the past few heated threads that are basically pushing to silence some of the members and topics here.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Ask me about peddlers on the klipsch forum in person. I would bet I am even more animated about this in person. 

Whether or not we provide parts is not the issue. It's the so called upgrades by peddlers that are not klipsch approved or endorsed and then the audacity to come on the klipsch forum and proclaim them as upgrades. You want other horns, go there. You want other drivers, go there. 

In all respect, where do we draw the line on this? One of my tweeters went out on my KG 5.5's and the forum members pointed me to Crites for their Ti replacements which is technically an upgrade but that was the only reputable vendor I knew to go to. Same thing with my LaScalas that had aftermarket crossovers and had new tweeters before I purchased them. Are we only talking about commercial vendors here or any display of tweaked or customized speakers such as time aligning LaScalas, the 'Cornscala', going with active crossovers or even people building their own heritage speakers? I think if Klipsch is going to set stricter rules on this they need to be clear on 'authorized' vendors etc.

I generally see two types of Klipsch customers. The first is the guy with disposable income who walks into Best Buy and sees cool looking speakers with copper woofers and gets sold a lot of fluff from a rookie sales guy and walks out with the set with little knowledge of what he just bought. The reality is that these people are what keep the company going as a modern speaker manufacturer. If anything, Klispch should be more concerned about what some of these uninformed sales reps are saying, particularity with regards to garbage I have heard about amp wattage requirements. I was a member of this group before coming here and gaining a wealth of knowledge from the older members, including those with aftermarket products.

The second type is the 'core' group of Klipsch fanatics that frequent the forums. They have an appreciation for the Reference stuff but are more interested in the history and legacy of the company and their passion has created a small cottage industry, particularly for the older heritage line. Aside from those with the wealth to buy the newest top end models, most of this group does not contribute much to Klipsch's bottom line directly. However, they know more about Klipsch than an entire sales team at every Best Buy in a state combined and will most likely recommend Klipsch to every co-worker, neighbor and friend that is looking for a stereo or HT rig and are in essence brand ambassadors. If a forum member's buddy came over and listened to some hot-rodded LaScalas and is blown away, he is not going to think, "Well, those arent true Klispch that brand must be bad" he is going to think Klispch is awesome and go to Best Buy with the forum member and pick out some modern speakers that his wife will allow in the home. My concern is that by clamping too far down, Klispch will alienate these people away from the forum and possibly the brand itself which is counter to what is good for Klipsch in the long run.

There is already a massive generation gap in mid/high level audio creating an industry crisis and we really need these knowledgeable people here to inspire younger music lovers to care about audio quality enough to buy Klipsch over Bose crap. Especially all the college kids with money that go to the club every weekend riding the EDM craze and listen to horn loaded Funktion One speakers and want a similar sound at home but dont know where to look not knowing that Klipsch is waiting to fill that exact need as compression drivers have the dynamics to bring the best out of modern Trance, Dubstep and House music which is 99% of what young people listen to.  

Anyway, that is just my .02.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chief bonehead said:

This makes me sad and a little bit mad.  I'm tired of the enthusiasts being run off here.   I certainly understand and appreciate your enthusiasm for Klipsch especially considering your role there.  I also understand your frustration with the use of the term "upgrade."  I can even see how that could be felt as a slap in the face to engineers and employees who work hard to produce the Klipsch product.   "Upgrade" is a subjective term and perhaps a fair compromise would be to call them "modifications"  which is after all in the name of the one of the forum areas.    One persons "upgrade" isn't necessarily someone else's.   If I swap in a "performance" chip in my car to get a little more power but find that my gas mileage plummets I will either decide I like that or maybe it isn't worth the trade off.  There are always trade offs in audio.  

When I share my anectdotal experience about various horns or crossovers I've tried and state that in my opinion one part is an upgrade or improvement over another I'm just sharing my experience.  If you say that I didn't give enough objective scientific analysis then I say, fine... teach us how or do it yourself.  I understand that some of this burden belongs to the builder.  Maybe they don't have that kind of knowledge or money.   If people can't talk about modifications ( as well as how and where to get them) then this forum has far less interest to me.

SO... what are the lines between which we must walk so as to not offend Klipsch?    What is the procedure for a peddler to achieve Klipsch approval  or endorsement of their alternative part?

44 minutes ago, Chad said:

Change? CHANGE?!? NOOOOOOOOOOO WE HATE CHANGE!!!1!!

In all seriousness, the forums should have had slightly "stricter" rules or at least rules that were more clear from day 1 (regarding a lot of things). Sadly, that wasn't the case. People always forget the fact that Klipsch's logo is at the top and we gotta protect ourselves as a brand and legacy. Has really nothing to do with being "wimpy".

Legacy?  You have people all over here saving your products from the dust bins and spreading admiration for Klipsch.  I've always thought it was really cool of Klipsch to support/allow the discourse here.  They have a good enough product and provide a good enough value they really shouldn't feel threatened by a bunch of tinkerers.   I thought Klipsch employees liked us... we bought y'all lunch just a few months ago.  

• Like 3

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, muel said:

They have a good enough product and provide a good enough value they really shouldn't feel threatened by a bunch of tinkerers.   I thought Klipsch employees liked us...

We aren't "threatened" by a bunch of "tinkerers". The mere existence of the forums should prove that to you. I think you read too much into what I've said. We love our loyal customers. :)

• Like 1